Recs on working towards IFR

Etherscreen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Etherscreen
I am 45 and got my PP Cert 9 years ago. I did a few cross country flights and we got busy with kids so I hung up flying for awhile. I am interested in getting back into flying and working towards my IFR. I know I need 50 XC hours to get my IFR but I also need to get comfortable in the airplane again.

What is the best way to approach this scenerio? I wasn't very comfortable with my XC time so a little more XC with a CFI is what I am leaning towards. Also, where is a good list of Docs where I can get my medical? I live in the KC area.

I am 45 and got my PP Cert 9 years ago. I did a few cross country flights and we got busy with kids so I hung up flying for awhile. I am interested in getting back into flying and working towards my IFR. I know I need 50 XC hours to get my IFR but I also need to get comfortable in the airplane again.

What is the best way to approach this scenerio? I wasn't very comfortable with my XC time so a little more XC with a CFI is what I am leaning towards. Also, where is a good list of Docs where I can get my medical? I live in the KC area.

XC with a CFI at first is a great way to start. Once you're comfortable in the plane again some solo XC time is good as well. When I originally started my IR I was short XC time so the CFI who I was working with would have me plan IFR XC flights which we would then fly. KORL->KCRG->KGNV->KOCF->KORL we did multiple times. 4 1/2 hours of flying with 4 or so in foggles left me worn out I can tell you. But we were knocking out 2 requirements at a time and really, XC flying is what I'd use the IR for anyway. It's up to you & your CFI really.

John

Do a long XC with a CFI to get comfortable again then start planning some real VFR trips somewhere including some slip days so you’re never pushing weather too hard at first.

Have the CFI or other pilot friends on speed dial who’ll happily take a look at iffy weather with you if you’re out and about and are questioning the sanity of launching.

Won’t take long to get the hang of the mechanics of flying an XC. Where most private pilots fall down is weather planning. That doesn’t take a ton more time either but you do have to think about it as you wander further away than a few hundred nautical miles. Weather and fuel management.

After that gets comfy you’ll have the hours you need. Plan out the schedule with the CFI to minimize wasted hours if you’re on a tight budget.

Time wise, if you’re renting, might as well rent something slow. If you’re an owner, can fly at high economy cruise. No point in getting there faster if you’re time building. :)

Oh, and the weather decisions get harder with the IR, not easier. :) That’s why I say get out and see some weather safely. It’s one thing to see it on a weather map, it’s another to fly hundreds of miles to it in person.

Go the BasicMed route. You last medical was likely <10 years ago. Have a driver's license? Take the online course, see your regular doctor and boom! You're good for 48 months, with a repeat of the online course at 24 months.

Last edited:
Back