1) Fever bouncing between 99.5 and 102.3
2) Sore throat, feels like swollen glands in my throat
3) Delirium
4) Cold sweats, so bad that I am shivering so hard my entire body is sore
5) Small amounts of cough with mucus
6) Mucus coating from the roof of my mouth into my throat and probably further
7) No desire to drink fluids, even water
8) No desire to eat anything

These symptoms are on the 3rd day and not showing signs of getting better. Do I have H1N1?

Sounds like honest to Odin influenza. Doesn't matter if its H1N1 or another strain, flu is bad. Might not be that much the MDs can do for it, other than intravenous liquids. Keep warm, rest, and drink lots of fluids. Do go to the emergency room if it gets too bad; flu does kill people. Of course, keep out of public.

Nick mine was a full 4 days in bed, no kidding. That is extremely rare for me. Don't be stupid like me though, if things don't seem right, get to the doc.
I am still hacking and a bit dizzy. Got a sinus infection on day 3 as well.

Maybe it's the P0A flew - you get infected from role reversals in Spin ZOne

;) :D

I'm so sick right now it sucks....here's my symptoms:

3) Delirium

These symptoms are on the 3rd day and not showing signs of getting better. Do I have H1N1?
Hm..
SkyHog said:
I don't get flu shots. I'd rather we actually fight off the flu so that it doesn't get worse every year, personally.
Looks like you got what you wished for.
SkyHog said:
I hate to be jerky bout it, but seriously, its the flu. You get sick for a week, and then you get better.
Well. Only 4 days left, I guess.

Sorry. I couldn't help it :)

My condolences to both you and "let's go Flying". The flu sucks. What really kills me is "Oh I don't want to get the shot".

I got both shots early this season and so far so good.....

I got the flu a few weeks ago (don't know if it was H1N1, not that it makes a difference). It wasn't a big deal.

Same symptoms as Nick, for maybe 4 days. Easier to get through than a cold, IMO. Took some NyQuil, but that was it. High fever one night only.

-Felix

I'm in the doctors waiting room now. I get the irony in my previous post about the shot, but I maintain that most people I know that got the flu, got the shot a few days earlier.

Why? Well, its been disproven that it could be the shot, so I'm gonna guess its exposure to the flu while waiting the 5 hours it takes to be seen....I maintain that this year sucks, but the next 10 won't, and then I'll have a bad one again.

I'm in the doctors waiting room now. I get the irony in my previous post about the shot, but I maintain that most people I know that got the flu, got the shot a few days earlier.

Why? Well, its been disproven that it could be the shot, so I'm gonna guess its exposure to the flu while waiting the 5 hours it takes to be seen....I maintain that this year sucks, but the next 10 won't, and then I'll have a bad one again.

Looks like it might be strep throat....will know in 5 mins or so.

Edit:also, have an abnormally high level of fluid behind my "ear sacs" whatever the hell that is.

Last edited:
...annnnddd....I have H1N1. Sigh.
You could be like the person I know who took his kids in for shots but declined when the doctor offered him one too. You can guess the rest of the story.

I'm not surprised it's H1N1. Basically all flu circulating right now is H1N1 (something like 99.7%).
Seasonal flu arrives in a couple weeks, most likely. Then things get interesting.

And, get a flu shot every year. I avoid my Doctor's office. The people there are there because they're sick.
Out here, I get my flu shot at the pharmacy, the downside is I have to pay the $20 myself (oh shoot...)

Too late for me to get the the shot for it to do any good?

30 kids in my daughter's school are out with seasonal flu right now. Ciara (who got both the seasonal and H1N1 shots) had one day of fever and has missed two days of school for coughing, but is up and about and happy. Her mom and I each had about 8 hours of "not right". Her non-immunized classmates have been in bed for about three days now.

Hope you get better soon, Nick. Hang in there.

Too late for me to get the the shot for it to do any good?
Current CDC recommendations in this case is to get three or four, just to be safe. They are best if given in the same spot, over and over. These guys have just the syringe for ya:
k1voub.jpg

I usually get the flu shot due to travel, but this year had not. I have to have surgery soon, so I'm going to get it in the next few weeks just to get it out of the way. Do not want the flu while sleeping at the Petri Dish Hotel.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Today I was doing some grocery shopping and I saw the sign in the Safeway pharmacy for H1N1 shots. So I said, "why not?" Another impulse buy...

I'm so sick right now it sucks....here's my symptoms:

3) Delirium

Can I get the virus reading this? :confused:

Maybe you are sick cuz you saw the Lobos stats?

Seriously, stay home, stay in bed, take over the counter stuff until you are better.

Last edited:
So, since I have H1N1, should I consider getting the normal flu shot now, or do I now have antibodies for both flues?

I usually get the flu shot due to travel, but this year had not. I have to have surgery soon, so I'm going to get it in the next few weeks just to get it out of the way. Do not want the flu while sleeping at the Petri Dish Hotel.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Ah, bedbug palace. Know it well.

We've had shots available through my workplace. Got mine.

there's still three-four months in the flu season left.

What about the flu viruses that makes them a seasonal thing? Is it because of the colder weather? Or is there a certain section of the earth's orbit where the flu is stationary and the planet passes through it each year?

What about the flu viruses that makes them a seasonal thing? Is it because of the colder weather? Or is there a certain section of the earth's orbit where the flu is stationary and the planet passes through it each year?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I think it has more to do with living in closer quarters. In addition, the season begins when the little virus-factory monsters begin school, meeting up with others of their ilk, and sharing (as we have taught them to do). It gets another boost during the holidays when sharing extends to the extended family in close quarters.

Do I have H1N1?

There is no way to distinguish H1N1 conclusively from other flu-like illnesses without a lab test.

Most of the flu out there this season IS H1N1, based on what testing has occurred.

And like someone else said.. If you are sick enough to be worried about it, you are sick enough to see someone about it. Doesn't matter what flavor bug you have. Go see your doc.

There is no way to distinguish H1N1 conclusively from other flu-like illnesses without a lab test.

Most of the flu out there this season IS H1N1, based on what testing has occurred.

And like someone else said.. If you are sick enough to be worried about it, you are sick enough to see someone about it. Doesn't matter what flavor bug you have. Go see your doc.

I agree with the identification thoughts (different flu strains can be distinguished with antibodies, but such detection is probably not in the repertoire of your local urgent care clinic), though not necessarily the doctor thoughts. First, there is nothing an MD can do at present to disable flu virus. They might be able to make you somewhat more comfortable, but that's the limit. While you are traveling to receive your strictly palliative care you yourself are a wonderful disease vector and can pass your illness onto those around you. And while you are doing so you pose new environmental challenges to your immune system and possibly pick up new and alternatively destabilizing pathogens from all those other sick people to draw out your illness that much more. If I seek medical assistance for something like flu I expect to be hospitalized with tubes poking out of me.

Interesting that Nick, who was highly opposed to the shot, has inspired a lot of people to get one. :rofl:

He's the wind beneath my wings.

--

Actually, I had been planning to get the shots early in the season, but one thing led to another and I didn't. Then I figured I had missed the entire season, but apparently not. I'm the last one in the family to get immunized.

Took care of it yesterday - just walked into my dr office to see a nurse. No copay because it wasn't technically an office visit, and my insurance covered 100%.

As others said, the beginning of school starts passing virus around, but in the winter when people are staying indoors, they're outside less, there's less UV to kill viruses, etc. People have less exposure to the sun, their resistance is down, they are around more people in indoor areas with recirculating air, all the variables align to make infectious disease go wild.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back