? Regarding prof pilot jobs

MikeLima

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeLima
Here’s my situation. Earned my ppl 21 months ago. Now have a little over 250 hours in SEL. Starting my instrument rating next week. Today I was at the airport and while we were talking I mentioned I am retiring from my job in 11 months. I will be 53 years old. Two commercial pilots with prof flying jobs indicated that if I went ahead and got my commercial that I would be able to find a job flying after I retire and it wouldn’t have to be instructing.

I like those guys but they may just be telling me what they think I want to hear so I’m asking for input from a bunch of strangers now—— so, if you have some actual knowledge of the market, is there jobs and that would be suitable for someone with my age and level of experience? If so, a little detail about the job would be great.

There are jobs that exist, but you probably won't be able to get one where you live unless you're lucky. Flying jobs are where they are and don't come to you.

So will you be able to find a job? Probably.

Will it be one that you want to take? Not necessarily.

Will it be where you live already? Probably not.

Sure,
No one for,the most part cares about your age, minus some jobs that have a mandatory retirement age, and none of those jobs will take someone with your low hours.

So 250hrs...

You got banner tow

A parachute jump pilot ( need to be quite desperate as that's normally a 500hr job)

Ferry airplanes, again you'd have to be pretty cheap with only 250hrs

Travel abroad to Namibia or Botswana and fly, fun adventure, but they might care about your age since you wouldn't fit their mold

Tow gliders

Work in aviation sales, and do a few demo flights.

It's not super easy to get that first job, 500hrs is quite hard for some people to reach. VERY hard for most people unwilling to move.

Age won't necessarily be a factor, but experience and qualifications will. See Dick Karl's series of articles in Flying about retiring from doctoring to start a career as a charter pilot.

You'll likely need to have your multi engine rating and turbine time to find jobs.

If you go for something like charter flying, location may not be as big of a factor as you think. Some charter airlines have agreements with other charter outfits or airlines to deadhead to your hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of it is who you know in the corporate world at your airport, and even 135 Charter outfits. If there are charter outfits nearby stop in, introduce yourself, and maybe you can get some right seat time. That could lead to some part time work, and eventually may lead to the left seat. But you definitely require, as a minimum, Commercial cert, Instrument rating, and ME rating.

Age won't necessarily be a factor, but experience and qualifications will. See Dick Karl's series of articles in Flying about retiring from doctoring to start a career as a charter pilot.

You'll likely need to have your multi engine rating and turbine time to find jobs.

If you go for something like charter flying, location may not be as big of a factor as you think. Some charter airlines have agreements with other charter outfits or airlines to deadhead to your hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbine time, multi, charter?

You're telling him how to install the windows when he hasn't even poured a foundation.

Turbine time, multi, charter?

You're telling him how to install the windows when he hasn't even poured a foundation.

One has to be qualified for most if not all these operations. Often it's company policy and/or insurance company.

Back