Recording Audio Communications in a Cessna 172?

ATL-Steve

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ATL-Steve
Hello all. Very low hour PPL student here. Only done 3 lessons. The day after every one of them I kept wishing I had recorded it so I could go over it a few times. I feel like, if I can record each lesson and review it each time, I'll be able to retain more from each lesson and be able to get my PPL in less hours. My instructor said it sounded like a good idea but I am on my own for figuring out how to do it.

I'll probably buy a GoPro to record the panel. Now I'm trying to figure out how best to get the audio portion of the lesson. I have identified a good recording device but I'm not sure how to connect it between my headset and the plane. The recording device has one mini adapter input(1/8" female). Obviously, the plane has 2 x 1/4" audio adapters - male.

Before I go buying a bunch of cable and adapters, does anyone have any advice about how to most efficiently record the comm audio?

If you don't have overall advice, can someone tell me what each of the comm jacks does? There's 2. So is one for the right ear and one for the left? One for tower comm and one for in-plane comm? One for in, one for out? I'm so confused!!!! :) Knowing that would at least help me figure out what adapters I need to hook up my recording device.

Thanks in advance.

Steve,

I use the gopro hero2 and record the audio using the mp3 audio cable. Here is an example. http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/1622

Here are some example of the quality of the audios recorded on the gopro hero2.

Also, you will need the skeleton case for the gopro hero2 so that you can connect the audio cable to the camera. Another options is to drill a hole into the waterproof case and use a dremmel tool with a 1/2" barrel sander to smooth the edges of your cut. Have the opening large enough to pass through your audio cable.

All the best,
Darren

Last edited:
I use GoPro Hero2 with skeleton case. I use the Barnstorm stereo cables. Lotta info found here

Thank you both.

For the benefit of others having a similar question in the future, my issue was that the headsets I use have TWO wires/plugs so when I saw others instructing on how to record audio and only showing one wire, I was getting confused. Turns out only one of the headset plugs is needed to record audio. I found that info on the StudentPilotCast link above.

The standard GA headset has two plugs; one for microphone audio (the smaller of the two) and one for panel audio to the headset (the 1/4 inch plug, or larger one). The headset mic plug has nothing to do with recording audio, so that can be ignored.

Again, thank you both for your replies.

Try this:
I assume you have an Ipod or something like it...take your earphones...

Put the earbuds inside your headset earcups and plug the jack into the "audio input" of your camera or other recording device. You are basically turning the speaker (resonance output) into a mike (resonance input). Everything you hear ( including tower, CFI and yourself) in your headset will be recorded...

Chris

Chris

Steve,

Does the 172 have headset jacks for the rear seat passengers? If so, plug into one of those and it will avoid the need for adapters at the jack where your headset is plugged in.

Darren mentioned one of the best options that I use frequently.

I have used several video cameras over the years and the GoPro Hero 2 is by far the most versatile one I've used.

You don't have to go out and buy any fancy cameras for video recording your flight.
You can use just about any camera and for sound just pick up a simple lapel mic at Radio Shack and drop the mic inside
your headset and Voila..There you have sound and video.

Here's a video I shot years ago using a Sony Digital Hi8 with a lapel mic.

Last edited:
I have a patch cord that I've used in the past with a voice only recorder, but I've also had good luck with just putting a lapel mic in the ear cup of my headset and plugging it in to my Drift HD camera.

http://youtu.be/kXsJTdHRsV8

Try this:
I assume you have an Ipod or something like it...take your earphones...

Put the earbuds inside your headset earcups and plug the jack into the "audio input" of....

No Ipod. Where's the embarrassment emoticon? :dunno:

Steve,

Does the 172 have headset jacks for the rear seat passengers? If so, plug into one of those and it will avoid the need for adapters at the jack where your headset is plugged in.

I thought about that but wasn't sure. I was also concerned that even if it did have jacks in the back, maybe they'd be turned down at the panel and I'd miss everything since I wouldn't be hearing exactly what's piping into the backseat jacks.

