Reklaw!

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Dunno if you boys and girls have heard of this annual fly in, held at the Flying M Ranch each year, but it's got a reputation for being the baddest-ass fly in on the planet, in a state full of bigger than life, bad-ass people.

And I mean that in a good way. :)

Well, we attended today. Hoe-Lee-Chit, what an amazingly wonderful cluster-**** of insanity, sort of a cross between a Hell's Angel Rally, your mother's bridge club, and Burning Man.

Oh, but with airplanes. 500+ airplanes. On a 4000' grass strip, in the middle of nowhere, with few rules.

In one day, hell, one hour, I saw more close calls and aviation insanity than in my previous two decades of flying. We spent the day vacillating between wonder, awe, shock, and fear. It was cool, and terrifying.

ADS-B traffic was a godsend and a curse today. On the one hand, it may have saved our lives. On the other hand, it scared me so much, I nearly flew home. My screen looked like it was covered with ants, all of them within 5 miles of this strip, all seemingly going in random directions -- including straight up.

Still, I pressed on. Winds were perfectly favoring RWY 20, for which I was set up from the moment we launched from the coast. Strangely, as we flew into radio range, everyone was landing on RWY 02 -- the reciprocal runway. A direct (if light) tailwind.

When I was five miles out, maneuvering to join the "pattern" to land, someone came on the radio and announced that the field was closed for the next five minutes. Everyone had to go somewhere, so we went to nearby Cherokee County, with gas for just $4.48 a gallon! Sweet! (Never thought I would think $4+/gallon was cheap, but here we are...)

As I was gassing up, the FBO guy showed me a cellphone picture he had just received of a Thorp T-18 that had gone off the end of the Reklaw runway, into a pond. Yup, landing downwind, he soared right into the drink, and they were pulling the remains of the plane back down the runway, forcing the runway closure. Ouch.

So, after fueling, we launch for the 10 mile flight back into the maelstrom. Amazingly, I enter a downwind for a completely invisible runway, based solely on my GPS. The strip is surrounded by 100' tall pine trees, making it utterly invisible from the sides.

I pressed on, slicing through base to final, and roll out on a nice stabilized approach. A guy calls out "Do I have enough time to get out?" -- to which I stupidly say "Sure, go ahead!"

And he sits there. And he doesn't move. Finally, he begins to roll, agonizingly slowly, but now I'm on short final -- too late. I announce I'm going around.

I rejoin the pattern with planes whizzing around from seemingly everywhere. Apparently it's normal for everyone to do high speed low approaches, sometimes in formation, from every possible entry point. I come perilously close to colliding with a Cessna, and break off my downwind leg.

I then fly five miles out to catch my breath, and reassess. I'm on a RIGHT base, sort of, but see my opening and go for it. Screw the pattern -- I'm landing during this little lull! I turn to final, flare to land...and the ground falls away from me as fast as I'm sinking. WTF?

Then, just as quickly, all of the sudden it's coming UP at me! Bang! That was landing #1.

I'm airborne again, but stick with it, and the ground does the whole down/up thing again. Bang! That was landing #2.

Now I'm airborne again, slow, running out of airspeed, elevator authority, and ideas. Bang! This is the biggest ski-jump of them all, but I stick with it, keep the stick in my gut, and keep most of the impact on the mains.

I then make a fairly normal landing, with nothing but silence from the back seat. We have...arrived.

I roll to the end, find a spot on the side of the runway, and shut down in the shade of the trees. It's so lovely, peaceful and quiet...

Then, two Skyhawks (!), ten feet apart and 20' off the deck, fly 30' away from us at 120 knots, pull up at a 60 degree angle, and disappear.

Welcome to Reklaw! lol

We walk 4000' back to where all the food tents are, and I am amazed at what I just landed on. This is a steep HILL we are climbing, with swales and round-bottom ditches in it! Sure, the grass is cut nice and short, but it is anything but level. Anyone who says the nosegear on an RV is anything but tough has never seen my landing at Reklaw. It took a good beating!

