Red Bull air race at Monument Valley

citationxjl

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Anybody going to the Red Bull Air Race at Monument Valley on May 12? I got my tickets.
Also found out that the Gouldings airstrip is being paved for this event. I think Red Bull is covering the cost. Maybe they will put in an ILS? :)

The airstrip is paved and has centerline stripes. 8 hangars are up for the race planes. There is an R B (Red Bull) at the end of the runway instead of a number. There also is a minature control tower like structure at the runway and at the visitor center. I know they have a "control tower" for the race course. The redbull helicopters were in PGA fueling as well.

I know this is probably really nice for you guys flying in and out of there every day, but it kind of puts a crimp in the "coolness" of landing there.

Barb

:mad: Yeah, change is bad. I understand the runway will be closed until the 16th. I'll be arriving for a get together on the 17th, hope there are no delays.
Dave Rains

Just found out that Red Bull puts in runways all the time. They do a temporary paving, then tear it up and put it back how it was. I am willing to believe that thats what they will do at monument. Which is great!!! It keeps the whole fun of landing at Monument on the dirt. Makes the passengers love it as well.

And actually, all the operators I talked too, would rather have it dirt!! So hopefully they do tear it up!!

Yeah, I doubt the pavement would be maintain. So would soon be worse than the dirt.

Well the air race was awesome. And I am hearing both sides, that they are tearing the runway up, and that they are leaving it alone. I guess we will find out tommorrow when I land there!!

Back