Relationship counseling

T

Tom Porerri

The "Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners" says of item 19 on the medical (i.e. visits to a professional): "The applicant should list visits for counseling only if related to a personal substance abuse or psychiatric condition." (my emphasis).

I'm considering talking to a counselor specifically about relationship issues.

Is the matter as clear-cut as it sounds, i.e. always 100% non-reportable?

I have long-ago "PRNC" anxiety (no meds, no other diagnoses), which I am hoping based on the very clear wording above is irrelevant to the reportability / non-reportability of counseling sessions.

Pay cash and ask not to be formally diagnosed. Insurance companies want a dx code as part of the claim. I used to work for a behavioral health provider and helping the billing department was part of the job.

I'm not an AME, but the text you quoted seems pretty unambiguous on this.

don't report at your own hazard. If anxiety or depression are present and you saw a health care provider - report. If I was your AME and after discussion,seeing records and agree it is simple relationship issues, I would issue and send said records to FAA.

I'm not an AME, but the text you quoted seems pretty unambiguous on this.

I'm not either but pretty sure I recall Dr. Bruce saying multiple times that marriage counseling is specifically excepted and I suppose "relationship counseling" amounts to the same, and if you want to be completely safe @tlglenn is correct: pay cash, do not give the therapist your insurance information.

But I'm not an AME, one of them shall be along shortly I'm sure.

don't report at your own hazard. If anxiety or depression are present and you saw a health care provider - report. If I was your AME and after discussion,seeing records and agree it is simple relationship issues, I would issue and send said records to FAA.

And as I spake.... :)

Dr. Bruce will have to speak for himself if I'm misremembering what he's said in the past.

Where I see you have a point would be if the therapist ends up diagnosing you for anxiety or depression even if you ask them not to, and you pay cash and don't report. You are not lying if you are unaware that he wrote down that diagnosis! But good luck convincing anybody you didn't lie.

To be even safer, get your "relationship counseling" from a priest in Confession. They write nothing down AFAIK.

After rereading the OP, because of the history of PRNC anxiety yes in that case reporting the sessions might be prudent but still seems like an unnecessary can of worms.

Thanks all for the responses.

The counselor I'm thinking of seeing is truly a 'relationship counselor' - they don't offer more general therapy for mental health, and there would be no insurance involved (so no pressure to make a diagnosis to get paid). Without going into detail, I think the issues involved would be recognized as straightforwardly 'relationship based'!

I'm not sure what kind of records they keep, TBH, but I'll bear all of the above in mind at next medical.

And as I spake.... :)

Dr. Bruce will have to speak for himself if I'm misremembering what he's said in the past.

Where I see you have a point would be if the therapist ends up diagnosing you for anxiety or depression even if you ask them not to, and you pay cash and don't report. You are not lying if you are unaware that he wrote down that diagnosis! But good luck convincing anybody you didn't lie.

To be even safer, get your "relationship counseling" from a priest in Confession. They write nothing down AFAIK.
THIS!!
I will usually indicate that I have reviewed said record and retained it in the office.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back