Regaining 3rd class medical adter failed ua

Baden2018

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tailspin
Hello. I am an A&P by which I make my living. I am also a private pilot, with aspirations of becoming a helicopter aerial applicator. At my previous job, I failed a random ua for marijuana. Needless to say, I got let go because it was a part 135 safety sensitive operation. I was also notified by the local flight surgeon that I no longer have a medical at this time. The FAA/DOT provides a path to get back into the maintenance side of safety sensitive ooerations, of which I am currently participating in, meeting with an SAP, and subsequent out patient meetings. My question is, how can I re-obtain my medical?

You will be looking at the HIMS process. See hims.org to begin to familiarize yourself.

Well, was it a DOT test or “just “ n airline test, it makes a difference in severity. If it was a DOT, if you ever get one again you can’t even drive a bus. Hey no kidding.

EIther way you need to start a negative urine test program, run by a HIMS AME.Then you do NA (log it) and after 6-8 months of adeuqte recovery activities, yousee both the HIMS psychiatrist ($3K) and the HIMS Neuropscyhologist, Also $3K). If they are favorable you can get a 3rd class Special issue.

If you need a 2nd or a First class you also however need rehab. No ifs ands or buts. Why? You are going to be presumed to have dependency- after all you have satisfied one of the criteria already- continued use in an industry in which you knew the consequences. No certificatiion at revenue grade w/o rehab. Then you need 90 NA meetings logged in 90 days, If that all goes well at then end of 6-8 months you can apply for a 2nd or First class.

3rd class only, if you do 24 months of proven urine sobriety, and can convince the HIMS psyhiatrist with your recovery activities, you can do the SI 3rd class without the psychologist, and without rehab- but it’s only good for 3rd class.

Don't know what happened last night, but the above is me.

Well, was it a DOT test or “just“ an airline test, it makes a difference in severity. If it was a DOT, if you ever get one again you can’t even drive a bus. Hey no kidding.

Either way you need to start a negative urine test program, run by a HIMS AME.Then you do NA (log it) and after 6-8 months of adeuqte recovery activities, yousee both the HIMS psychiatrist ($3K) and the HIMS Neuropscyhologist, Also $3K). If they are favorable you can get a 3rd class Special issue.

If you need a 2nd or a First class you also however need rehab. No ifs ands or buts. Why? You are going to be presumed to have dependency- after all you have satisfied one of the criteria already- continued use in an industry in which you knew the consequences. No certification at revenue grade w/o rehab. Then you need 90 NA meetings logged in 90 days, If that all goes well at then end of 6-8 months you can apply for a 2nd or First class.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back