As we walked, a 182 landed, stopped and turned hard left -- right into the path of a Cherokee departing. The Archer cleared the Skylane's tail by 30 feet, just 50' away from us. Insane.

The rest of the day was like any other fly in. Good people, food, lots of fun -- and nonstop low approaches. Everything from a Howard DGA to a Stearman, to a flight of Yaks, to RVs with smoke on, all screaming down the active runway below the trees, while planes are taxiing, departing and arriving. It was NUTS. And cool!

Amazingly it all worked. Well, except for the T-18 driver, who couldn't handle the tailwind, down hill landing. I watched as he (and helpers) forlornly pulled the wings off, water pouring out of the spinner, with the interior removed and drying in the sun. Looking where he had gone off the end, it could have been much, much worse.

Still, it was great fun. Seemingly everyone knew us (or at least the plane!), and they gave us a great farewell on the Unicom frequency. Mindful of Mary seated directly behind me, I declined to do the requisite low pass on departure. lol

Oh, and as I was leaving, I had to abort my takeoff, when three old guys decided to walk right across the runway as I was on the roll! Never looked, didn't care. Crazy!

On the flight home, I laughed and told Mary we should go back tomorrow. She said, and I quote: "NO ****ING WAY!"
:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the colorful description. I was somewhat upset by the fact that I was missing this fly-in due to a questionable mag... Now I'm thankful that I'm a little bit chicken when it comes to mag issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am grateful that there are fly ins like Reklaw. This was their 30th (?) year putting it on, and it's obviously a labor of love. The weather was PERFECT, which, of course, added a ton of traffic to what is probably normally a more orderly arrival procedure.

Just be sure to be on your A-game, and everything will work out fine. And it would sure help to be flying a Super Cub, instead of an RV-8A. :)

Here's a pic Mary took of me after landing. That is the look of relief, right there! lol!

1f27958a2440143325ff176a7a6a24e8.jpg

I have more than one friend (pilots) who after having been to Reklaw, I asked them the other day, "you ready for Reklaw?"

They not only said no, but hell no!

I opted out this year because of the picture perfect weather. An oxymoron right? I knew it would be a madhouse. Seems like they could come up with a NOTAM like OSH or something .... some kind of approach and departure procedure. Maybe not ... that might put them on the hook liability wise .... :dunno:

Number one thing to do would be to not have everyone land downwind. I'm sure they did it for ground flow, but it directly contributed to the T-18 mishap.

Number 2 would be to grade that runway. Topping the high spots, and filling in the low spots, would be simple and helpful.

Number 3 would be to publish a procedure for arrival that resulted in a more orderly flow. Unfortunately, you would have to curtail the hot dogging low approaches in order to make that work. Since that's part of the fun, I doubt anyone wants to do that.

So, start with 1 and 2. 3 can wait.

There's an old joke about wearing a pair of Depends when you fly into Reklaw and it has nothing to do with restroom facilities on the field. Glad you survived. Come to Petit Jean next year instead. It's only a couple hours away from Reklaw in an RV. ;)

Good review of Reklaw, Jay. I've been to The Reklaw fly-in three times and I'd say you just about nailed it.

It's a fantastic gathering of (mostly) older aircraft and a good overall aviation event. But, IMHO, it's a MAJOR accident waiting to happen. Every year I've gone there has been a "minor" event (meaning someone just crashed their plane with little to no injuries). But, it's gonna happen eventually...a mid-air or something like that.

Jay, your landing sounded just like mine, exact same thing happen to me, someone decided to take off when I was on short final. I should of went around, but knowing how things happen at Reklaw, I decided to "press" the landing and wound up landing a bit longer then I like to there (you're description of the undulating runway is perfect) and wound up with a long landing roll out, cresting the "hill" and going back down the other side. Bad things usually happen to those pilots that find themselves in that situation on that grass strip, lol...

I didn't go, so I don't know for sure, but I read their safety page and it said they displaced the landing threshold a few hundred feet farther down for pedestrian traffic.

This would put the landing threshold right about where the rise begins if you're landing towards the North if I recall.

