Red Bull Stratos jump today

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I guess they may try again today. Waiting to see if it will go ahead. Still too early there at time of this post.

David

Now that would be a rush.

God speed.

This is not a gimmie, he wants to break the sound barrier on the way down. :eek:

Tried to watch on youtube. Their servers must be maxed out. Switched to Discovery channel.

David

He's almost up to 100,000ft.

The ground track is interesting. If it continues the way it has been, he might wind up dropping pretty close to the exact same spot he wound up launching from (KROW).

Started by going east, then south, then west, then north.

Also interesting is the OAT - it got down as low as -96F, and now, as he gets higher, the temperature is warming to nearly -15F.

What is the max altitude a balloon of that design can achieve?

What is the max altitude a balloon of that design can achieve?

World record was in 1961 by Victor Prather and Malcolm Ross who reached 113,740 or thereabouts.

Baumgartner just broke that record. Awesome stuff. He's over 115k now.

Watching this and my Falcons vs Raiders, I may need new batteries in the remote before its over.:D

World record was in 1961 by Victor Prather and Malcolm Ross who reached 113,740 or thereabouts.

Baumgartner just broke that record. Awesome stuff. He's over 115k now.

How about unmanned?

That was totally cool to watch. Any idea where I could see the ground track? My Bor in Law tried to tell me he went almost to the East Coats and back. Unless he was in an SR71 I don't see that happening.

Any idea if Red Bull paid this guy to make the jump. Not everything can be just in the name of science!

That was totally cool to watch. Any idea where I could see the ground track? My Bor in Law tried to tell me he went almost to the East Coats and back. Unless he was in an SR71 I don't see that happening.

Any idea if Red Bull paid this guy to make the jump. Not everything can be just in the name of science!

Not even close... He stayed within 40 miles of Roswell.

According to AvWeb, people on the ground think they heard a sonic boom from Baumgartner's jump. I was wondering how many of us are left that would recognize a sonic boom?

According to AvWeb, people on the ground think they heard a sonic boom from Baumgartner's jump. I was wondering how many of us are left that would recognize a sonic boom?
Surely there are a LOT of us who were alive in the 60s... :confused:

Surely there are a LOT of us who were alive in the 60s... :confused:

I remember hearing them growing up on the North side of Chicago and in the suburb of Niles, immediately north of Chicago. With some regularity.

Those were the days.

Not me! And I truly feel cheated.

Not me! And I truly feel cheated.

Same here. Closest I've gotten is hearing it on Mythbusters when they try to shatter windows with a low-flying Blue Angles (I think? Don't really remember...) jet. Impressive through the TV, amazing in person, I bet.

Same here. Closest I've gotten is hearing it on Mythbusters when they try to shatter windows with a low-flying Blue Angles (I think? Don't really remember...) jet. Impressive through the TV, amazing in person, I bet.

I live in Florida, and almost every time the shuttle landed, you could hear the sonic boom shake your windows. It was unreal.

Saw video of it on YouTube (his sonic boom, that is), captured by the cameras of the official crew...

Shuttle landings. That's it for me...

Sonic booms were commonplace in the 60's. But then I lived near an Air Force base.

Back