RedBird Flight Simulator the "J"

The Aviator

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
The Aviator
I purchased a RedBird Flight "J" simulator In January of 2015.

The warranty is for 60 days and can return the "J" within 30 days for your money back but you have to pay mailing costs. After 60 days support could cost $100.00 / hour (which I found out later).

My purchased price was $2,490 plus mailing for my location was $190.00. Total price $2680.00.

The physical layout design of the "J" simulator is very good but the internal mechanics seems marginal at best. I was told some of the parts are contracted out and I don't know if quality control is a factor.

The first time I used the "J" simulator the speaker failed (A known problem with the "J") Support said they would send a new speaker but would be external to the "J". The "J" simulator is well sealed ( it would seem one with a replacement part would have to send the "J" back for repair). They would charge me for the part and its mailing. I decided to use a spare speaker I had.

A few days later flying the C-172 (steam gauge) software program the attitude indicator (AI) could not be adjusted for straight and level flight. The support center said they would get a fix but showed me an alternate way to adjust the AI (C-172) in the meantime but could not tell me when it would be available.

The trim on the control wheel when used made too much of a correction and was hard to use in climb, glide and level flight. I had to reduce the power setting to get level flight with the AI. I called support and they adjusted the trim software to be more sensitive but still not accurate. The AI wings on the horizon bar was off by 1 to 1/2 bars for level flight. Again my reducing cruise flight RPM the AI would be useable somewhat.
A few days later In making level,climbing and gliding turns the control wheel was stiff and binding (sticking and thumping sound) especial with left turns with the ailerons. Also when using pitch with the foreword and rearward motion the control wheel shaft was binding. The control wheel shaft goes through the front metal plate and has what I call a plastic white grommet that the control wheel passes through and moving the control wheel lifts the grommet and the wheel binds or moves in jerking motion (sticks slightly) and looks like the hole for grommet is too wide (poor fit). Correcting for pitch and roll should be smooth. This makes the "J" difficult to control on its axis. I called support and told me it is a known problem and no fix will be available. If they sent me a new unit it would have a similar problem.
Support told me (maybe sales) to make it better to buy a "J" and would cost more to purchase a "J" (not the exact words but implied).

I think for the price of the "J" it should work well for a basic trainer. Anything people buy and no matter what the price it should work for what it was designed for. To me Redbird has not turned out a quality product.

I bought the "J" especially to practice instrument flight. I know you can't log this time but you can practice all the instrument flying and take a check ride when required. I can't afford the next level simulator which is priced at about 8K. Normally flight schools buy them and can write them off. Sorry I feel had to speak up.

Just to let you know I'm not a novice pilot. Ratings are; ATP, CFI-AIM Gold Seal, GI-AI, A&P, FE-Recip.

I purchased a RedBird Flight "J" simulator In January of 2015.

The warranty is for 60 days and can return the "J" within 30 days for your money back but you have to pay mailing costs. After 60 days support could cost $100.00 / hour (which I found out later).

My purchased price was $2,490 plus mailing for my location was $190.00. Total price $2680.00.

The physical layout design of the "J" simulator is very good but the internal mechanics seems marginal at best. I was told some of the parts are contracted out and I don't know if quality control is a factor.

The first time I used the "J" simulator the speaker failed (A known problem with the "J") Support said they would send a new speaker but would be external to the "J". The "J" simulator is well sealed ( it would seem one with a replacement part would have to send the "J" back for repair). They would charge me for the part and its mailing. I decided to use a spare speaker I had.

A few days later flying the C-172 (steam gauge) software program the attitude indicator (AI) could not be adjusted for straight and level flight. The support center said they would get a fix but showed me an alternate way to adjust the AI (C-172) in the meantime but could not tell me when it would be available.

The trim on the control wheel when used made too much of a correction and was hard to use in climb, glide and level flight. I had to reduce the power setting to get level flight with the AI. I called support and they adjusted the trim software to be more sensitive but still not accurate. The AI wings on the horizon bar was off by 1 to 1/2 bars for level flight. Again my reducing cruise flight RPM the AI would be useable somewhat.
A few days later In making level,climbing and gliding turns the control wheel was stiff and binding (sticking and thumping sound) especial with left turns with the ailerons. Also when using pitch with the foreword and rearward motion the control wheel shaft was binding. The control wheel shaft goes through the front metal plate and has what I call a plastic white grommet that the control wheel passes through and moving the control wheel lifts the grommet and the wheel binds or moves in jerking motion (sticks slightly) and looks like the hole for grommet is too wide (poor fit). Correcting for pitch and roll should be smooth. This makes the "J" difficult to control on its axis. I called support and told me it is a known problem and no fix will be available. If they sent me a new unit it would have a similar problem.
Support told me (maybe sales) to make it better to buy a "J" and would cost more to purchase a "J" (not the exact words but implied).

I think for the price of the "J" it should work well for a basic trainer. Anything people buy and no matter what the price it should work for what it was designed for. To me Redbird has not turned out a quality product.

I bought the "J" especially to practice instrument flight. I know you can't log this time but you can practice all the instrument flying and take a check ride when required. I can't afford the next level simulator which is priced at about 8K. Normally flight schools buy them and can write them off. Sorry I feel had to speak up.

Just to let you know I'm not a novice pilot. Ratings are; ATP, CFI-AIM Gold Seal, GI-AI, A&P, FE-Recip.

I typically deal with Redbird support once every few months, software updates and what-not. I've found their support to be prompt and helpful, however we operate a Redbird FMX. To me, it sounds like the bottom line is poor quality of the unit you have. Maybe yours specially, maybe the series.

$2700 bucks could buy you a lot of time in your local flight school's full motion sim I'm betting. Just something to think about if you're still within those 30 days...

EDIT: Just realized you're no longer in that 30 day period.

This could be why they aren't selling many. I was tempted, mainly for instrument practice and scenerio based training they promise but I never pulled the trigger. Seemed they didn't fullfill their promise on the Jay.

If you don't care about logging time then a home PC setup can do much more for less.

I'm not impressed by redbird. I got to try the full motion and it was a joke. A simulator is pointless if it doesn't actually simulate something real.

Back