Recommendations for airfields near lakes or beaches

kujo806

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kujo806
I am looking for a hard surface field to fly into and be able to easily get to recreational activities on a lake or hiking, etc. I'd be interested in the central US maybe 600nm radius from Chicago. Years back I found it very cool to fly over to Unionville (K43) and have a paved runway next to a beach and lake. Any similar setups would be fun to check out.

Proximity to the activities or easy transportation options are key. I have seen some quiet country fields in the general vicinity of a lake, but I don't know how I would get my family there after landing.

Smith Mountain Lake W91 in SW Virginia is within 600nm of Chicago. Also has a really nice BnB on the field that has tie down space: Bedford Landings. State park is next door. Lots of outdoor activities in the general area.

I've stayed at Bedford landings but not flown in. Jack and Karen are fantastic hosts.

K15 Lake of the Ozarks…plenty of places to choose from and you can get a pickup from the airport, or taxi/ride share. Lots of Door County options. Grand Geneva resort will send a tram to the airport to pick you up. Mackinaw Island also an option.

Petit Jean in Arkansas

Kentucky Dam State resort park, Rough River State resort park, both in KY

Chetek, WI - Y23
Some good restaurants in walking distance, lake right across the street. Tons of cabin rentals at the resorts. Nice little town. They have a pretty active pilot community and a crew car/bikes to borrow at the airport (at least the did). There is a park connected with tables to picnic at and grills to use if you bring your own charcoal too. It's paved and 3400' long in good shape. Loved growing up and flew out of there tons, usually on the grass though.

Put-in-bay would be another good one I've heard of. On and island on Lake Erie with a bunch of things to do. Never been there myself though.

Kelleys Island and Put in Bay Island in Lake Erie. Put in Bay has gold carts and a bus service, Kelleys Island has a. taxi service. Lots of water and beaches at both.

It's a little out of your range but Jekyll Island (09J) is highly recommended.

KMCD Mackinac Island, Beaver Island, 4R5 Madeline Island, Sky Harbor Duluth KDYT, KMGN Harbor Springs (watch the wind shear when they’re out of the NW or N ;))

Almost all of the small fields from my youth within walking distance of Lake Michigan are gone now, the land is just too valuable. On Lake Kentucky there is Pirates Cove. It is a quasi flyin community, get permission, or Houston County. Grand Haven is close-ish, same for Luddington. Lakefield in Celina, Oh is another good one, but take a bike, no services, no Uber, etc.

It’s mentioned above but KDYT Duluth Sky Harbor has a beach right at the ramp. Can get into the water faster than you can get into the FBO.

Back