Darren mentioned one of the best options that I use frequently.

I have used several video cameras over the years and the GoPro Hero 2 is by far the most versatile one I've used.

You don't have to go out and buy any fancy cameras for video recording your flight.
You can use just about any camera and for sound just pick up a simple lapel mic at Radio Shack and drop the mic inside
your headset and Voila..There you have sound and video.

Yeah, had I waited to see people's responses I would probably go the lapel pin route. But I went ahead and ordered an audio-only recorder and some adapters to tie in directly between the headset and the jacks so I'll give that a shot first. I got everything I needed for under $80 so not financially devastating.

For the camera, those GoPro's look awesome but I have a nice small Sony camcorder so I'm gonna just use that for now. If I feel the need to upgrade to the GoPro later, I'll do that. I ordered a suction-cup mount for the Sony so hopefully that'll get me where I want to be.

Also, nice vid. Thanks for that.

I have a patch cord that I've used in the past with a voice only recorder, but I've also had good luck with just putting a lapel mic in the ear cup of my headset and plugging it in to my Drift HD camera.

Thank you for the info and vid. You should go on American Idol. :wink2:

If anyone happens to be interested in EXACTLY the set up I'm putting together, skip to 3:57 of this video.

For the camera, those GoPro's look awesome but I have a nice small Sony camcorder so I'm gonna just use that for now. If I feel the need to upgrade to the GoPro later, I'll do that. I ordered a suction-cup mount for the Sony so hopefully that'll get me where I want to be.

Also, nice vid. Thanks for that.
I love the night shot from 03:06-03:20

Looks like your camera is already a better option than the GoPro.
The GoPro does not shoot at a high enough frame rate to remove the window blinds effect caused by the prop and it's not a good camera for night shots.

I especially enjoyed this video that reminds me of the movie "One Six Right".

I love the night shot from 03:06-03:20

Looks like your camera is already a better option than the GoPro.
The GoPro does not shoot at a high enough frame rate to remove the window blinds effect caused by the prop and it's not a good camera for night shots.

I especially enjoyed this video that reminds me of the movie "One Six Right".

Just to clarify, that's not me in that video I referenced.

It's just a video I found in my search for how to record audio. That kid is a LOT younger and apparently a LOT smarter then me. :sad:

Steve,

I would see if you can borrow some VCR tapes or DVD's of any PPL training (I used King) and watch them at least once maybe twice. Also it helped me with radio work to buy a pocket radio and listen to ATC when i was on the ground. Helped my communications proficiency greatly. Finally using any of the MS or other flight simulator software was more help than you might imagine.

If you record video and audio seperatley, make sure that once you are in the plane you "count down" from 5 or so, both out loud, and counting on your fingers. This will let you synchronize the audio and video later when you combine them on your PC.

If you record video and audio seperatley, make sure that once you are in the plane you "count down" from 5 or so, both out loud, and counting on your fingers. This will let you synchronize the audio and video later when you combine them on your PC.

There's a reason the movie industry used clapper boards. ;)

One good handclap in view of all cameras that also reaches the soundtrack, makes sync later, easy.

Yeah, but it would be a bummer if the handclap didn't trigger the VOX on the headset. I've never recorded a flight (yet) so I have no idea if this would be an issue. Can you confirm? It would be a PITA to check the tape before TO.

Yeah, but it would be a bummer if the handclap didn't trigger the VOX on the headset. I've never recorded a flight (yet) so I have no idea if this would be an issue. Can you confirm? It would be a PITA to check the tape before TO.
The point is to have a visual cue as well as an audio cue so that you'll know where to sync the video and audio.
You can always speak into your mic at the moment that you clap your hands together (or whatever other visual cue you would prefer to use) with a sharp/short sound.
Or you can hold your hand in front of the camera and extend your fingers as you count up or down verbally.

My audio recorder has a Vu meter and my intercom has the ability to open the squelch completely.

Never had a problem yet.

All comes down to knowing your gear. Same thing as flying.

Back