Regional food exploration

spinfire

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
So I am based on the northeast. How far do I have to fly to get a good southern breakfast with grits? How far do I have to fly to get good barbecue? What other regional foods are worth searching out? Airport restaurant suggestions in that range?

Chicago Pizza.
Never Mind Mit's "cheezzy grits". He faked that one badly. Sigh.

If you can make it to KTWM, you can hop in the airport car and eat at Betty's Pies. :)

393265_338195062861131_100000119195795_1524987_1148243377_n.jpg

381454_338194312861206_100000119195795_1524974_777597192_n.jpg

423445_392687667411870_100000119195795_1697748_197476455_n.jpg

Maryland Blue Crabs (or Crab Cakes if you prefer) in Annapolis, Kent Island, or Ocean City, MD (or pretty much any other MD airport)

mmm - bbq.

Since you brought it up: BBQ tends to change from region to region. Different sauces, seasonings, cooking wood, and meat all vary from place to place. I'm partial to KC style, but TX, Memphis, Carolina all have their own unique flavors. I don't know what's in your part of the world, but it'll probably be different than a place a hundred miles away.

Cincinnati style chili can be had in the Queen City. There are probably chili shops near all the airports. There is a place not at all far from KOSU as well. Either love it or hate it, never knew anyone didn't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

For ribs, Ill have to go with Sticky Fingers in Charleston, or if you want dry rub, Rendezvous Ribs in Memphis was, quit frankly, the best I've ever had.

For ribs, Ill have to go with Sticky Fingers in Charleston, or if you want dry rub, Rendezvous Ribs in Memphis was, quit frankly, the best I've ever had.

+1 for Rendezvous. I still remember their phone number for overnight shipped orders 1-800-Hogs-Fly

Also - Dreamland in Alabama (several locations)

adventurepilot.com

Cincinnati style chili can be had in the Queen City. There are probably chili shops near all the airports. There is a place not at all far from KOSU as well. Either love it or hate it, never knew anyone didn't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Don't call that Slop Chili!

:vomit:

Cinnamon is not a spice that should be present in Chili! It's called Chili not Cinnamon!

+1 for Rendezvous. I still remember their phone number for overnight shipped orders 1-800-Hogs-Fly

Also - Dreamland in Alabama (several locations)

They have a great slogan as well. "Never has a rib been so famous since Adam."

They have a great slogan as well. "Never has a rib been so famous since Adam."

Being a Memphis native, there's a long long list of place to eat ribs in Memphis that rank way higher that Rendezvous. The only time I've gone is when folks from out of town that don't know any better insist on going. I don't know any locals who would voluntarily go there. They're OK and beat anything outside of Memphis (I'm looking at you Texas, BBQ involves only a dead hog, anything else is "grillin'" and WTF is brisket anyway?) :D

Gus' Fried Chicken cannot be beat (in Memphis or go to the original location in Mason), Gus' is the only thing I can think of that's worth risking your medical over, and the risk is real. One of their mottos is "If you've had better chicken, you must've been the rooster"

And for the grits -Any Waffle House will do just fine! I do hate to see the folks above the Mason-Dixon line ruin a perfectly good bowl of grits by putting sugar in them. That's just not right!

5NC3 Gilliam McConnel (near Carthage, NC) for the Pik N Pig restaurant on field. Ask for the BBQ sundae (not on the menu) for a real treat.

For good BBQ, you're going to need to come to Eastern North Carolina.

I guess one could say the same for good breakfast with grits...

Specifically - fly into KEXX and call me. I'll take you to two of the best for both.

BTW - I started my flying lessons at KASH with Air Direct Airways about 9 years ago...that place still around?

I'm clearly going to have to head in a few different directions to experience BBQ since there are so many styles (I'm not counting "grilling" - just real BBQ). NC, Memphis, Kansas City (that's a pretty long trip)? Texas, that is very far. What other regional BBQs am I missing?

I'll admit, I've never heard of Cincinnati Chili before. Seems controversial :) I'll have to search that out to find out if I like it.

Dan:

I have never developed a taste for grits, despite many tries (my wife is from southern girls stock).

As for the barbecue thing, I agree that many places have their own take on good barbecue, but I have to throw-down on Bart for suggesting that Texas barbecue is "grillin'"! Slow-smoked beef brisket, done properly, is amazingly good. (If you've tried it and it was dry, it was not done properly).

We are fortunate, here in Texas, to have several exceptional fly-to barbecue restaurants, including the Hard 8 in Stephenville and Cooper's in Llano.

I am not a fan of pork, but acknowledge it is an unreasonable bias.

Since I'm near KC I'm a little partial to KC Q. But I spent a week in the Texas Hill Country a year or two ago. Booyah - that Texas Q is way good, too.

Being a Memphis native, there's a long long list of place to eat ribs in Memphis that rank way higher that Rendezvous. The only time I've gone is when folks from out of town that don't know any better insist on going. I don't know any locals who would voluntarily go there. They're OK and beat anything outside of Memphis (I'm looking at you Texas, BBQ involves only a dead hog, anything else is "grillin'" and WTF is brisket anyway?) :D

Gus' Fried Chicken cannot be beat (in Memphis or go to the original location in Mason), Gus' is the only thing I can think of that's worth risking your medical over, and the risk is real. One of their mottos is "If you've had better chicken, you must've been the rooster"

So you're gonna just leave it at that? Make me a list! :D

Back