Red Lodge, MT - KRED

KaiGywer

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KaiGywer
Looking at going to Red Lodge in February with the wife. It’s about a 6-7 hour drive or 2-3 hour flight. Has anyone ever flown there and can give a PIREP about rental cars, hangar etc? Yes I realize it’s Montana in the winter, so driving might be the only option, but I figured it’s worth a shot. We’d be renting a cabin and need to get to the ski resort and snowshoeing trails.

Interested in doing the same (with my wife of course ;)). No first hand knowledge, but did some research and was only able to come up with rental cars from Billings, about an hour drive away.

I stopped in at Red Lodge last July for a quick overnight. It's a nice but small airport; I didn't see an actual FBO and the hangars all looked to be privately owned. There are maybe 8-10 tiedown spots along with self serve fuel and a primitive "pilot's lounge". I didn't try for a rental car since I just walked the trail down the hill into town, found a room at the Yodeler Motel and then hoofed it up the street for beer and munch.

With your wife, baggage, winter... you're gonna want to skip that hiking trail to/from the airport and find a car.

I flew into KRED a couple times this summer to visit a friend, I'll 2nd/3rd the nice small airport. Tie downs should be ample since they won't have 10+ fire aircraft in February. Only question would be if they(the tie down spots) are under 6 feet of snow. Weather is pretty severe there, I'd be prepared to camp out for a week if a system rolls in.
The small lounge did have info on a flying club there - I'd probably try them first on PIREP for a winter trip. Redlodgeflying.com
I'd definitely have KBIL as an alternate, services easily available there.

Back