Registrations

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
The availability of FAA registration database allows us to be way nosier than in the past... Here's a couple of cases that happened to me over the weekend. The actual tail numbers changed on purpose.

#1. I went to FAA safety seminar, and saw an unrelated airplane in a shared hangar, N5555U. It's a pretty TriPacer, and since one PoA member posted "Ode to TriPacers", I am thinking about bumming a ride off a local owner. I looked N5555U in FAA database, and the registration comes up as belonging to a Beech Travel Air. Or should I said used to belong, because it was cancelled 1982. Ho-hum.

#2. I watched a YouTube video, that featured a unique LSA. I punched its number N2222U in, it turned up as expired in 2011. The video was taken at Oshkosh in 2012. Apparently, dude was snared by that 3-year expiration thing, and is one ramp check away from problems.

It's like nobody cares about the silly numbers, which is actually quite heartening to my libertarian soul.

It would be curious to know if the FAA Data base is at all current as it is supposed to be.

There is an aircraft here that when looked up says, Registration Pending, SOLD. Its been flying for more than a year, and I doubt if it is still on a pink slip.. although I could sneak a look.

It would be curious to know if the FAA Data base is at all current as it is supposed to be.

Now it pretty much is.
I used it last week to contact all of the owners of an oddball aircraft by sending them a postcard. All of the registrations had 5+4 zipcodes and the majority of owners called or emailed me 3-5 days later.

The whole registration update is stupid anyway - provides not one milligram of real security to anyone.

The whole registration update is stupid anyway - provides not one milligram of real security to anyone.

This is about being able to send bills for the user fees to good addresses.

You're in luck, my first iPhone/iPad app that I'm putting the finishing touches on right now and submitting to the iTunes App Store in a few days is an iThingy version of the FAA registration database, that works offline (you can download the entire database and use it in the air when you're interested in a call number being used). My main motivation for doing the app wasn't to produce anything that is really needed or wanted but the app is simple enough for a first time project, uses an SQLite database and the core data framework and I want to figure out the development to "For Sale" process. So don't flame me for a stupid app, I wrote it for me :)

Back