Redbird FMX simulator

Arnold

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Arnold
Today I'm back to shoveling snow, but yesterday I had the pleasure to fly the Redbird FMX at N47 (Pottstown, PA). The good folks at TNT Air Inc. have one and set me up with instructor Steve for an intro ride. I am quite impressed. While the motion is limited it is sufficient to impart the feel of flying most of the time. Admittedly I did not put it to the test such as unusual attitudes. The visual display was first rate and while the FAA does not believe AATDs have the ability to properly execute a circling approach, I found that it does.

I don't get to fly enough, but now I know there is one more option when I want to get some instrument time.

My full review is here: http://www.arnoldfeldman.com/menublogs/catavblog/123-fmx

I visited their HQ in Austin, and was impressed with their determination; they've come a long way.

I met the team at Oshkosh 2008 & 2009. Great team and kudos to them for getting it fully certified. Their initial price point was quite attractive ($49k?) and I could see where it would be profitable for most schools. I love that it utilizes Microsoft Flight Sim X via MS ESP (great visuals) and I hope MS continues to support ESP.

Doug

Nice review of the redbird. The company I am training with has a new Redbird Sim. I can only log 2.5 hrs for my PPL, which I plan to do further into my learning for the best training results.

IR certification allows something like 20 hrs, so I'll definitely take advantage of that when the time comes.

They're a very good product. Even though they're marketed as an AATD, I believe that they may in fact be treated as an FTD by the FAA. It's important to look at the letter from the FAA accompanying the device to see how it's categorized, and to be prepared for YOUR FSDO to change that categorization when they do their inspection of it (I think it's yearly).

Nice review of the redbird. The company I am training with has a new Redbird Sim. I can only log 2.5 hrs for my PPL, which I plan to do further into my learning for the best training results.

IR certification allows something like 20 hrs, so I'll definitely take advantage of that when the time comes.

Unless you're finishing your ratings in minimum time, I think it's not really about what you can log...it's about whether it's better training and whether it can reduce time to train in the airplane.

Ohhh shoot. Didn't mean to necro post, my bad. It was a related thread from a much more recent thread. Apologies.

Back