Recommendations Maui Flight Schools

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Getting married in June. Going to Maui for my honeymoon. Any recommendations for flight schools / aircraft rentals? Thanks in advance.

I rented a 172 from Maui Aviators (http://www.mauiaviators.com/) last year and had a pretty good experience. They spent some time on the ground with me marking up a sectional chart and discussing the various VFR procedures and reporting points applicable to Maui's area. They reviewed my logbook and wanted to know how much recent time and time in type I had. Then I went up with one of their instructors for a brief checkride. We did a steep turn, some landings to demonstrate that I could handle Maui's fairly extensive cross winds, and they signed me off to rent. Their 172s are well used, but serviceable. Lots of fun flying along the cliffs of Molakai, and we saw a number of whales also. We'll probably do it again this year.

It was interesting landing at Maui. The recommended landing speed for my airplane, a Bellanca Super Viking, is 90mph; the 172's landing speed is 65mph. Combined with the fairly significant headwind, my ground speed when landing was probably about half of the Bellanca's. It felt as if I weren't even moving...

I rented a 172 from Maui Aviators (http://www.mauiaviators.com/) last year and had a pretty good experience. They spent some time on the ground with me marking up a sectional chart and discussing the various VFR procedures and reporting points applicable to Maui's area. They reviewed my logbook and wanted to know how much recent time and time in type I had. Then I went up with one of their instructors for a brief checkride. We did a steep turn, some landings to demonstrate that I could handle Maui's fairly extensive cross winds, and they signed me off to rent. Their 172s are well used, but serviceable. Lots of fun flying along the cliffs of Molakai, and we saw a number of whales also. We'll probably do it again this year.

It was interesting landing at Maui. The recommended landing speed for my airplane, a Bellanca Super Viking, is 90mph; the 172's landing speed is 65mph. Combined with the fairly significant headwind, my ground speed when landing was probably about half of the Bellanca's. It felt as if I weren't even moving...

Thanks for info

Maui Aviators is GREAT! Quick checkout process. I went about two years ago during my Brothers Wedding, and I can only RAVE about how beautiful the Hawaiian islands are to personally fly around. Simply amazing. Aircraft are worn but are well maintained, but the biggest thing is make sure you have some experience in high wind landings (something I'm used to), and pay attention to their local area procedures....

Albeit it was really quick checkout since I am an active CFI in a 172S (which I rented).

It's been about 10 years since I flew with them, but I'll second the recommendation for Maui Aviators. Just take the CFI with you. They make great tour guides and can pronounce the reporting points on the radio. :D

Oh, and congratulations on the upcoming wedding and honeymoon.

Back