Refusal to give way to emerg a/c!

Flying solely within a non English speaking country. Then learning enough to pass the test when going international.

Japanese controller speaking English to a Chinese pilot. :sigh: I'll wait for the tapes before I point any fingers. But regardless, it's a good argument to put a big traffic light at the runway entrance -- green for "takeoff," red for "hold short," and yellow for "line up and wait."

Japanese controller speaking English to a Chinese pilot. :sigh: I'll wait for the tapes before I point any fingers. But regardless, it's a good argument to put a big traffic light at the runway entrance -- green for "takeoff," red for "hold short," and yellow for "line up and wait."

Amen to that. I've heard some of those Japanese controllers on Ch 9 when riding United into NRT. Even when you know what they are going to say it can be a serious challenge. I'm sure Greg B can provide some real horror stories.

Amen to that. I've heard some of those Japanese controllers on Ch 9 when riding United into NRT. Even when you know what they are going to say it can be a serious challenge. I'm sure Greg B can provide some real horror stories.

Not really horror stories. You do eventually get used to it. "Say Again" is a perfectly acceptable phrase.

BTW, it has been my experience that the Japanese women controllers and the clearance delivery controllers are the hardest to understand.

BTW, it has been my experience that the Japanese women controllers and the clearance delivery controllers are the hardest to understand.
You warned me about this and you were right! There's something about the way they speak in a very rapid, mechanical monotone that makes it hard to understand. I can only imagine what problems a non-native English speaking pilot might have understanding a non-native English speaking controller.

put a big traffic light at the runway entrance -- green for "takeoff," red for "hold short," and yellow for "line up and wait."

This is a great idea. Which is exactly the reason the FAA will never do it!

I just listened to that live atc. That painful to hear.

Add nine more guys that sound like that, and who aren't through their Private check rides yet, are generally lost just entering the pattern, and you've got... KDVT! :)

Add nine more guys that sound like that, and who aren't through their Private check rides yet, are generally lost just entering the pattern, and you've got... KDVT! :)

Ryan down west of Tucson is just about as bad. Very patient controllers.

Back