Regional Jet Pilot Training

How's this: Things continue the way they are WRT unions, etc. but each airline has an "airplane rodeo" (simulators, of course) where pilots can demonstrate their airmanship, and winners - Say, the top 10% - Get a big fat bonus. Then, have each airline's best compete for additional rewards.

(Thought of this because there is such a thing with trucking - Companies pick their top drivers, they go to state competitions, state winners have a national competition.)

How's this: Things continue the way they are WRT unions, etc. but each airline has an "airplane rodeo" (simulators, of course) where pilots can demonstrate their airmanship, and winners - Say, the top 10% - Get a big fat bonus. Then, have each airline's best compete for additional rewards.

(Thought of this because there is such a thing with trucking - Companies pick their top drivers, they go to state competitions, state winners have a national competition.)
I don't know about truckers, but I can't see most pilots being into any kind of contest like that. Then there would be the hypercompetitive ones who might not be the "best" pilots overall. I'm also not sure what you could judge. Gee, that person got only 2 degrees off heading and 3 knots off V2 on the V1 cut... That's the thing, when you have many people doing a job where you are all supposed be standardized its hard for management to rank people according to ability. It's pretty subjective and when you have 5,000 or however many pilots it's impossible. On the other hand there are always the weak people who you would think would get weeded out at some point. I don't know how that works in a unionized, seniority-based situation since I have never flown for a company which has a union.

Back