Recurrent Training?

I certainly agree with Ted. Also, in a pressurized plane, longer trips would be the norm; so, more challenges including changes in the weather enroute. One really has to look at departure, what may be a long enroute segment, and arrival. Last week, I was on a 5.5 hour flight. Can be a long time from departure to arrival with a lot of different weather along the way.

Best,

Dave

There's something to that, although it always surprises me to see what "short" trips I see so many pressurized aircraft on. Then again, my scale is probably calibrated a bit incorrectly.

The interesting part is that most of the time, pressurized is easier. Since a great deal of weather stops by the time you hit the flight levels, you can be in the clear when it's ugly below. On the other hand, you might have to get through that ugly weather both going up and down, and if it's bad up high, it's really bad. So it's one of those tricks where the flying itself is easier most of the time, but you have to have a different skill set to handle the potentially worse situations.

LOL

You should try a 14 hour flight a third of the way around the globe sometime.

You mean you actually do something beyond set the autopilot and go to sleep? ;)

Most people have only one airplane, so whatever it is gets used for trips of all lengths. Tom Hicks frequently flew his G-V from Dallas to Austin for various events and Tom Galisano flew his from Rochester to Buffalo to the hockey games.
There's something to that, although it always surprises me to see what "short" trips I see so many pressurized aircraft on. Then again, my scale is probably calibrated a bit incorrectly.

The interesting part is that most of the time, pressurized is easier. Since a great deal of weather stops by the time you hit the flight levels, you can be in the clear when it's ugly below. On the other hand, you might have to get through that ugly weather both going up and down, and if it's bad up high, it's really bad. So it's one of those tricks where the flying itself is easier most of the time, but you have to have a different skill set to handle the potentially worse situations.

You mean you actually do something beyond set the autopilot and go to sleep? ;)

Most people have only one airplane, so whatever it is gets used for trips of all lengths. Tom Hicks frequently flew his G-V from Dallas to Austin for various events and Tom Galisano flew his from Rochester to Buffalo to the hockey games.

Agreed and understood - what I meant more was if I looked at a particular highly capable plane (421, King Air, etc.) I'm often surprised how the FlightAware tracks show flight times in the range of an hour or less consistently, with only the occasional trip that's more in line with the plane's range and capabilities.

I *think* some airlines send their captains to recurrent twice a year and F/O's once a year. I could be wrong though..

That is right with some of them. The last airline I flew with was this way. Captains 6 month and Fo's every 1

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

Back