Red Bull Stratos

Anyone noticed today is exactly 65-th anniversary of Chuck Yeager's record sound barrier braking flight!!

Yeager did. He went up in a dual seat F-15 somewhere I heard. Haven't looked for articles.

Felix has a way with words....

zusa5a2e.jpg

Were any of you able to make out his little speech before he took TBL (The Big Leap)?

His audio was quite muffled/hard to understand, even for his own crew, so I assume that was an unintended quality issue.

Were any of you able to make out his little speech before he took TBL (The Big Leap)?

His audio was quite muffled/hard to understand, even for his own crew, so I assume that was an unintended quality issue.

“I know the whole world is watching right now and I wish the world could see what I can see. Sometimes you have to go up really high to understand how small you really are.”

Someone on the Red Board posted an image captured from within the capsule after the switched the feed to tracking his freefall.

9LF7P.gif

Gotta say it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. That image of him standing on the platform and then just leaning foward and falling into the abyss was incredible. He pulled the chute at 5200' exactly as planned...no freefall record because he simply got there a lot faster. Thanks for taking us along Felix. Well done!

Did he pull or did it auto-deploy? Doesn't matter really, but I'm a systems geek. So the details are fun. :)

Someone on the Red Board posted an image captured from within the capsule after the switched the feed to tracking his freefall.

9LF7P.gif

I think that's part of the scientific test package that came with this jump. For once and for all we will finally learn if cats land on their feet. :D

Jokes making the rounds... I like the second one best. Heh.

Another aviation first visiting this one, so to speak... ;)

3yja2a7a.jpg

javuveqa.jpg

How about this gem from MSNBC

Attachments

• 480377_10151055237662821_747084096_n.jpg
    480377_10151055237662821_747084096_n.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 28
Nate, how about the one where he is being passed by a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias?

(A Douglas Adams reference for those who haven't had their morning coffee yet)

How about this gem from MSNBC

ROFL. Considering the other stuff I read on the closed captioning of MSNBC while pounding out time on the treadmill at the gym (multiple TVs on the wall, one is always on MSNBC, which is mostly a waste of a good TV), that one looks similar. ;)

Back