Recommendations around Orlando

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Will be going to Orlando for a business conference in November. Will want to fly one evening to relax. Any recommendations for schools?

There is a small school at Apopka airport. I havent flown there yet but it seems easy and straight fwd to get signed up and checked out. Cheapest around too.

Will be going to Orlando for a business conference in November. Will want to fly one evening to relax. Any recommendations for schools?

There are schools at Kissimmee KISM, Orlando International (KMCO), Orlando Executive (KORL), Sanford (KSFB) and Apopka (X04).

Depends on where you are.

I'm Cased out of KORL. PM and you could fly with me if you want.

John
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Go over to kism and take a ride in an AT6,great ride you get to fly,and log the time. The instructor does the takeoff and landing.

Go over to kism and take a ride in an AT6,great ride you get to fly,and log the time. The instructor does the takeoff and landing.

I think they have a weight limit. I'll have to call them.

Can't you get a ride in a P-51 there as well? What a dream that would be.

The ride in the p51 is quite expensive.

The P51 ride is expensive, $3k plus ...

But even if you don't take the ride, while you are in town call by Stallion 51, based at KISM, they are real nice folk and will welcome you to take a walk around the hanger to see their P51's and L39 jet.

You can also rent from Sunstate Aviation on the field, good operation with a well maintained late model fleet

I just got back from a business conference in Orlando. I did KISM back in January, and was not impressed with it. Great if you're a jet, but alas, they're not a very prop-friendly airport.

This time around I went into Winter Haven - KGIF, and it was a great experience. Stayed there for a week, no ramp fees with fuel, on-site Enterprise, and the terminal was gorgeous. Onsite restaurant, as well, but I didn't try it. Only complaint was that I shot the RNAV approach for 11 at night in IMC and popped out just above circling minimums (lucky) with CB's around and the damn runway wasn't lit... had to circle around to 5. Found out later they only have lights on 5/23, not on 11/29. Would be nice if they just notam'd the 5/23 approach NA at night.

Other than that snafu, would go back to KGIF in a heartbeat!

I just got back from a business conference in Orlando. I did KISM back in January, and was not impressed with it. Great if you're a jet, but alas, they're not a very prop-friendly airport.

This time around I went into Winter Haven - KGIF, and it was a great experience. Stayed there for a week, no ramp fees with fuel, on-site Enterprise, and the terminal was gorgeous. Onsite restaurant, as well, but I didn't try it. Only complaint was that I shot the RNAV approach for 11 at night in IMC and popped out just above circling minimums (lucky) with CB's around and the damn runway wasn't lit... had to circle around to 5. Found out later they only have lights on 5/23, not on 11/29. Would be nice if they just notam'd the 5/23 approach NA at night.

Other than that snafu, would go back to KGIF in a heartbeat!

I've been into KISM and used the Ranger Jet Center. They took excellent care of me. Cheap hangar space and a discount for showing my Sun n Fun passes. They called Avis and had the rental car brought to the FBO and let me go out on the ramp to load up the car.

!

Your observations about KISM surprise me, I fly in quite often and have never had a bad experience from ATC, Although I have to admit I don't go over to the terminal my visits are to other places on the field.

As for KGIF I couldn't agree more it's a very friendly and accommodating place, it's one of my home fields when I'm at my home in Florida, the other GA friendly feild is just 6 miles south of GIF .....Bartow KBOW class Delta Monday to Friday with friendly Tower guys and friendly FBO where you can also rent a couple of 172's from

Flew out of KISM today. Left the plane for 4 days at the Kissimmee Jet center. Very friendly staff, cheap gas, and GA friendly. No issues at all and I'll be back.

I've been into KISM and used the Ranger Jet Center. They took excellent care of me. Cheap hangar space and a discount for showing my Sun n Fun passes. They called Avis and had the rental car brought to the FBO and let me go out on the ramp to load up the car.

Interesting comments. Let me elaborate on my experience:

First of all, on topic, ATC at KISM was fantastic.

Here is a visual to show my descriptions:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...2!3m1!1s0x88dd83ec3babdf47:0x1de2ecb23f339672

I went into Ranger Jet Center. The line guy was a friendly guy. Marshalled us into a spot in the bottom right parking area to tie down... then disappeared. I hiked over to the building to see if they would allow our ride to drive out to us so we could load luggage. Nope. Against security policy. Funny... there was a jet loading up on the closer ramp and the limo pulled right up to it. So, I had to hike it back out to the plane to tell the wife and kids to grab their stuff and lug it over to the parking lot. We secured the plane and grabbed all of our crap. Then, while walking with all of our crap back to the building so we could load it into the car, a different jet was loading/unloading up right by the entry walkway to the ramp. The line guys proceeded to make us wait, with all of our crap, behind the jet until it was fully loaded or unloaded with it's high-value occupants. Once it moved on, we were allowed to proceed. Not so much as an apology, a hello, or a screw you. Oh wait, I was asked how much fuel I would need. I told them to top it off to eliminate the ramp fee.

From there, when we returned, again I asked if we could pull out to the plane to load it up. Nope, not allowed. While the wife and kids lugged out to to the plane, I payed the bill. Fuel PLUS ramp fee. Hey, can't you guys waive that since I topped off? Nope. You were a few gallons short of our minimum. (which isn't even posted!) Can you make an exception? I didn't even need the fuel. I just like fuel instead of ramp fees. Nope. Sorry. So I paid a premium for fuel to avoid a ramp fee and still got the ramp fee.

