Recommendations for travel/medevac insurance

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
The wife and I are doing a motorcycle trip next year in Ireland. I recall an older thread where recommendations were given for medevac insurance. But I have had no luck in finding it. I know that many of you travel frequently internationally. Given the potential hazards associated with motorcycle trips does anybody have any recommendations

I can't say that I have done any comparisons, or ever used it,
but I have AOPA's EA+ (Emergency Assistance +). At the moment I don't even recall how much it costs, so it must not be too exorbitant and it seems to cover a lot.

I use Travel Insured. If you are USAA, go through the USAA site for a special portal for different deals. BTW, this also works for Renter's Insurance and Owned Aircraft. USAAA does not write these typs of insurance, but partner with other firms that do to provide a USAA like customer service, plus lower rates and different bundles.

You might also want to consider adding separate MedEvac insurance through MedJet. In 2014, my Mother had an issue in Halifax Canada. The med evac flight to get her back to DC was $29,000.

MedJet will medevac to your your hospital of choice, anywhere in the world, if you are admitted to the hospital anywhere more than 150 miles from your home. They have special programs for expats living in other countries.

There are multiple options out there. I have not used them, but have riding friend's that have. Do a search on ADVrider. There are multiple posts about medivac insurances on that site.
Something to know, most US based insurance will want any claims and all info in english. Including Medicare. Medicare will actually cover a lot of things if the paper work is done right and in English. I know that because I have a riding frend that broke his foot while on his 1190 in Italy. It was a hassle, but Medicare covered most of it. I don't know if he had a supplement or what kind.
Our supplement covers us internationally. But a medivac type extra plan might be nice.
Something else to know. In many places, its "show me the money" before any medical attention or assistance will be rendered.

Last edited:
try searching this https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/geos-medevac-vs-medjet-assist.1297930/page-4

Teh company I used to work for used SAS Medaire Thankfully I never had to use them, but it looked like a great plan. It includes security or legal help in foreign countries. I could have used that a few times. But I could have really used that before the company contracted with them. Some foreign jails are not country clubs!

Yeah, if you're lucky. USAA went completely bonkers on aviation coverage over a decade ago. It's one of the few things they do poorly. Of course, my recent auto claim experience indicates they aren't anywhere like the company they were 20 years ago.

Yeah, if you're lucky. USAA went completely bonkers on aviation coverage over a decade ago. It's one of the few things they do poorly. Of course, my recent auto claim experience indicates they aren't anywhere like the company they were 20 years ago.

What did they do?

How did they go completely bonkers on aviation coverage? Now, the partner with Falcon. Like they partner with Travel Insured for travel insurance.

Decades ago, USAA had an actual agency that would deal with various underwriters. Then they kind of closed that up and went exclusively with USAIG which was fine until USAIG went batty and started dropping customers based solely on the type of airplane without any rhyme or reason. After that, their vestigial agency just didn't have the ability to shop policies like a good broker and was unable to find a policy at the limits I needed. I had to go elsewhere because of their incompetence.

That may be why the just have a deal with Falcon, who has a group that just handles USAA customers for aviation insurance. Both renter's and owner.

At one time AVEMCO included MEDEX international travel medical assistance and medevac with each pleasure and business policy. No idea if that still exists or not.

Morgan, you want travel insurance, and you want to choose a one-trip deal that includes medical and evacuation. Lots of insurance companies, and rates depend on your age. Allianz is the biggest company, but like I said there are lots of companies. Try a comparison tool like squaremouth.com or travelinsurance.com

When we spent May in Spain and Portugal we used Allianz primarily for Covid protection. It covered hotel and airfare changes in case we tested positive and couldn’t get back home on schedule. We looked at medical but our medical insurance covers us internationally (Aetna) including transportation. The Allianz rep is who told me to check. She was very helpful.
https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/find-a-plan

FWIW, I was in Ireland a few years ago when one of my golf partners got sick and had to go to the ER in an ambulance. I rode along and stayed with him in the ER. The hospital treatment was better for an American than the locals. Customer service, at least. I asked a nurse about it. She said it was because the hospital gets paid for treating Americans. I thought the whole experience was very interesting.

