REDL ???

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
The avionics shop can't fly me back today but the plane is ready to go, so I was thinking of taking a short fuel run down to 2B3, but this NOTAM caught my eye:

!BGR 01/326 2B3 RWY 18/36 REDL OUT OF SERVICE 1801142001-1805312359

I checked the P/CG for REDL but couldn't find any entry under the Rs that matched. Does anyone know what it stands for? (I'm guessing it's a Runway E* D* Lighting system, and so not likely an issue during the day, but I don't want to fly down there on an assumption.)

Yeah but I wanted to be sure my guess was correct... someone on the New England Pilots FB group said it was Runway Edge Lighting. It could very well be, they're not always acronyms.

The REDLINE is out of service. You can run as many RPMs as you like.

It is "Runway Edge Lights" per this publication. Do a search for REDL and you'll find what I'm referencing

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/order/notam.pdf
Thanks Mike! That settles it.

Well I didn't go. Got to the plane, found that even though the Reiff heater was plugged in, with a wool sleeping bag draped (loosely) over the cowl, the CHTs were in the 30s and the oil temp was only 54. I'm not sure whether the heater has a bad element, or whether it is because it had been out on the ramp for 6 hours with the front of the plane facing into a stiff northerly breeze with an OAT -7C (about 19F). The FBO owner thinks it is NOT from the cold wind, but I'm not sure since when I was based in Michigan, I never tried to sustain a pre-heat outside the hangar for an extended time like that, and I can't imagine that even a good heater could keep supplying heat at the rate that wind was sucking it away. But I do know that inside the hangar, after a full night's pre-heat the oil temp was typically over 120F and the CHTs were typically in the 90s to 100F. John did check the circuit, and it was live.

If the heater is bad, that will pretty much put an end to my winter flying here in the wilds of Vermont... :(

As an airport operator, that was even a new one for me. Runway EDge Lights. I thought we were supposed to be moving away from acronyms to plain language, but they seem to keep coming up with new ones.

Back