So, out of all of the FBO's I've ever been to, if I had to sum it all up, I'd call Ranger a "Signature wannabe". Wannabe in the way I got the feeling that if it didn't run Jet-A, they didn't care about you, but was just not quite there because they didn't have the marble floors, cucumber water, and gorgeous women in heels behind the counter.

Maybe I caught them on a bad day? Perhaps. But, I just know after that experience in January, I flew to a further airport (KGIF) this time around and had a fantastic experience.

Thanks for the comments, but we have gone off topic for my post. To clarify, I'm not flying in there. I'm looking for a place to rent with a CFI to fly around locally.

I did call the warbird place. They said they would get back to me. Any suggestions for other places, i.e. Names? I'm looking for PIREPS of places - specifically opinions on planes to rent and how friendly is staff.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments, but we have gone off topic for my post. To clarify, I'm not flying in there. I'm looking for a place to rent with a CFI to fly around locally.

I did call the warbird place. They said they would get back to me. Any suggestions for other places, i.e. Names? I'm looking for PIREPS of places - specifically opinions on planes to rent and how friendly is staff.

Thanks

Here are the ones I have personal experience of.

www.propellerheadaviation.com - based out of KGIF
www.sunstateaviation.com - based out of KISM
www.Tailwheelsetc.com - based out of KLAL
www.bartow-airport.com - based out of KBOW
(Bartow Flying Services)

All the above very friendly operations with good planes ranging from older 150s & 172s to late model 172SP with G1000

All within a short drive of Orlando or downtown Kissimmee

Even if you don't fly the P-51 at Stallion 51, there are a lot of warbirds on the field. A good place to wander around. KISM

Flight Training Professionals at KORL has top notch Nav III 172s. You can do a low approach at the Shuttle landing facility easily from Orlando.

Out of curiosity I sent an information request for the P-51 flights (emphasis theirs):

The current cost for the One-hour Orientation Flight is $3,350.00 and $2,550.00 for the Half-hour Orientation Flight.

We have a state of the art digital video system installed with cameras to record yourflight. The package includes a pre-flight briefing; aircraft walk around, cockpit briefing, de-briefing, an 8X10 photo, flight certificate and also a digital video of your flight at no charge to you. You will be encouraged to fly the Mustang over 90% of the time and no previous flight experience or aviation background is required.

By order of preference, Stallion 51 accepts checks, cash, and traveler’s checks, Money Orders, Visa and MasterCard; payment is due at the time of flight. Flights are normally scheduled Monday through Friday scheduled at 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. With scheduling, it is strongly recommended you book your flight at least 2 to 3 weeks in advance.

--------

I'll tell you what, for $3350 .... well ... it's about a month's salary. I can go without food for a month. I mean, if it's just a ride-along, then no. But this is stick time. In a P-51. If nothing else it'll look great in the logbook.

Space Coast Aviation based out of Titusville is a great little school, Tom and Buck are the owners and are great guys. I recommend flying with David, he's a good pilot and is very knowledgeable about the area. You can fly over NASA (VAB and the shuttle runway), the beaches, the cruise ship terminal, and the St Johns River all in one flight. If you fly on the weekend you might be lucky enough to share the pattern with one of the warbirds from the museum right on the taxiway.

Out of curiosity I sent an information request for the P-51 flights (emphasis theirs):

The current cost for the One-hour Orientation Flight is $3,350.00 and $2,550.00 for the Half-hour Orientation Flight.

That's really not bad considering what it costs to operate those airplanes. I got an hour of dual in Crazy Horse about 12 years ago and I think it was $2800 even back then.

I am also going to Orlando this November and figured I'll tag on here rather than start my own thread. I was thinking of taking my mom, step-dad, step-brother (and a CFI) for a flight. I have my SEL private, but figured rather than get a check out I won't need again, I'll just pay an instructor to come along with my family.

However, this means there will be five of us. Any recommendations for six seat rentals? I see there are some Seneca's and paying for multi time would be fine, but if there are single six seaters around, I would rather do that.

I am also going to Orlando this November and figured I'll tag on here rather than start my own thread. I was thinking of taking my mom, step-dad, step-brother (and a CFI) for a flight. I have my SEL private, but figured rather than get a check out I won't need again, I'll just pay an instructor to come along with my family.

However, this means there will be five of us. Any recommendations for six seat rentals? I see there are some Seneca's and paying for multi time would be fine, but if there are single six seaters around, I would rather do that.

What? You didn't want to start your own thread? Afraid of the wrath of some jerks on here? :mad2: :mad: :nono: Just kidding.... :D

Flew out of KISM today. Left the plane for 4 days at the Kissimmee Jet center. Very friendly staff, cheap gas, and GA friendly. No issues at all and I'll be back.

They are the 'guy in a quonset at the other end of the field' FBO. Very friendly but not much in terms of facilities.

I have had a great experience with Ranger. Rental car at the plane, a way to tie down (along a cable) and friendly service. Not as snazzy a facility as Landmark, Atlantic or Signature. Sort of in between.

Never been to Signature. They wouldn't tell me what their fees would be for the stay and what minimum fuel it would take to waive them.

Just checked on airnav. It looks like Ranger changed their name to Quantem.

None of this of course has anything to do with the OPs question about checking out an aircraft :wink2:

Back