Region 9 Soaring Contest

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Leah and I spent the last week in Moriarty, NM for the Region 9 Soaring Championships. My sister Amy also joined us as faithful crew. I was flying "Kate" the Standard Cirrus in the Sports (Handicapped) Class. We had a good week in general. We flew 4 of 6 possible days and I finished in 3rd, 3rd, 11th, and 1st for an overall finish of 3rd. I was pretty happy to say the least. I put nightly reports from my flights up on www.soaringcafe.com under the "Sailplane Racing News" section.

Here I am with the rest of the top 3:

attachment.php

and me and my faithful crew:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Region9Podium.jpg
    Region9Podium.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 80
  • TeamKate.jpg
    TeamKate.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 81
Congrats Tony,

I have a lot of fun at these kinds of Contest. Doesn't look like I am going to be able to fly the Region 8 contest this year, so I will be scoring it instead.

Thanks for posting, I have been following your progress.

Brian
HP16T

Well done, Tony. Congratulations!

Great flying. Congratulations.

Great flying! Glad to get a 1st place finis for one day!
I've been following your posts on Soaring Cafe.

Brian - why no flying? Good on you to score though, good volunteers are critical, as you know.

Ron Leonard was flying his HP-18 at Moriarty and did very well. He had trouble the first day with a wall of OD that built up in the last circle but rebounded nicely, got 2nd on Day 3 and ended up 5th overall. The -18 he was flying is the one that his dad built, pretty cool. His dad was crewing for him.

Thanks Ted, Lance, and Bill. Lance, I was thinking of you a few times as I dove for the finish. Moriarty demands, ahem, respect, and I was usually padding final glide by 1000 or 1500 feet. The weather there is dynamic to say the least and can change faster than anywhere I've ever flown. This resulted in a few 90-100 knot runs the last 20 miles to burn off some extra. Quite fun but I was hanging on tight!

Back