Recommendation for flying school around Austin TX??

Nestandback

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NickFly
So far I have a few options from friends that have PPL, they have recommended all at once 14 day fast track school around $20k prepaid. is there any other option??

It's not like we're asking for your street address. What side of town you're on makes a difference on which direction I'd recommend.

It's not like we're asking for your street address. What side of town you're on makes a difference on which direction I'd recommend.
dead center. It makes no difference to me what direction. There are plenty of schools to choose from . I have google it but I want some hands on experience, reviews , do's and don'ts from pilots who went through their training. the ones I have found are in Georgetown. Do you have any recommendation??

I would not under any circumstances prepay for flight training. Too many have been burned. Flight schools come and go. What if you get started and have problems with instructor, aircraft availability, whatever?

I would not under any circumstances prepay for flight training. Too many have been burned. Flight schools come and go. What if you get started and have problems with instructor, aircraft availability, whatever?
Thank you!

do you recommend any school ?. For ground school I'm between gold seal and kings. I'm also half way with AFH and PHAK.

umm no, first don’t race this to finish, even with a PPL you need to know this is a license to learn and you can easily kill yourself if you don’t have personal minimums above the legal standards.

Take your time and a PPL can be earned with a pay as you go in the 8-12k range. Get your medical (provided no medical, drug, DUI history) and do the written.

I'd probably lean towards GTU, but if you could find a place you were happy with in someplace like Lockhart, with an older instructor not likely to hop to the airlines, I'd go that direction. Take some time to explore some of the smaller airports around you. Also, don't prepay. Pay as you go, or only pay what you're willing for someone to abscond with. I've broken that rule recently, but it was for a 10 hour multi deal that I was doing in an expedited fashion.
PPL you need to know this is a license to learn and you can easily kill yourself if you don’t have personal minimums above the legal standards.

Take your time and a PPL can be earned with a pay as you

I'd probably lean towards GTU, but if you could find a place you were happy with in someplace like Lockhart, with an older instructor not likely to hop to the airlines, I'd go that direction. Take some time to explore some of the smaller airports around you. Also, don't prepay. Pay as you go, or only pay what you're willing for someone to abscond with. I've broken that rule recently, but it was for a 10 hour multi deal that I was doing in an expedited fashion.
How did your multi go?

If you don't get a strong recommendation I'd suggest visiting each local school and having a conversation with the CFI who would be teaching you. For me, the style and personality of the CFI was about 2/3 of the decision process. There were other CFI's at my flight school that would not been as effective for me.

My flight school was Part 61 but followed the strict procedures of a Part 141. I prefer a well structured syllabus and a CFI who's a stickler for following best practices.

I was taught ground and then immediately flew to emphasize each lesson. The courseware offered written and pre-recorded videos along with the instructor-led classroom experience. I used to own training centers for complicated software and always believed that different people learn differently. Having the same lesson material provided live, written, and recorded was excellent for me.

Never pay the entire fee upfront. Never. I would deposit $1,000-$2,000 in advance. Except for fast-track courses.

I prefer to learn at a slower pace; a fast-track course would not suit me, but that's a personal choice.

If you don't get a strong recommendation I'd suggest visiting each local school and having a conversation with the CFI who would be teaching you. For me, the style and personality of the CFI was about 2/3 of the decision process. There were other CFI's at my flight school that would not been as effective for me.

My flight school was Part 61 but followed the strict procedures of a Part 141. I prefer a well structured syllabus and a CFI who's a stickler for following best practices.

I was taught ground and then immediately flew to emphasize each lesson. The courseware offered written and pre-recorded videos along with the instructor-led classroom experience. I used to own training centers for complicated software and always believed that different people learn differently. Having the same lesson material provided live, written, and recorded was excellent for me.

Never pay the entire fee upfront. Never. I would deposit $1,000-$2,000 in advance. Except for fast-track courses.

I prefer to learn at a slower pace; a fast-track course would not suit me, but that's a personal choice.
Well said.

I’m going to go a little out of the line by saying flight schools are like politics, red or blue or a mixture of the two. You need to find what works for you.

You have the new modern big $$, usually with the 250hr instructors who turnover faster than a drive thru MCD, in and out. In my experience they like to overcharge like a Signature FBO.

You have the older clubs that hey sit back chill it’s a social club, no no no you do it this way based on my experience which is opposite of what you read in your ground materials. Some communication issues as the folk as generally older vs younger guys.

But you really need to find an instructor that you think will stick around for you to finish, and that you have a good trusting communication together, that’s key. Then comes aircraft mx and availability which is pretty seasonal depending where you are. Don’t be afraid to try a few different schools out, log your hours. Starting out you’ll typically learn slow flight, turns, rudder usage and the basics.

Well said.

I’m going to go a little out of the line by saying flight schools are like politics, red or blue or a mixture of the two. You need to find what works for you.

You have the new modern big $$, usually with the 250hr instructors who turnover faster than a drive thru MCD, in and out. In my experience they like to overcharge like a Signature FBO.

You have the older clubs that hey sit back chill it’s a social club, no no no you do it this way based on my experience which is opposite of what you read in your ground materials. Some communication issues as the folk as generally older vs younger guys.

But you really need to find an instructor that you think will stick around for you to finish, and that you have a good trusting communication together, that’s key. Then comes aircraft mx and availability which is pretty seasonal depending where you are. Don’t be afraid to try a few different schools out, log your hours. Starting out you’ll typically learn slow flight, turns, rudder usage and the basics.
Thank you.

Thank you!!

Back