Recommendations for the Pacific Northwest

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
My checkride is in a month and I’m trying to think of cool places to take the wife if the weather actually holds out long enough for my checkride and I get my VFR ticket. Already planning to take her to Jefferson County for some pie this Friday, with my instructor in the front seat still. Also thinking Friday Harbor and Hoquiam will be good choices later on as I’ve already flown to both myself. But if anyone here in the upper left US has other recommendations I’m all ears. She’s a sucker for wineries and touristy towns if that helps. I’m currently flying out of Bremerton (kpwt) and will likely stick with renting from my school there for a while so that’s the start point.

Harvey Field, Snohomish with a nice downtown with antique shops and such within a short walk. Buzz Inn at the field.

Leavenworth WA is modeled after an alpine Bavarian village. Kitschy, but fun. Cashmere is the closest airport, Wenatchee a little further.

Sunriver Oregon is a great place for a fly-in weekend.

Don't miss the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum at Hood River Oregon. There are some nice places to stay in town right on the river.

Not much at Hoquiam anymore. But right around the corner at Westport,(always a crosswind?) it is a nice stroll into town and some great fish restaurants.

515abcd40df6727a37dd13d230ad6865.jpg

My checkride is in a month and I’m trying to think of cool places to take the wife if the weather actually holds out long enough for my checkride and I get my VFR ticket. Already planning to take her to Jefferson County for some pie this Friday, with my instructor in the front seat still. Also thinking Friday Harbor and Hoquiam will be good choices later on as I’ve already flown to both myself. But if anyone here in the upper left US has other recommendations I’m all ears. She’s a sucker for wineries and touristy towns if that helps. I’m currently flying out of Bremerton (kpwt) and will likely stick with renting from my school there for a while so that’s the start point.

Sisters, 6K5. Artsy touristy. Walking distance to town. They had bicycles to. Now isn’t a great time of year though but think about it next summer.

http://sistersairport.com/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...of_Sisters-Sisters_Central_Oregon_Oregon.html

Copalis

And just fly around the San Juan’s, lots of little airports. Jefferson in port Townsend is also nice, cool little cafe for pie and a museum on the field too

The flight to Walla Walla, if the pass is clear, is a great win for her. About 2 hours each way in a trainer, you can arrange a rental car there, or get an uber, rent a little B&B in town and do an overnight.

also, Bend, OR is 2 hours in a 172 for you as well. While not as much on the wine scene, it's a GREAT GA destination that people love ot visit and it turns your 7 hour drive into a 2 hour flight.

Oregon coast is good in fair weather too, there are a lot of towns with airstrips within a walk of the beach/town so you could make a day of it, or do an overnight. Be particularly mindful of fast changing weather on the coast though. it could close in with Haze/fog/clouds and you might get stuck

Oregon coast is good in fair weather too, there are a lot of towns with airstrips within a walk of the beach/town so you could make a day of it, or do an overnight. Be particularly mindful of fast changing weather on the coast though. it could close in with Haze/fog/clouds and you might get stuck
Amen on the changing weather there. In August of last year, I had a VFR forecast at North Bend, OR (OTH) turn out to be an ILS to minimums. :eek2:

The Mountain Loop -- Arlington (AWO) --> Darrington (1S2) --> Concrete (3W5) --> Skagit (BVS). Follow the valleys.
There is a restaurant just off the Darrington airport.
Skagit has an onfield restaurant.

If you do the Olympic Loop land at Quillayute (UIL). It has a kind of spooky, Langoliers kind of vibe.
From Friday Harbor airport you can walk to town. Unfortunately, I believe Ernie's (onfield) has closed.
Roche Harbor has Lime Kiln State Park and a restaurant within walking distance.

Lots of great options I hadn't even considered. Thank you to everyone for giving me some ideas to look into. A mountain loop sounds real interesting as does every other recommendation. I think a beach landing would be awesome but will have to make sure the wife is comfortable with my flying before I attempt it and also verify that its not against any rental agreements I sign when I rent the plane. I really hope the weather on Friday is good so I can head up to Port Townsend/Jefferson County. That is the location of my checkride so I want to get familiar with the airport prior to the checkride and get the required signature in my logbook to land there solo but bringing the wife along for a slice of pie seems like a great way to show her our money isn't being spent on nothing.

As planned, we went to Jefferson County on Friday with my instructor in the right seat. As I’m close to my checkride he was mostly playing the role of passenger and gave minimal advice as we flew. I’m sure it was tough for him to keep quiet but it was a good flight and the pie was amazing. We actually got more pie to go and gave a slice to the girl back at the school working the front desk. My wife enjoyed the flight mostly. Didn’t care too much for the small bumps about halfway to Jeffco but otherwise the flight itself was good. She continues to be a low wing hater so I’ll likely get checked out in the Cessna after my checkride so she can see below a bit better.

Tillamook and take the crew car to the Cheese Factory! (Museum there is awesome, too)

Then up to Nehalem Bay and walk over to the beach. Then realize you’ll want to go camping there too someday!

From Bremerton right across the sound to Friday Harbor!

While tempting to jump right into the mountain flying with her, I’d suggest that a shorter flight in very smooth air is the best way to introduce the spouse to small planes. Not to mention, do a couple solo flights after the ticket before you take her.

Enjoy! I was very careful how introduced my wife to flying and made sure early, smooth and high were key attributes and now she really enjoys it.

Last edited:
Tillamook and take the crew car to the Cheese Factory! (Museum there is awesome, too)

Then up to Nehalem Bay and walk over to the beach. Then realize you’ll want to go camping there too someday!
Thanks, that definitely looks like it could be a future flight after we've had some shorter ones.

From Bremerton right across the sound to Friday Harbor!

While tempting to jump right into the mountain flying with her, I’d suggest that a shorter flight in very smooth air is the best way to introduce the spouse to small planes. Not to mention, do a couple solo flights after the ticket before you take her.

Enjoy! I was very careful how introduced my wife to flying and made sure early, smooth and high we’re key attributes and now she really enjoys it.
Friday Harbor is already one of the top ideas I have since I've flown there with my instructor when prepping for my xc flights. Looks like a real nice place with easy access to fun things within walking distance of the airport. And as a bonus, we can do it all in half a day with time for shopping and possibly lunch depending on how fast service is.

Couer D' Alene, Crater Lake - assuming the PNW is WA, OR, ID

Salishan Resort, Gleneden Beach, OR for a weekend in the spring/summer.
They will pick you up at Siletz Bay State Airport (S45), just on the south side of their golf course.
https://www.salishan.com/

Back