Release from SI program for ADHD

MyDimeIsUp

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
‌‌
Hey all,

I have a question regarding my involvement in the special issuance program. I did the whole circus act for the FAA to have my ADHD diagnosis removed in 2020. Every year I reapply I need a note from my primary care physician stating that I'm no longer receiving treatment for ADHD and that there are no updates regarding it. I haven't been receiving treatment since 2017 for ADHD, with the diagnosis being considered invalid in 2020 by Dr. Gary Kay. I called CAMI in OKC today and they said that I would need to contact my AME and he would file paperwork, send it to OKC, and the doctors at OKC would review and possibly have me released from the SI program. I do have a couple of questions

1. My previous senior AME is no longer near me as he closed his one office up here. My new AME is not listed as a senior AME who deals with HIMS. Would he still be ok or is SI release work with ADHD still best done by a senior AME?
2. What paperwork needs to be done to be released from SI.
3. What is the possibility of being released from SI in the first place? I haven't been treated since 2017 and don't plan on any more treatment as I've been doing very well in life. What if the paperwork is denied do I just keep my medical or do they revoke my medical and require another song and dance?

Thanks all

try a regular ame near you first. Or call CAMI back and akks them the same questions you have here.

But how many years since you FIRST SI was authorized?
2 years ago. I got my medical approved and was put on SI in August 2020. Heres the original I got in August 2020
Jt4IJXP.png

Well the agency has no intention of releasing you for four further years......and that's a FIRST CLASS so there is no room to give anything here.....

Well the agency has no intention of releasing you for four further years......and that's a FIRST CLASS so there is no room to give anything here.....
Gotcha. I didn't find much info on what happens when my SI expires in 2026. Do I have to do the whole neuropsych eval again, do they just require some paperwork for another SI to be issued, or do they release me if they see that nothing has changed during the time of my SI issuance?

assuming you have a hims ame, all these can be addressed to him/her.

Got word from my AME (non-HIMS). Authorization expires in April 2026, while my 1st class medical is not valid for any class after April 2023 (its a 1-year medical). Near April 2026 I'm told that I'll just need to send a doctor's note stating that there are no updates regarding my ADHD diagnosis and they should issue another SI. No word on being completely released from the SI program though :(

Welcome to the FAA's "Hotel California, you can check-in but can never check-out." You've got balls to keep dancing with the FAA medical clowns. I can't imagine investing all the money to pursue professional pilot career and in effect the FAA is keeping you on a leash with their attitude of "will wait and see if we renew your SI." In the FAA's eyes, "As with pedophilia having no cure, even if ADHD was a childhood event, it may pop up anytime during your lifetime."

pedophilia is not a disqualifying condition.
Welcome to the FAA's "Hotel California, you can check-in but can never check-out." You've got balls to keep dancing with the FAA medical clowns. I can't imagine investing all the money to pursue professional pilot career and in effect the FAA is keeping you on a leash with their attitude of "will wait and see if we renew your SI." In the FAA's eyes, "As with pedophilia having no cure, even if ADHD was a childhood event, it may pop up anytime during your lifetime."

My Dime:

ADHD is not necessarily a child hood event, Guest. Not by a long shot.

If one is fortunate and the frontal lobe skills develop (@ age 25 is where that stops, generally) then after multiple years (five is common) of advancing through the ratings, no accidents/incidents, no ATO complaints, and favorable CFI reports, you will be released from followup.

But some never develop and they just "grind along".

Some develop and they excel: and that is why it is judged "as you go along". I had one then 21 year old, who was weak, was granted the SI, and went PVT-inst.Airplane; MEI;CFI-CFI-I, CFI MEI; ATP, (18 months later had 750 hrs of dual given) and was hired by a legacy airline.

He got let off in 3 years. And I can tell you when we started all this he was BARELY READY to be set loose with an automobile. We will soon be calling him "Captain".

B

Last edited:
My Dime:

ADHD is not necessarily a child hood event, Guest. Not by a long shot.

If one is fortunate and the frontal lobe skills develop (@ age 25 is where that stops, generally) then after multiple years (five is common) of advancing through the ratings, no accidents/incidents, no ATO complaints, and favorable CFI reports, you will be released from followup.

But some never develop and they just "grind along".

Some develop and they excel: and that is why it is judged "as you go along". I had one then 21 year old, who was weak, was granted the SI, and went PVT-inst.Airplane; MEI;CFI-CFI-I, CFI MEI; ATP, (18 months later had 750 hrs of dual given) and was hired by a legacy airline.

He got let off in 3 years. And I can tell you when we started all this he was BARELY READY to be set loose with an automobile. We will soon be calling him "Captain".

B
So is the fast track a special issuance or is it different than the old regular track SI?

It's sure not fast track. That one is issused by the AME in his office and is not an SI.

It's sure not fast track. That one is issused by the AME in his office and is not an SI.
Ah ok, didn’t know with the audit stuff you mentioned earlier if they go back and change them or their nature. Thanks for the reply.

Back