Reklaw

Come to Reklaw, maybe there will be a fight. New Motto: If you don't die flying in, or get killed by an airplane falling from the sky, maybe you'll get your ass kicked! Although there's no internet there, so I'm not sure how the guys will get behind their keyboards to fight! :)

HAHA that is awesome. Good motto.

That's another thing Jack. It was probably several schools, Oxford Aviation Academy, ASU and Mesquite call signs (not sure of the school other than Texas but largely Asian students that fly out of the Phoenix area) along with other pilots holding for entry to the ILS for runway 5 above the Stanfield Vortac. (Hence the "stack" talk you heard) I've flown in there with the same chatter and the wind favored 28. I keyed up and asked, "are we on runway five or two eight today?" and two people answered, "they are doing approaches to five but we're using 28 because of the wind." Sure enough I crossed midfield 500' above pattern altitude following a Bonanza who was turning base for a full stop when I heard in a heavy Chinese accent, "Mesquite six free on a pive mile pinal lunway pive." I continued on and turned base and final announcing all the way and landed when I saw the guy on final for 5 off set his approach to the South. I went in for breakfast and after talking to several pilots there I found out that they always do that. So I don't got there very much anymore.

Um CC268, Jack and I aren't fighting; we actually agree with one another. Plus I know at least one of us isn't old or a curmudgeon. ;)

Um CC268, Jack and I aren't fighting; we actually agree with one another. Plus I know at least one of us isn't old or a curmudgeon. ;)
I'm 43, which seems young to me, but more and more people are calling me sir!

I'm a bit older but still not even close to curmudgeon status.

So, CC268...:raspberry:

Oh I wasn't referring to you guys at all...I was talking about that guy in the pattern you were referring to in your previous post.

That's another thing Jack. It was probably several schools, Oxford Aviation Academy, ASU and Mesquite call signs (not sure of the school other than Texas but largely Asian students that fly out of the Phoenix area) along with other pilots holding for entry to the ILS for runway 5 above the Stanfield Vortac. (Hence the "stack" talk you heard) I've flown in there with the same chatter and the wind favored 28. I keyed up and asked, "are we on runway five or two eight today?" and two people answered, "they are doing approaches to five but we're using 28 because of the wind." Sure enough I crossed midfield 500' above pattern altitude following a Bonanza who was turning base for a full stop when I heard in a heavy Chinese accent, "Mesquite six free on a pive mile pinal lunway pive." I continued on and turned base and final announcing all the way and landed when I saw the guy on final for 5 off set his approach to the South. I went in for breakfast and after talking to several pilots there I found out that they always do that. So I don't got there very much anymore.

Yep - Transpac is all Chinese and Westwind is all Korean. I walked into Westwind one time and I was literally the only non Korean person in there other than two people at the front desk.

I had one of them (Mesquite call sign) over at Wickenburg who had noooo idea what they were doing. I was crossing midfield to enter the downwind at Wickenburg and this guy had taken off a few minutes prior and said he was departing northeast. He was really departing northwest. So he followed me downwind and I had no idea what his intentions were. I asked over the radio what his intentions were and never got a response. It was a little scary because I didn't want to turn base since he was behind me and I didn't know where he was going!

I'm hardly ever serious and even when I am, I'm probably kidding. You ever fly somewhere in Southern Arizona and see a white blue and gray Cherokee, N5660U, come say hi.

I'm baffled as to why Reklaw doesn't develop a standard approach procedure for each runway. It isn't difficult -- just pick a point on the ground 15 miles out where everyone gets in line and follows the "x" heading (whatever it may be) to the field. Or pick a road, if there is one.

Publish the GPS points and procedure on their website. OSH an SNF make this work like a charm.

If Reklaw were to do that and there was a wreck that could in any way be tied to their procedures then their liability would be far higher than if they just say "follow the FAA regs" as they do today. There isn't a good middle ground really. It's kind of a "get the FAA involved or don't do anything" situation.

I'm hardly ever serious and even when I am, I'm probably kidding. You ever fly somewhere in Southern Arizona and see a white blue and gray Cherokee, N5660U, come say hi.

Will do!!

Jay, honestly I don't everyone looks at it as it's as dangerous as you do. They do ask you to fly a standard left-hand pattern. I've heard pilots talk about how hectic it is, and I've heard a few say they'll never go there again, but I think the majority enjoy it and don't want it to change.

All air traffic must enter / use left hand pattern, including fly-bys and foto flights. Monitor 122.9 for traffic. Remember some aircraft may not have radios, so stay alert!
While I don't disagree that many, perhaps a majority, like it as is and don't want to change it, anyone who's arrived at a busy time can not possibly fail to recognize the danger of multiple aircraft of widely different performance operating in close proximity. It is dangerous but some people just accept it. I for one will either arrive and depart early/late to avoid the congestion, or just not go. I fervently hope no accidents occur but it's just a matter of time given the numbers. Every year I've attend (three), there have been accidents either landing or taking off or taxiing. Thankfully no midairs.

I have friends on the ground at Reklaw posting videos to Facebook that are fairly amazing. It's a beautiful day here in Texas, and I hope it all works out for everyone.

We must be Curmudgeons-to-be.

I'm 50, but I've been a curmudgeon for years already!

Just got back from Reklaw, my third time flying in/out. Actually, a bit "tame" this year. The normal stupid-pilot-tricks were just as abundant this year as any other year, but no accidents...yet. There's still one more day...

Back