Regarding recent 172 crash

Dr. O

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
denny
Not wanting to hijack the thread on the 172 crash:

There is always a chain of events that ends in a crash. Yeah, I can babble on about the comments on his age and probable lack of flying hours and perhaps a culture of casualness at his airport (or not - as that comment was pure speculation)
What I want to discuss here is the role that 9/11 has/is playing in recent crashes. Local airports used to be where young men with a desire to fly would hang out.
Often for years before they were old enough to take lessons. And the pilots and students and wanna-be's would invariably be there on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons, drinking coffee or pop, and having general discussions (mostly airplanes, but a few items about female anatomy would pop up)
There was a lot of learning going on even though most of them thought of it as shooting the bull. There would be discussion (as we are here) of the latest crash and speculation on the cause of the crash would be dissected (as we are here). The young pilot (and some older ones) would hear from Frank or Norm how they had a crate get loose on a bumpy flight and shift to the rear putting the plane out of balance. And how they slammed the stick to the firewall and went full throttle and nursed the plane around in the most shallow turn known to man to avoid a pitch up stall and how they came screaming across the fence still at full throttle and did not put on any flaps to avoid losing control. Yeah, they ran off the end of the runway and ground looped but both he and the plane survived.
Information like that is absorbed, not formally learned. It becomes a subconscious reservoir of what to do when the unthinkable happens.

So what is different today?
The wanna be pilot does not get to the pilot's lounge because he is not yet a student and does not have a ID badge to get through the electronic door locks.
The student pilot grows weary of the hassle of locked doors and guards so he show up on tome for his lesson and leaves 5 minutes after he is done.
The older pilots disgusted with the security-kabooky-theater basically don't come to the airport anymore other than when they are going flying.

So the oral history and group learning does not happen.
The other thing I have noted is that students will pass their check ride and will have never flown a plane with more than two people on board. The local instructors I know make it a practice that before a student finishes up they are put in a fully loaded airplane and shown how it handles differently and responds differently. Volunteers to fill those seats were usually recruited from the pilot loungs. Today that lounge is ghost city.

9/11 and ultimate security at any price has changed all that - not for the better.

Agree completely, though there are still many small fields around where one isn't required to go through that BS.

The wanna be pilot does not get to the pilot's lounge because he is not yet a student and does not have a ID badge to get through the electronic door locks.

I'm sure it's different at some airports, but at every FBO I'm familiar with, only the ramp area is locked. Lounges and other areas where pilots congregate and talk are still open to everyone.

I see your point, and it is valid to a large degree, but.......

Is a 19 year old kid going to listen to a bunch of old farts talking about the go old old days? :dunno: :no:

I would submit listening to the old school hangar rats is just as bad. I can remember talking to old timers who don't believe in GPS's in airplanes, glass cock pits were a fad, and experimentals were for crazy people. I had a old school CFI tell a buddy he could not flight train in his experimental because it didn't have a VOR. :mad2:

Getting information from people who are old is just that. You are getting old information.

Last edited:
I see you point, and it is valid to a degree, but.......

Is a 19 year old kid going to listen to a bunch of old farts talking about the go old old days? :dunno: :no:

I would submit listening to the old school hangar rats is just as bad. I can remember talking to old timers who don't believe in GPS's in airplanes, glass cock pits were a fad, and experimentals were for crazy people. I had a old school CFI tell a buddy he could not flight train in his experimental because it didn't have a VOR. :mad2:

Getting information from people who are old is just that. You are getting old information, and I'm old. :lol:
Yeah, but what about the ones who know what they are talking about, are not living in the past, and actually have usefulness to newbies, for advice and as role models? In my personal experience, I'd say the ratio leans slightly towards the latter.
I've also noticed that most of these youngsters are eager to learn from anyone who's been flying a long time... and the new culture of fences, gates, and general suspicion is keeping the best of both pilot generations from getting together. :(

In the past year I went from flying at the high security of an AFB to a small county airport with just a locked gate to keep people off the flight line for safety and a grass strip with 1940's airplanes you can walk around freely.

It's still possible to live the good old days. Still it's hard for the real thing to compete with video games.

Cheers

I do not think it has anything to do with hangar talking. It is a failure in teaching. Often we are taught things but never taught the real world use of it. Like why would I need to take algebra or trigonometry in high school. Teaching slow flight, stalls, and spins to a student pilot has to include real world examples of what goes wrong when YOU fail.
Currently, I am working on a helicopter rating. I've learned (and not all from the instructor) what happens when YOU fail.
It goes along with other threads about practicing power off landings, short field take offs and landings, and emergency procedures. Thing you have to know to prevent YOUR failure.

