Recovering from surgery... prescribed gabapentin by PCP for pain management. Told surgeon and they said do not take. How will this affect my medical.

SACsky

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ewaf1009
I had surgery three weeks ago. My surgeon had me do a pre-op physical with my PCP and also said to have the PCP handle pain management after their allowed 1 week post op opioid. My PCP prescribed gabapentin and sent it to my pharmacy. In hospital my surgeon asked what my PCP prescribed and I informed them of the Gabapentin and that my spouse picked it up for when I was discharged. Surgeon said absolutely do not take and said they only wanted me on extra strength Tylenol if able as they were able to give me oxy for 1 week post op.

I immediately messaged my PCP and informed them I was not to take the gabapentin. However It is now on my prescription history and in my medical notes. All of which will show up when I send in my medical records that for sure the FAA will request due to the nature of my surgery (consulted AME prior to surgery to be prepared for when I apply for medical).

I never took the script so what should I do to remedy this being on my record? I can absolutely have my PCP document this. There is also a record of the email I sent stating the surgeon did not want me to take it.

I had surgery three weeks ago. My surgeon had me do a pre-op physical with my PCP and also said to have the PCP handle pain management after their allowed 1 week post op opioid. My PCP prescribed gabapentin and sent it to my pharmacy. In hospital my surgeon asked what my PCP prescribed and I informed them of the Gabapentin and that my spouse picked it up for when I was discharged. Surgeon said absolutely do not take and said they only wanted me on extra strength Tylenol if able as they were able to give me oxy for 1 week post op.

I immediately messaged my PCP and informed them I was not to take the gabapentin. However It is now on my prescription history and in my medical notes. All of which will show up when I send in my medical records that for sure the FAA will request due to the nature of my surgery (consulted AME prior to surgery to be prepared for when I apply for medical).

I never took the script so what should I do to remedy this being on my record? I can absolutely have my PCP document this. There is also a record of the email I sent stating the surgeon did not want me to take it.
1) It was prescribed for pain. No different than if he’d prescribed oxycodone, except for the fact that oxycodone is an actual, effective pain medicine.

2) what surgery did you have that the PCP thought gabapentin would take care of the pain and the surgeon thought Tylenol would do it?

This won't be much of an issue so long as it doesn't get renewed, and isn't for a gazillon pills.

Back