redboard xpost: EX-500 Update via internet

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Jeppesen finally managed to work out a way to update my MFD via internet download. Up till now each monthly update came by mail on a CDROM. And inevitably I was often out of town with the airplane when an update arrived at home that was due before I planned to return. So now I can receive the update in the field and not have to worry about missing one in the mail.

Now if Avidyne would just update their software so the data could be loaded from a USB flashdrive I wouldn't have to lug the Iomega Zipdrive along too. Avionics are such a bizzare combination of new technology and obsolete stuff.

lancefisher said:
Now if Avidyne would just update their software so the data could be loaded from a USB flashdrive I wouldn't have to lug the Iomega Zipdrive along too. Avionics are such a bizzare combination of new technology and obsolete stuff.

In aviation? What was the last car ignition that had magnetos?

Mostly "Obsolete" lance. Someone need to get them into the 21st century even the 20th would be nice (lol).
Dave G

mikea said:
In aviation? What was the last car ignition that had magnetos?
That would be a Sprint Car (dirt track racer) (LOL)
Dave

ah yes, i spent many a weekend when i was younger watching sprinters go round and round. what was the reasoning that they stuck with magnetos dave, do you know?

tonycondon said:
ah yes, i spent many a weekend when i was younger watching sprinters go round and round. what was the reasoning that they stuck with magnetos dave, do you know?

Probably so they didn't need batteries.

After seeing and hearing this week about the crap that a manufacturer has to go through for even a minor change in equipment/parts, I am truly not surprised. Not at all.

The regulatory system is broken.

In the time it takes to get a piece of equipment certified, the "standards" for interfacing can become obsolete - so there is no point in a manufacturer using anything but proprietary.

The president of an aircraft company this week told me that the cost of the regulatory QA process for every part they ship is over $150 - and that is the "minimum" cost. If they even ship a $1.00 plastic door latch handle, they're bound by the process and the cost (i.e. the cost to them for the handle is $151).... and that process is in addition to the process that an outside vendor must take. Tire, spark plug, etc. all the same. Not even including insurance costs.

The process an airplane manufacturer must follow to make a simple change in avionics at the customers request is astounding. The plane must be manufactured with the equipment specified in the original FAA approvals, then it has to go to a shop where the original equipment is removed and the customer requested equipment is installed. 337's are required as appropriate.

And it's going to get worse. We talked about my prop issue. At the conclusion of that discussion, he told me that one FAA office was trying to nail a guy to the wall for not complying with the provisions of a service instruction.... the service instruction was mentioned in the POH/AFM for the plane, and if all the conditions in the service instruction were not complied with the POH/AFM was invalid, and therefore the plane was unairworthy.

The more this stuff happens, the more I think we'll all be flying experimentals at some point.

BTW, there is a lot of suspicion out there that the airlines are pushing some of this stuff to get flivvers out of the air.

Back