Red Bull Air Race

N8894J

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mjlowry
Have you seen this picture from the Red Bull obstacle course air race in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. This pilot was penalized 10 second for hitting this optical on the course. At 200 mph I would think he was lucky to land without injury to himself or this aircraft.

I think I would have to land and clean my self

Mark

Attachments

• 060321redbull.jpg
    060321redbull.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 54
I was reading about those pylons at some point. When they designed them after the testing was done, Peter Besenyei went out in his Extra and deliberately flew through one at speed. He just ripped right through it like in that picture.

Plus, the aircraft are fitted with "pylon cutters" in sort of the way some helicopters and ag planes have wire cutters.

Cutters or not i dont want to hit anything with a plane at 200 MPH plus.
Dave G

I've seen video of them "cutting" those pylons. They are tissue thin and have no noticable effect on the aircraft what so ever. Like hitting smoke.

N8894J said:
Have you seen this picture from the Red Bull obstacle course air race in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. This pilot was penalized 10 second for hitting this optical on the course. At 200 mph I would think he was lucky to land without injury to himself or this aircraft.

I think I would have to land and clean my self

Mark

Back