Regulation Question: Medical Certificate Question: Duration & Times

CARoss

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Need a bit of clarification and could use some help from you all. Two questions, with a bit of history too, so please bear with me.

We all know the medical certificate durations have changed... and that the valid durations are shortened (in most cases) if you are over 40.

As I understand it, the valid dates NOW are as follows:
Class I:
Under 40: 12 months
Over 40: 6 Months

Class II:
Under 40: 12 Months
Over 40: 12 Months

Class III:
Under 40: 60 Months (5 Years)
Over 40: 24 Months (2 years)

Ok, here is some background for my question:

I got my Class II Medical on 10/03/2007 for my Private Pilot certification, at the age of 36. I got the medical BEFORE the new regulations were in place. Now, I'm currently finishing up my Commercial License. I'm not exercising the privileges of Commercial License (yet), so I technically don't need a Class II.

Now, my question is this. Is my medical certificate valid (for Private Pilot privileges) until 10/31/2009 or 10/31/2011? Does one stay grandfathered to the regulation at the time your medical was issued? Or is it updated to the new regulation?

Now, question 2. Say you are exercising a Class III medical, and between the 5 Year valid dates and the 2 year valid dates, you turn 40. Yesterday your medical was valid, and today (at 40) could it be invalid and expired by years? Or does your medical expiration date get defined by your age at the time of issuance? or at the current date?

I hope that makes sense when someone else reads it... it makes sense in my mind. :)

I got my Class II Medical on 10/03/2007 for my Private Pilot certification, at the age of 36. I got the medical BEFORE the new regulations were in place. Now, I'm currently finishing up my Commercial License. I'm not exercising the privileges of Commercial License (yet), so I technically don't need a Class II.
Correct so far.
Now, my question is this. Is my medical certificate valid (for Private Pilot privileges) until 10/31/2009 or 10/31/2011?
Neither. Since you were under 40 when you got your Class II, it remains valid for Class III privileges until end of the 60th month after the date of examination, i.e. 10/31/12.
Does one stay grandfathered to the regulation at the time your medical was issued? Or is it updated to the new regulation?
In this context, the only thing that matters is the regulation now in effect and the dates of examination and birth on your current medical. What the previous version(s) of the reg said is irrelevant.
Now, question 2. Say you are exercising a Class III medical, and between the 5 Year valid dates and the 2 year valid dates, you turn 40. Yesterday your medical was valid, and today (at 40) could it be invalid and expired by years? Or does your medical expiration date get defined by your age at the time of issuance? or at the current date?
Date of examination as listed on the certificate.

Correct so far.
Neither. Since you were under 40 when you got your Class II, it remains valid for Class III privileges until end of the 60th month after the date of examination, i.e. 10/31/12.

Duh, yes... 10/31/2012. That was just bad math.

In this context, the only thing that matters is the regulation now in effect and the dates of examination and birth on your current medical. What the previous version(s) of the reg said is irrelevant.

OK, thanks.

Date of examination as listed on the certificate.

Ok, so then (when possible) getting a medical on the day before your 40th birthday makes good sense. (Good sense as defined as getting the longest period of time out of your medical)

Ok, so then (when possible) getting a medical on the day before your 40th birthday makes good sense. (Good sense as defined as getting the longest period of time out of your medical)
Often, but not always. If you've had a medical within the prior 2 years, then it doesn't make sense to get one on the day before your 40th birthday. If your previous medical was farther in the past, though, then it does.
-harry

Back