Recommendations regarding dead AI

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
Our AI has crapped out. It is the original from 1977 with our Piper Lance. Despite pulling the backup suction and having a good reading on the suction level, it refuses to work. Going to the shop tomorrow. I DO believe our AP relies on it (do they all?). AP is also original (Century IIIc).

What should I expect to hear from the shop? Obviously what they say will be important, but would like some thoughts here too. Is is usually best to repair? Better to replace? If so, what are the options for replacement. We fly IFR frequently. Have seen the solid state ones. Are they an option in our situation?

Last edited:
the altimatic AP (century essentially) require both the DG and AI to be the types with the voltage sensors for AP input, which is of course the ones you have in your airplane mated to the AP. As such, your most cost effective route is to simply overhaul/exchange your current AI. Going a different route will render your AP inop and require a new AP installation. Stupid choice if your AP is working currently. Putting an Aspen in can work with these OEM altimatics but again, $$$.

Just overhaul the thing and burn money on avgas and flight time.

Thanks. Any idea on what to expect for overhaul cost?
Do they overhaul yours and return it or swap it out for a previously overhauled one? (Thinking about the time to get it back in. Trying to fly south next weekend.)

What's the difference in cost between an overhaul and new?

I have a bias toward buying new since I've seen more than one overhauled gryo bite the dust pretty quickly.

the altimatic AP (century essentially) require both the DG and AI to be the types with the voltage sensors for AP input, [snippage] Putting an Aspen in can work with these OEM altimatics but again, $$$.

Unless something has changed, the Aspen will only replace the HI for the Century IIIc. The vacuum driven AI is still required.

As Hindsight2020 says, just get it rebuilt by AQI or Rudy or similar shop.

Back