Regional airliner bound for ORD diverts to DPA

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
It's all over the news.

SkyWest flight 5290, operating as a United Express from Asheville, North Carolina to Chicago, was diverted to DuPage, Illinois after reports of an unknown mechanical issue.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...279863932.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand
(With a picture of a UAL 747 which it wasn't.)
An Regional Jet landed at DuPage. "How did they get THAT BIG JET in there?"

Not that the only reason they don't fly from DuPage is that the Nimbys got a ban on passenger jets, even though DuPage has a passenger terminal.

DuPage is really close to O'Hare. I wonder why DuPage was a faster emergency option.

"RJ, we don't got time for your emergency. Suggest DuPage."

I believe the runway at DPA is longer than MDW.

Does anyone know what time this was? The article didn't say I spent most of my day at dpa and didn't see or hear anything

Aircraft had major flight control issues, and DPA appeared to be the most practical option at the time.

Holy heck. The passengers in the video above weren't kidding when they said the landing was scary. And now we know "why Dupage vs Midway" (longer runway):

A Skywest Canadair CRJ-200 on behalf of United, registration N926SW performing flight OO-5290/UA-5290 from Asheville,NC to Chicago O'Hare,IL (USA) with 44 passengers and 3 crew, was on approach to Chicago O'Hare Airport west of the aerodrome when the crew declared emergency reporting they had kind of lost their flight controls, were able to perform only left hand turns and had difficulty maintaining altitude. Chicago TRACON and all approach controllers stopped all descents towards Chicago at their present altitudes providing a minimum separation of 2000 feet to the CRJ-200 at about 2000 feet MSL, the CRJ-200 performed a left hand turn towards Chicago Dupage Airport where the aircraft landed safely at high speed (230 knots over ground) on runway 20L still in contact with Chicago TRACON, Dupage emergency services inquiring with tower about the status of the aircraft were told, tower was still not talking to the emergency aircraft after the aircraft had landed. A short time later the crew switched to tower frequency and advised again they had kind of lost their flight controls and performed a flaps up landing, emergency services reported there were no signs of fire, smoke, heat or any leaks. After the brakes had cooled down a bit the aircraft taxied to the apron, where the passengers disembarked.

The passengers were bussed to O'Hare Airport.

The airline confirmed a mechanical problem.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW5290/history/20141020/2023Z/KAVL/KORD

Bravo, flight crew. Would like to hear the CVR.

They lived, the 1,500 hour ATP rule works.:D Be interesting to hear if they load that malfunction in the sim to see how many crews make it.

So they gonna get cited for landing without a clearance from the tower? :rolleyes:

Sounds like they performed well. I'm typed in the CRJ 200 with around 5,000 hours and can't really think of what would cause their situation. Flight controls and flaps not working is odd as they are two separate systems. Hydraulic for flight controls and electric for flaps.

Maybe split flaps with the right side only deploying? That would make right turns difficult. Just spit ball'in here.

Back