It's also about not following procedure.

No amount of great advice from others will save you if you take shortcuts and make assumptions.

I remember when High Schools showed films about the dangers of drinking and driving to those of us going to the prom. they did their best to scare the bejesus out of us hoping some of it stuck on our pea brains. the AF did the same when I had to take their motorcycle course to be allowed to ride on base and also did so when teaching us to remove rings and watches before working on electronics lest we shoot part of a finger across the room.

Where is the scare tactic in learning to fly and showing us what can happen when we decide to screw the pooch?

There is a good quote about flying being even more unforgiving than the sea. I like to peruse the data of aviation crashes. I think that unfortunately as long as human beings are involved with aviation we are going to see that 85 percent of crashes involved with pilot error.

Aviation is pretty hard to get into these days financially. I suppose that more education, such as requiring all pilots to have an instrument rating before they are allowed to carry passengers could help with that pilot error. Of course you can find instrument rated pilots making mistakes too.

There is a good quote about flying being even more unforgiving than the sea. I like to peruse the data of aviation crashes. I think that unfortunately as long as human beings are involved with aviation we are going to see that 85 percent of crashes involved with pilot error.

Aviation is pretty hard to get into these days financially. I suppose that more education, such as requiring all pilots to have an instrument rating before they are allowed to carry passengers could help with that pilot error. Of course you can find instrument rated pilots making mistakes too.

Are you trying to single handedly kill off GA?

I remember when High Schools showed films about the dangers of drinking and driving to those of us going to the prom. they did their best to scare the bejesus out of us hoping some of it stuck on our pea brains. the AF did the same when I had to take their motorcycle course to be allowed to ride on base and also did so when teaching us to remove rings and watches before working on electronics lest we shoot part of a finger across the room.

Where is the scare tactic in learning to fly and showing us what can happen when we decide to screw the pooch?

The Aviation Instructor's Hanbook says we're not supposed to do that anymore...emphasize the positive...

Are you trying to single handedly kill off GA?

No. I know that is not practical. Setting 17 year olds loose with a private pilot rating like the FAA did for me in 1970 is asking for some occasional challenges. Thankfully I managed to not get into trouble.

No. I know that is not practical. Setting 17 year olds loose with a private pilot rating like the FAA did for me in 1970 is asking for some occasional challenges. Thankfully I managed to not get into trouble.

Setting anyone off with a private pilot rating is asking for challenges. I don't understand why you guys on this forum like to blame young people for all of GA's problems. I am willing to bet that younger new pilots are more apt and capable than older new pilots.

Making assumptions, carelessness, not following procedure nor ensuring the safety of your flight prep knows no age. Good judgment (or flawed judgment for that matter) knows no age either.

Last edited:
Setting anyone off with a private pilot rating is asking for challenges. I don't understand why you guys on this forum like to blame young people for all of GA's problems. I am willing to bet that younger new pilots are more apt and capable than older new pilots.

Seriously?
All pilots are required to meet the same qualifications and pass the same tests.

:dunno: Really? I know many pilots who do not have a rating yet have safely flown for years. Education is no insurance against bad judgement, and safety is all about what happens between your ears before the prop spins.

Last edited:
Seriously?
All pilots are required to meet the same qualifications and pass the same tests.

An old 65 year old fart who just passed his private pilot check ride after 200 hours of failure is definitely not better than a young person who passed with flying colors at 40 hours. Yet PoA continues to push all blame to the young pilots. Makes no sense.

An old 65 year old fart who just passed his private pilot check ride after 200 hours of failure is definitely not better than a young person who passed with flying colors at 40 hours. Yet PoA continues to push all blame to the young pilots. Makes no sense.

Not sure where you are getting your information. Sounds like opinionated assumptions with no basis in fact.

Getting information from people who are old is just that. You are getting old information.

Soooooooo.....getting information from an ATP who does frequent simulator runs and daily flies in state of the art equipment is invalid just because of his age??? Get serious. I am an old fart, and I also am committed to continuing education because I recognize that technology, while not a magic solution to everything, is a valuable aid to safe flying. I have flown enough in enough adverse conditions in 20+ years of flying on active duty with the USCG to know that current techniques and current information is a key tool to safe aviation. Your attitude leads me to believe you are immune to learning.

Last edited:

Ahhh, the magnificence of youth who know everything before they are eighteen.

I am reminded of boot camp where the old DI obviously didn't know what he was talking about since he was an ancient 35+.

What a statement. :goofy:

Some of this thread's participants may want to consider that it's possible to oppose derogatory stereotypes about one age group without indulging in derogatory stereotypes about another age group. :)

Yup, except in 2011.

