Regarding recent 172 crash

Perhaps you should re-read your original statement. You said, (to paraphrase), that getting information from people who are old means getting old information. That is blatantly untrue.
I will agree that getting information from those of any age who have no commitment to keeping up with current technology is a bad idea. I know the type of personality you are referring to, but please don't paint all us old guys with the same broad brush, we're sensitive and fragile. :yesnod:

Maybe you missed my bigger point,.... I'm probably the oldest guy here. ;)

I remember Alaska becoming a state. I vividly remember Sputnik orbiting the earth. :eek:
There are whole countries younger than I am. :lol:

We all were smarter than the rest of the world when we were young. Then we grew up and realized the old man wasn't so dumb after all.:yes:

I agree. No one wants to hang around and talk airplanes anymore. Also the flight schools do everything they can to book every plane, every minute of the day. And Heaven forbid you should even give the appearance of poaching a student.
I get it, it's a business. They need to pay the bills. But there was a time when people, sat around, swapped lies about flying adventures, and if a student exhibited a distinct lack of "TDS" (total dumba$$ syndrome) and asked a question that also indicated a lack of TDS, a pilot would say, "Come out to the plane and I'll show you how that works.", and off they would go, into the wild blue yonder for a totally impromptu lesson. I still do it occasionally.
Now it's "get on the schedule", and as soon as a lesson is over, everybody scatters.
Different day, different decade, different era. I guess I'm getting old.

Don't get me started on airport diners. I remember when almost every airport, no matter how podunk, had a diner on the field or within walking distance. And there were a heck of a lot more podunk air fields in those days.
Just reminiscing on a day when I can't be out flying.

Maybe you missed my bigger point,.... I'm probably the oldest guy here. ;)

I remember Alaska becoming a state. I vividly remember Sputnik orbiting the earth. :eek:
There are whole countries younger than I am. :lol:

I did miss that point. FWIW I too remember Alaska and Hawaii being admitted, and staring up into the sky at Sputnik. (USCGA Class of 1976) I won't claim to be older than dirt....but I do remember when it still had that new dirt smell. :D

The Aviation Instructor's Hanbook says we're not supposed to do that anymore...emphasize the positive...

God forbid we go against the handbook.

I emphasize what I feel I need to, I have no issue telling a student that some things will result in death, if thats scares them off well, it's for their benefit, haven't had it happen yet. People need to know this ain't golf or some carnival ride.

Second thing students learn, listen to EVERYONE, but verify EVERYTHING.

I'm a younger guy and I really don't pay much mind or like "airport security".

Back