I got down and stopped before the rise before they displaced it. It was fun to watch the faster planes touch down, get re-launched off the rise, then settle hard back down into the dip or hit the other rise. Made for entertaining conversation...

Now that I know the runway, I would approach it differently. Slower, maybe a bit behind the power curve, and try to get stopped before the third ski jump.

I tell you what, when I sailed off that last rise, low on airspeed and elevator authority, I was thinking the worst. Luckily, my superior airmanship overcame my inferior judgement, for, like, the billionth time in my life.

I'm sure there were plenty of stained shorts there yesterday. My landing was one of the least crazy things we saw. lol

Sounds nuts. I'm ok with crazy, but that sounded a bit too crazy.

Here's a couple of snaps one time we were at Reklaw. I was up on tundra's then. I miss the big tires, but I'm on pavement too much.

Fly by!

Sounds like a heck of a time! Wish we had stuff like that out my way.

Nice 180 too

Well you missed the twin doing a donut at the end of 20 about 10am Sat. He landed way long, should have gone around, but he slid it sideways and missed the creek. Once he got it pulled back enough was able to motor over to parking.

This Reklaw was not the worst for mishaps. If one uses common sense, and isn't worried about a little close contact it's not as big a deal as made out to be. I got in and flew a pass, and got out without any serious problems. Seems like most people who have trouble don't know how to manage their flight profile real well.

I had enough of that Sonex low pass after about number 6 or 7. Jeez, enough already.

It was a good gathering, and I had a great time. I'll be back next year and come in on Fri afternoon as I usually do. No muss no fuss. Just watch what you're doing, and where people are reporting. It's all good.

My main concern is the meat targets running across the runway between landings and take offs. That's the most irritating thing. I wish they would ban that, and make folks take the wagon shuttle around the end.

Arrive early Friday. Try for a short field landing on the threshold. Leave late Sunday. Drink beer all day Saturday. It will SEEM not so crazy.

Pete

Ps. It helps to block the whole right side view with camping gear to avoid seeing some of the other crazy pilots and making it seem less dangerous.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
sounds like a fly in that I rather drive to. I rather be the audience rather than part of an accident waiting to happen. Hundreds of doctor killers flying and landing in a confined space. How long is the drive from mustang island to Reklaw, 4-5 hours? Anyways, it sounds like the event was pure fun.

Twin B amfib carrying four people was headed from Reklaw to the Cherokee County Airport, when the right engine failed and the pilot made an emergency crash landing in a field. I think 2 were injured.

OOOOOOooohhhhhhh! Look out! another GA plane is in the air! Oh noooooooooooo. If you can't do the flying, best to drive. Lots do.

Nice write-up, Jay, thanks, I feel like I was listening to your voice tell me the whole story ... oh wait, I was, just a few days ago! LOL
It was very nice to meet you and we will be back at your place soon, I suspect.

I have more than one friend (pilots) who after having been to Reklaw, I asked them the other day, "you ready for Reklaw?"

They not only said no, but hell no!

I opted out this year because of the picture perfect weather. An oxymoron right? I knew it would be a madhouse. Seems like they could come up with a NOTAM like OSH or something .... some kind of approach and departure procedure. Maybe not ... that might put them on the hook liability wise .... :dunno:

Texans, issue a NOTAM for a fly in?:confused::dunno: Not likely mate...

Twin B amfib carrying four people was headed from Reklaw to the Cherokee County Airport, when the right engine failed and the pilot made an emergency crash landing in a field. I think 2 were injured.
Crap, that's a really cool plane. :(

Tyler news is reporting an 'emer landing' but the plane looks bent up, and two injured. So, something between a landing and a crash.

http://www.kltv.com/story/27025649/dps-releases-names-involved-in-cherokee-co-plane-crash

Hope they recover ok. Sad too about the plane. It came in fine, and taxied around fine. I didn't see it leave Reklaw, but the guy I talked with watched it go with no problems. I'm guessing the SE service ceiling on a 90F day, with all seats full was very poor. Not many SeaBees left alive, and very few twin Bees. Sad all around.

