Relocate A/C HND to RNT Via Florida

bharris

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bernie - N7AUH
I am planning an adventure to relocate my airplane from Henderson Nevada to Renton Washington.

My wife has a meeting in Clearwater Fl the first part of May. Then we want to visit some friends near Morehead City NC. As long as we are close, we would like to visit our daughter in Manhattan, NYC. Then In early June, we have a wedding to attend in Portland, OR.

Since I have just received my IR, I thought that I could do this trip without serious jeopardy of getting stuck somewhere due to ceilings and visibility concerns.

I know it is ambitious, and my wife will probably fly commercial for most of the longer segments due to her job's time constraints. Therefore, I would not be subject to "gotta get there" pressure if TS, icing, or other severe WX causes delay in my progress.

I have done some preliminary planning that has brought up some questions.

1) The segment from PIE to MRH seems to be littered with MOAs and restricted areas. How much re-routing is likely on that route? I would like to stop for fuel based on AirNav pricing, but that plan could be foiled by a major re-route.

2) What are the challenges going into White Plains, NY on an IFR flight plan?

3) What are the best routes out of the New York area for IFR?

4) Any suggestions on routing back to the Pacific Northwest?

Bernie Harris
N7895W

In my experience, if you are on an IFR flight plan, MOA deviations are not too terribly bad. YMMV.

Back