Damn kids these days - bunch of rapscalllions let me tell ya. I saw a girl showing her ankles on the beach this weekend! Have they no humility?

:dunno: Really? I know many pilots who do not have a rating yet have safely flown for years. Education is no insurance against bad judgement, and safety is all about what happens between your ears before the prop spins.

You make a good point. Just educating someone is no insurance against bad judgment.

Damn kids these days - bunch of rapscalllions let me tell ya. I saw a girl showing her ankles on the beach this weekend! Have they no humility?

Supposedly the Automobile insurance industry finds that younger male drivers are much more likely to have a problem such as an accident. I suspect that somewhere in the General Aviation pile of information there is some information regarding younger pilots and accident rates. Really old drivers tend to have accidents at a greater rate also.

Supposedly the Automobile insurance industry finds that younger male drivers are much more likely to have a problem such as an accident. I suspect that somewhere in the General Aviation pile of information there is some information regarding younger pilots and accident rates. Really old drivers tend to have accidents at a greater rate also.

I haven't noticed any trend in insurance being more expensive for me - I have 130k hull on the mooney that costs me $1300/yr.

OTOH my motorcycle insurance is $250/mo. Yesterday I saw a bunch of high school kids racing their cars in a parking lot - idiots like that are the reason my insurance is so damn high.

Ahhh, the magnificence of youth who know everything before they are eighteen.

I am reminded of boot camp where the old DI obviously didn't know what he was talking about since he was an ancient 35+.

What a statement. :goofy:

Nice that you take my statements out of context.

Soooooooo.....getting information from an ATP who does frequent simulator runs and daily flies in state of the art equipment is invalid just because of his age??? Get serious. I am an old fart, and I also am committed to continuing education because I recognize that technology, while not a magic solution to everything, is a valuable aid to safe flying. I have flown enough in enough adverse conditions in 20+ years of flying on active duty with the USCG to know that current techniques and current information is a key tool to safe aviation. Your attitude leads me to believe you are immune to learning.

Are you a hangar rat drinking coffee instead of flying and talking about the good ol days before radios?

I learn from experts, not hangar rats. ;)

Last edited:
I haven't ridden with any teenager who was a bad driver (after about 2 years on the road) The problem is, they do dumb stuff and wreck cars. I knew a kid whose parents bought him a race car - he was GOOD. Usually came in 3rd or better, but one night he and 2 of his buddies took moms Mercedes for a joyride and flipped it around a corner going about 110. One of the kids got thrown about 30' through the moonroof, the other got tossed through the windshield, and the one wearing his seatbelt walked away. Thankfully none of them died, but 2 of them spent a month in the hospital.

I also struggle with impulsiveness, but all I can do is recognize that I have it and try to control it.

Are you a hangar rat drinking coffee instead of flying and talking about the good ol days before radios?

I learn from experts, not hangar rats.

Perhaps you should re-read your original statement. You said, (to paraphrase), that getting information from people who are old means getting old information. That is blatantly untrue.
I will agree that getting information from those of any age who have no commitment to keeping up with current technology is a bad idea. I know the type of personality you are referring to, but please don't paint all us old guys with the same broad brush, we're sensitive and fragile. :yesnod:

The problem with young people (particularly boys) is being impulsive. Indidntknow I was impulsive until I did something very dumb without thinking it through, or about the consequences. I ALWAYS am fighting the urge to do something without thinking - whether it's not looking at the weather and just going, or going 115 on the on-ramp on the motorcycle.

The problem with young people (particularly boys) is being impulsive. Indidntknow I was impulsive until I did something very dumb without thinking it through, or about the consequences. I ALWAYS am fighting the urge to do something without thinking - whether it's not looking at the weather and just going, or going 115 on the on-ramp on the motorcycle.

I agree. I am very impulsive in my decision to grab an FBO cookie wherever I go.

Do you have anything better to do then to bash young "boys"? You are generalizing and assuming all young people are dangerous and dumb. I still want to find a 50+ year old who can learn better than a teenager. You won't find one because they all have their head stuck behind a newspaper which is written at a 6th grade reading level... Guess it's time to start looking up retirement communities in Florida.

Do you have anything better to do then to bash young "boys"? You are generalizing and assuming all young people are dangerous and dumb. I still want to find a 50+ year old who can learn better than a teenager. You won't find one because they all have their head stuck behind a newspaper which is written at a 6th grade reading level... Guess it's time to start looking up retirement communities in Florida.

:popcorn:

I pooed a little. MFW when I read this post.

3agusu9u.jpg

Back