Last edited:
Another great weekend at Reklaw. This one was amazing. Nice write-up from Jay, but don't let it scare you off! We had over 500 planes and as Pete said, arrive early, stay late, and avoid some of the chaos. The Thorp going in the pond... well, sorry if I insult anyone, but it may have been a 7mph tailwind, he had 3400 feet, could have gone around, and nobody else ended up in the pond! Sad to see a plane turn into a boat. The twin was almost a bad mistake and it was purely on the pilot. He landed so long we thought it was a low pass!

I took over 1800 photos and have only gone through a few hundred. I fly a Cessna 140, so I went through 120/140 photos first, but will add more pics as I go. Click Here to See Them

15460643057_c416c73d66_b.jpg

15646623485_3b299408cf_b.jpg

15026459173_ffc51d5f3e_b.jpg

15460642057_22811b21e5_b.jpg

15647444292_33980236b5_b.jpg

Sounds crazy, but fun too! You didn't happen to have video running during your arrival ordeal, did you Jay?

YoU tube is full of Reklaw videos!

Here's a few more pix, taken with Mary's crappy cell phone camera. (I forgot to bring mine.). I wish I had the GoPro running out on the wing!

This is Reklaw Air Traffic Control and beer dispensary. lol

ad7da93038e4db75fc2b8a8499439cc1.jpg

One of a thousand low passes.

c206dbfd9d279a13740c7b7c761448f9.jpg

The Twin SeaBee that crashed later that day.

49be67711d2a289fe3c54a0fc001b5b8.jpg

Another great weekend at Reklaw. This one was amazing. Nice write-up from Jay, but don't let it scare you off! We had over 500 planes and as Pete said, arrive early, stay late, and avoid some of the chaos. The Thorp going in the pond... well, sorry if I insult anyone, but it may have been a 7mph tailwind, he had 3400 feet, could have gone around, and nobody else ended up in the pond! Sad to see a plane turn into a boat. The twin was almost a bad mistake and it was purely on the pilot. He landed so long we thought it was a low pass!

I took over 1800 photos and have only gone through a few hundred. I fly a Cessna 140, so I went through 120/140 photos first, but will add more pics as I go.

There were a dozen (or more) photographers taking pictures as we taxied past. If you happen to find one that you took of our bright red RV-8A (with "Amelias Landing Hotel" logo on the nose) please post it -- I would love to see it! :)

I think I did, but I'll have to look! I was definitely out there when you landed, I remember the logo.

There were a dozen (or more) photographers taking pictures as we taxied past. If you happen to find one that you took of our bright red RV-8A (with "Amelias Landing Hotel" logo on the nose) please post it -- I would love to see it! :)

Don't feel bad Jay, I've been to OSH once and landed there three times. :lol:

Note to self:

Don't try to push it down onto the spot.

Don't feel bad Jay, I've been to OSH once and landed there three times. :lol:

Note to self:

Don't try to push it down onto the spot.
Ooo, that's way worse than having it happen at Reklaw. I, at least, have the (mostly) valid excuse of landing with a tailwind, downhill, on a field full of ski jumps...

Ooo, that's way worse than having it happen at Reklaw. I, at least, have the (mostly) valid excuse of landing with a tailwind, downhill, on a field full of ski jumps...

I like the hay bails around the "temp" control tower.... As if they are expecting a plane to hit it...:yikes:

I know.

As we were taxiing back along the judge line, people were making porpoising gestures with their hands ... and laughing.

But I didn't bend anything. Just my pride.

I know.

As we were taxiing back along the judge line, people were making porpoising gestures with their hands ... and laughing.

But I didn't bend anything. Just my pride.
Ouch.

We've had some exciting landings at OSH, but only because of controller screw ups. One in particular had Mary doing a left, descending 270-degree turn to land on RWY 18R, behind a Bonanza. Oh, and stay South of the tower.

Mary did it, but right as we rolled wings level the mains impacted, um, firmly. Those Pathfinder landing gear are STOUT. lol

Back