Like any insurance, the BIG PRINT GIVETH, and small print taketh away. Do your good diligence.

I usually get Severn Corners. They're pretty reliable in taking payment on time and sending me my insurance documents via email (probably automated). That's the only experience I've had with them so far and I hope it will never go beyond that lol.

Global Rescue has a variety of memberships & is well respected. Thankfully, my family has had no experience testing their support, but there are many positive assistance examples.

For evac insurance, MedJet is one of the top ones. And if they evac you, you have a choice of destinations. Others will only take you to the nearest "suitable" medical facility.

Outside the US, medical costs can be pretty reasonable. I was recently hospitalized in Poland and the total bill for 3 days private room, all testing and treatment included, was about $1100.

My Mother had a serious medical issue in Halifax on a cruise. And the med evac to the DC area was $29,000 back in 2014.

Why is this better that MedJet? It looks about the same.

AirMed International is an actual Part 135 Air Carrier that owns it's own aircraft and conducts patient flights. You are getting coverage from the folks who actually do the flying and patient care. They do both CONUS and international operations. They are also the main DoD contractor for this type of service. https://airmed.com/About-Us.aspx

"With state-of-the-art medical jets and the most experienced and respected medical teams in the sky, AirMed is able to deliver on its mission of an uncompromised standard of care. AirMed owns and operates all aircraft, as well as employing its own dispatch, flight, and medical teams. This vertical integration ensures a seamless service and world-class care 24/7/365."

AirMed provides worldwide services from multiple bases strategically located across the globe. With accreditation from both CAMTS and EURAMI, AirMed is able to deliver a seamless transport experience to our customers regardless of location.

MedJet is a broker and they don't actually own or operate their own aircraft so they have a "network" of part 135 carriers that they call upon.

"[...] Medjet is an authorized Indirect Air Carrier (IAC) utilizing the services of licensed Part 135 air carriers to meet your air ambulance transportation needs. Medjet does not own, lease or operate any aircraft, and has no affiliation with any direct air carrier. As an IAC, Medjet contracts for the provision of air transportation services in its own name and coordinates the provision of medical services for your flight. All flights are operated by licensed direct air carriers."

AirMed International is an actual Part 135 Air Carrier that owns it's own aircraft and conducts patient flights. You are getting coverage from the folks who actually do the flying and patient care. They do both CONUS and international operations. They are also the main DoD contractor for this type of service. https://airmed.com/About-Us.aspx

"With state-of-the-art medical jets and the most experienced and respected medical teams in the sky, AirMed is able to deliver on its mission of an uncompromised standard of care. AirMed owns and operates all aircraft, as well as employing its own dispatch, flight, and medical teams. This vertical integration ensures a seamless service and world-class care 24/7/365."

AirMed provides worldwide services from multiple bases strategically located across the globe. With accreditation from both CAMTS and EURAMI, AirMed is able to deliver a seamless transport experience to our customers regardless of location.

MedJet is a broker and they don't actually own or operate their own aircraft so they have a "network" of part 135 carriers that they call upon.

"[...] Medjet is an authorized Indirect Air Carrier (IAC) utilizing the services of licensed Part 135 air carriers to meet your air ambulance transportation needs. Medjet does not own, lease or operate any aircraft, and has no affiliation with any direct air carrier. As an IAC, Medjet contracts for the provision of air transportation services in its own name and coordinates the provision of medical services for your flight. All flights are operated by licensed direct air carriers."
Looking at AirMed's website, I like their variety of options. Once into retirement, the 5 yr family plan looks good. I was thinking of international issues but the more I think about it, evacuating from a motorcycle or any other accident domestically would also cost $$$$. AirMed does seem to be the obvious choice.

Don’t mistake though. If you got in an accident you would be taken by ambulance or helicopter to that closest facility.

Fixed wing operations are typically used for long distance return or repatriation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I wonder which one is actually more responsive. Would AirMed contract if they did not have a plane available?

AirMed is part of GMR which is a huge medevac company. They have several Part 135 air ambulance certificates so they would "contract" with folks within their own organization.

Back