Reducing picture sizes

The Old Man

Line Up and Wait
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
The Old Man
Sometime back, I think someone posted several choices for software that reduces the 3m filesize of high res digital pics to something a little more manageable.

I now find myself in need of a way to do that. We have dropped the Sony Mavica camera in favor of a Canon EOS. I need to dreduce the heck out of recent pics before uploading them to my journal site.

Tahnks for the help.

Sometime back, I think someone posted several choices for software that reduces the 3m filesize of high res digital pics to something a little more manageable.

I now find myself in need of a way to do that. We have dropped the Sony Mavica camera in favor of a Canon EOS. I need to dreduce the heck out of recent pics before uploading them to my journal site.

Tahnks for the help.

Pixresizer. Works easy and fast.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

-Skip

Most photo editing software can do simple image file re-sizing ("image optimizing," in Web terms), but some do it better than others. My favorite is Fireworks, because it's designed for the Web and I'm used to it. But there are many others.

If you're looking for something powerful and free, you can always try the GIMP. Not the easiest software to use, but it's free and powerful.

One thing, though: Whatever software you use, back up the originals first and save the optimized images with different file names in case you over-optimize (easy to do) and aren't happy with the results.

Rich

Most photo editing software can do simple image file re-sizing ("image optimizing," in Web terms), but some do it better than others. My favorite is Fireworks, because it's designed for the Web and I'm used to it. But there are many others.

Simply re-sizing the picture leads to color and definition problems. (Color averaging and stairstepping of straight lines)

If you're looking for something powerful and free, you can always try the GIMP. Not the easiest software to use, but it's free and powerful.

I tried to download it on my dial-up. Calculated as a 90+ minute download, but lost connection after about 65 minutes.

One thing, though: Whatever software you use, back up the originals first and save the optimized images with different file names in case you over-optimize (easy to do) and aren't happy with the results.

To me, that was a given going in.

Another plug for Pixresizer.

Small (quick download), fast, easy. Free. :):)

-Skip

Another plug for Pixresizer.

Small (quick download), fast, easy. Free. :):)

-Skip
Chuckle,

I have downloaded and installed it. Tried it out on several pix from our Alpine, TX and am very pleased with the results.

Attachments

• 128 Alpine TX (562 x 375).jpg
    128 Alpine TX (562 x 375).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
Chuckle,

I have downloaded and installed it. Tried it out on several pix from our Alpine, TX and am very pleased with the results.

What wuz you doin' in Alpine? Nice airport, ain't it?

Ditto on Ifran!
You can do a hundred at a time, (the 'batch' that Wm refers to)
Free program, fast download, no downsides.

What wuz you doin' in Alpine? Nice airport, ain't it?

It wuz a beautiful trip. Thanks to Pixresizer, the pictures are ready to go. I just need to finish up the text for the journal entry.

Back