Reincarnation of a WWII fighter pilot?

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
This was interesting...heard about it on my way in to work this morning.

I probably should post this in SZ, considering it may spark some religious debate (I hope it doesn't have to be moved to SZ!). I just found it interesting and since it was aviation related I thought I'd share.

Reincarnation of a WWII fighter pilot?

Two parents in Texas believe their son is the reincarnation of a WWII fighter pilot. Their two year-old son began having recurring nightmares about a plane on fire. He then would recount vivid details of planes and war tragedies which led his parents to attempt to fact-check the accounts. They eventually discovered details that they believe show he was reliving the past life of a World War II fighter pilot named James Huston. They've now written a book about it called Soul Survivor. The son is seven years old now.

Debates about reincarnation within Judeo-Christian tradition are nothing new. They date back thousands of years.

Beginning in the earliest days of Christianity, there have been some Christian theologians (most notably Origen, although there have been others) who have taught reincarnation. In 339 A.D., Bishop Theophilus defended Origen's position; but quickly retracted his support when he was threatened with death. Ultimately, the church adopted a more literalist interpretation of Scripture, and belief in reincarnation was declared anathema.

Some ancient Jewish writings also taught or at least explored the concept of reincarnation. These would include, most notably, the Kabbalah, the Zohar, and the Bahir. Perhaps because Judaism has a less rigidly-defined eschatology than Orthodox Christianity, small, but organized Jewish sects that teach reincarnation still exist today, especially within the Kabbalist tradition.

I personally don't accept reincarnation as being consistent with my own Wesleyan / Arminian take on Christianity, based upon the preponderance of Biblical teaching as related to soteriology and eschatology. But I do admit that there are certain passages of Scripture within the canonical writings (and many more in other early Christian writings, some of which were just barely rejected from the canon) that would be most easily explained if reincarnation were presupposed.

I also accept that people much smarter and much more spiritual than myself have advocated belief in reincarnation as being consistent with Christian teaching; but then again, the same can be said for those who have rejected and refuted the doctrine. So in the end, I believe in what I believe, based upon my limited understanding of the mind of God; but I reserve to Him the right to use whatever methods He chooses to accomplish His ends -- even if they don't seem to fit my theology.

-Rich

Back