Redbird Simulator

kawizx62003

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kawizx62003
I have a chance to do some time in a Redbird simulator. I am pre solo in my PPL. It's $90 an hour w/o CFI. Is this worth it?

I don't think it is. You could almost rent a plane for that amount. Others will probably disagree with me though. Nothing like the real thing.

I don't think it is. You could almost rent a plane for that amount. Others will probably disagree with me though. Nothing like the real thing.

Not quite true. With the sim, you can pause it and discuss what's happening and the student gets the point without having to be distracted by a situation that continues to develop. We used a Redbird to run PPL students through their first six or seven hours, and they were at ease with the real thing really quick and soloed on time and saved money. And they learned the radio calls, too, in the sim. Radio is distracting at first in the airplane.

Besides, what airplane plus instructor goes for $90 anymore? An ultralight?

Dan

HECK NO!!!!

For that price you can rent a Cessna 150 wet!! that's a real airplane (well kinda lol) not a fancy MS flight Sim (which is what the redbird is).

Don't waste your money. Simulators are good at making you learn procedures, that's it. Very few sims have realistic flight characteristics, based on my experience Red Bird isn't one of them. Invest in the sim when you'll start doing your IFR training.

The problem with the Redbirds even for IFR is that they are a bit lacking in reality especially when it comes into the fancier situations like the G1000 where it is worse than useless in that it doesn't act anything like the real thing.

Hey Ron, how's the Redbirds working out for PIC?

By the way, the things flight dynamics appears stolen from Microsoft flight simulator in violation of the rules for getting these devices approved. You do some research into the nature of these things and determine if you want to learn how to fly something that is not indicative of any real aircraft.

Not quite true. With the sim, you can pause it and discuss what's happening and the student gets the point without having to be distracted by a situation that continues to develop. We used a Redbird to run PPL students through their first six or seven hours, and they were at ease with the real thing really quick and soloed on time and saved money. And they learned the radio calls, too, in the sim. Radio is distracting at first in the airplane.

Dan

Cessna 150 my wife rents is 65/hr wet.

HECK NO!!!!

For that price you can rent a Cessna 150 wet!! that's a real airplane (well kinda lol) not a fancy MS flight Sim (which is what the redbird is).

What part of the world do you live in?
In the NY tri-state area a 152 will cost at least $115.00 +++ an hour, depending what airport. The worst I've seen was $135.00 but I don't fly the 152 often, so I don't check all that much.

The Redbird is fine, if it doesn't make you puke, and it makes a lot of people puke.

The sim is actually at Orange County NY airport.

My instructor says it's great for transitioning from "normal" flying to flying in LA with a complex aircraft (Cirrus SR22) and complex airspace with multiple ATC's. In the "complex" environment, things happen REALLY fast. You're always dealing with high stress situations...thinking ahead of the plane, talking to multiple ATC's, and tuning in frequencies. I'm looking forward to the ability to pause and discuss, rather than dealing with the added strain of moving at 185 KNTS. The savings are great: $90 versus $290 / hr. wet. My instructor is going to play the ATC. I will check in again after I use it.

Does your CFI use live traffic situations or some other technique to reproduce the busy environment in the sim? Otherwise, where's
s the value?

During sim sessions "at JFK" the traffic and chatter always seemed lighter than in the plane. :)

My instructor says it's great for transitioning from "normal" flying to flying in LA with a complex aircraft (Cirrus SR22) and complex airspace with multiple ATC's. In the "complex" environment, things happen REALLY fast. You're always dealing with high stress situations...thinking ahead of the plane, talking to multiple ATC's, and tuning in frequencies. I'm looking forward to the ability to pause and discuss, rather than dealing with the added strain of moving at 185 KNTS. The savings are great: $90 versus $290 / hr. wet. My instructor is going to play the ATC. I will check in again after I use it.

In the NY tri-state area a 152 will cost at least $115.00 +++ an hour, depending what airport. The worst I've seen was $135.00 but I don't fly the 152 often, so I don't check all that much.

The Redbird is fine, if it doesn't make you puke, and it makes a lot of people puke.

West coast.

For 135hr wet, why wouldn't folks just buy a 150 and rent it to the dumb rich folks that will pay that much?!

My 150 is $80/hour wet. :dunno:

Ok, since reviews were mixed (what else could I expect), I gave it a shot. Not impressed by any means. The most realistic thing was the feeling of the mains hitting the ground on a landing. Other than that it was like Microsoft flight sim but fancier. Ya win some u lose some. However, the guy who runs the business was five of five stars.

I did my Multi-engine commercial add-on at the actual Skyport facility. They wanted me to do 5 hours in the sim and after about half an hour I told them I wanted to get in the real plane and do it there - I still got signed off for my checkride with 3.8 hours.

Did you use them in SM?

Yup - I really like them for doing IR procedures and emergency procedures, doing basic PP maneuvers in them to me seemed like an excersize in futility due to the limited view and inability to "turn your head" so to speak.

I think if they somehow integrated Track IR they would have a real winner (well they already have a winner - they will just have a bigger winner)

Tried to go book some time with Redbird in San Marcos, was told they didn't have a single opening until late September.

I just wanted a couple hours time on an IFR sim, but apparently they didn't want my money.

-Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Call the plant and ask for a tour.

Tried to go book some time with Redbird in San Marcos, was told they didn't have a single opening until late September.

I just wanted a couple hours time on an IFR sim, but apparently they didn't want my money.

-Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan

It's $90/hr withOUT the instructor. A wet 152 even in overpriced Palo Alto is $84/hour.

When ARTC in Carrollton, TX was open (sadly now closed), their Redbird FMX sim was $70/hr less instructor, $90 with one of their instructors.

I have one hour in that sim and do see the value for teaching procedures, especially to a new IFR student.

I used a Redbird FMX @$75 per hour. It was ok to refresh my procedures after a 30 year hiatus. If I had to do it again, I would have limited the time as I put in 10 hours prior to getting in a plane again. However, I was in the process of losing weight and there was a W&B situation to deal with. If I had a choice, I probably wouldn't have spent more than 5 hours in it. I had to get used to flying again and bring in the air. I think sims are good for PPL training to a point.

The flight club I go to has a TD2 for $50/hr. The G1000 simulation is missing many things. The control feel is horrible and the flight model is only a little better. On the other hand, it's great for actual procedures, especially systems failures. Nothing like flying the DME arc to a LOC BC with a failed magnetometer at an airport 400 miles from home. Not sure I'd see the use for pre-instrument training. Maybe nav and systems stuff at a simple level.

They have one at hub city in Lubbock now, if you don't want to wait till September.

Looks to me like they are really only useful for procedures and IFR work.

Encore has a Redbird here in Van Nuys at $65 an hour, but I can rent a 172 at Whiteman for $107 wet so I don't see the advantage.

Back