Regular Flu or H1N1?

I have never had a flu shot, and likely never will. I'm fairly certain I've never even had any flu. When the Pig flu first broke out, at my school there were about 40% out sick some days (they close down at 50%, it is a 2000 kid shcool). I was not infected. Eventually they offered the vaccine, though the nasal form. I could not take that because I am asthmatic. About a third of my friends that took it, got the full blown flu. So I was glad I did not take it. Though that was New Jersey where the kids are fat and do not go outside.

I have never had a flu shot, and likely never will. I'm fairly certain I've never even had any flu. When the Pig flu first broke out, at my school there were about 40% out sick some days (they close down at 50%, it is a 2000 kid shcool). I was not infected. Eventually they offered the vaccine, though the nasal form. I could not take that because I am asthmatic. About a third of my friends that took it, got the full blown flu. So I was glad I did not take it. Though that was New Jersey where the kids are fat and do not go outside.
Bolded my emphasis. They were either exposed prior to the vaccination or got the other strain of flu (see ref 1 below), or they are describing some of the symptoms of the nasal spray (ref 2, 3). Assuming you are correct about the the type of vaccine they received (H1N1), they may have gotten the seasonal flu instead. You can't tell the two types apart based on symptoms. The vaccine itself will not cause influenza (ref 3).

Ref 1: http://answers.flu.gov/questions/4509
Ref 2: http://answers.flu.gov/questions/4860
Ref 3: http://www.cdc.gov/Flu/protect/keyfacts.htmhttp://answers.flu.gov/questions/4509

The nasal spray IS a live virus, it can cause the flu. The vaccine is a killed virus.

The nasal spray IS a live virus, it can cause the flu. The vaccine is a killed virus.

Its an ATTENUATED (weakened) live virus. If you have a healthy immune system you will not catch the flu from it. You dont take the nasal spray if you fall into certain categories.

I've always had the injection of dead vaccine because thats what I had offered to me. (as a healthcare provider)

Anecdotes are not data.
A cold does not equal the flu.
I have friends who got the flu shot and said "I got the flu from the shot". I asked what their symptoms were, they were sneezing and sick for a couple days. They caught a cold, not the flu.

Most people have never had a full-blown case of flu, because most people have some partial immunity to each year's seasonal flu from past vaccines and past exposures.
They have not been prostrate in bed for days, feeling like they were going to die. They have not gotten pneumonia or been placed on a ventilator. They have not seen pregnant mothers in the intensive care unit for a week with the flu. They have not had to helicopter out flu cases to large hospitals because the community hospital's ICU is full from flu cases. They have not watched little kids die from flu.
Influenza is not a cold, it's not an annoyance, it's not something where you take some Sudafed and go to the movies. Flu puts you down and out for a week (hopefully at home, maybe in the hospital).

The medical community has been its own worst enemy with infectious disease. Vaccination, treatment, and infection control or so good in first-world nations that infectious disease is an annoyance, not a life threat. Society has lost its understanding of how serious infectious disease is.
In prior generations, every family lost someone young and healthy to infectious disease. Nowadays, almost no one knows someone who died from the flu, polio, rubella, whooping cough, smallpox, tetanus, and any number of other infectious diseases. We have lost our understanding of how dangerous these things can be.

You absolutely cannot catch the flu from a flu shot. You absolutely cannot contract a full-blown case of flu from nasal mist. You may get a minor sinus infection going for a day or two, but most people do not even get that.

Last edited:
Anecdotes are not data.
I have friends who got the flu shot and said "I got the flu from the shot". I asked what their symptoms were, they were sneezing and sick for a couple days. They caught a cold, not the flu.

Most people have never had a full-blown case of flu, because most people have some partial immunity to each year's seasonal flu from past vaccines and past exposures.
They have not been prostrate in bed for days, feeling like they were going to die. They have not gotten pneumonia or been placed on a ventilator. They have not seen pregnant mothers in the intensive care unit for a week with the flu. They have not had to helicopter out flu cases to large hospitals because the community hospital's ICU is full from flu cases. They have not watched little kids die from flu.
Influenza is not a cold, it's not an annoyance, it's not something where you take some Sudafed and go to the movies. Flu puts you down and out for a week (hopefully at home, maybe in the hospital).

The medical community has been its own worst enemy with infectious disease. Vaccination, treatment, and infection control or so good in first-world nations that infectious disease is an annoyance, not a life threat. Society has lost its understanding of how serious infectious disease is.
In prior generations, every family lost someone young and healthy to infectious disease. Nowadays, almost no one knows someone who died from the flu, polio, rubella, whooping cough, smallpox, tetanus, and any number of other infectious diseases. We have lost our understanding of how dangerous these things can be.

You absolutely cannot catch the flu from a flu shot. You absolutely cannot contract a full-blown case of flu from nasal mist. You may get a minor sinus infection going for a day or two, but most people do not even get that.

I'm old enough to remember polio cases still happening in the neighborhood when I was a kid - a kid across the street died. My wife and I are caretakers, in our house, of an elderly relative. A once-a-year shot in the arm is cheap insurance.

Anecdotes are not data.

......You absolutely cannot catch the flu from a flu shot. You absolutely cannot contract a full-blown case of flu from nasal mist. You may get a minor sinus infection going for a day or two, but most people do not even get that.
Everything said here is true, but you cannot convice some, just like the ones who refused to belt up "wanting to be thrown clear".

Mtns2Skies is one of those.

Give up.

Everything said here is true, but you cannot convice some, just like the ones who refused to belt up "wanting to be thrown clear".

Give up.

I know, Doc. I just don't want others to be misinformed by unchallenged assertions.

Alan

Give up.

Yea.. I just think its incredibly short sighted when people who CAN safely be vaccinated opt not to based on flawed data/assumptions. Its that whole herd immunity thing..

Keeping the very few kids who are fragile and CANT be vaccinated for whatever reason safe, by surrounding them with populations of largely vaccinated peers..

Anyways.. Hope the guy with the flu is starting to feel alive again.. its been about a week or so.. and hope he isolated himself and didn't pass it on..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back