Recommendation for Finishing Up Instrument Rating Training

Solamente

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Solamente
Am a private pilot (since 2010) with 350 hours and just passed my Instrument Rating Airplane test. I have way more than 50 hours cross country as PIC, but need to finish up the balance of the requirements. Any suggestions/personal experiences as to the best way to accomplish my goal by the end of this year or sooner?

Well, if you really want to get it done sooner, Professional Instrument Courses offers a 10-day "get 'er done" option.
http://www.iflyifr.com
And if you're lucky, they'll send me to be your instructor. ;)

What else are you lacking? If you are looking at your hood/weather time I would not worry about that as you will use up most if not all of that time with your instructor. Heck, even if you were short on your cross country time that can often be incorporated into instrument training.
PIC that Ron works for is a good operation that can help. You might have someone local who can do the same thing but make sure you do some research. Some of the quick instrument programs I've seen just have you fly the same three approaches over and over until you get it, then you do the same three approaches for your check ride. Hardly preparation for real world instrument flying.

Also, if you have a good bit of IR training already, PIC will tailor a shorter "finish-up" course to your situation. 800-I-FLY-IFR, and talk to Donn for more.

My father is going to try one of those accelerated IFR training courses. 40 hours of IFR flying in 10 days. He took the written test today.

I get to be one of Ron's "lucky" pilots starting March 20. :D :D Gonna be a get out of Denton event too, basing ourselves at Amelia's down in Port A. (gotta ask if Henning Style foot attire, or lack of, is permitted)

Solamente, do call Donn H @ PIC HQ. He does a good job explaining how it all works.

I'd love to get into a an ifr course just not ready yet need to enjoy my vfr certificate first lol need some flying this year..

I will echo Ron's recommendation for PIC and I am one of their students rather than an employee. PIC is nominally ten days, but they'll give you credit on the fee if you finish ahead of time if you have prior experience. I got a couple of days off for good behavior.

I get to be one of Ron's "lucky" pilots starting March 20. :D :D Gonna be a get out of Denton event too, basing ourselves at Amelia's down in Port A. (gotta ask if Henning Style foot attire, or lack of, is permitted)
Up to you, but I can think of a number of comfort and safety reasons not to go barefoot on the ramp and in the plane. As for sandals/flip-flops on your feet, that won't bother me a bit, but by PIC rules, I will be "neatly attired" (which isn't as formal as it used to be). ;)

I will echo Ron's recommendation for PIC and I am one of their students rather than an employee. PIC is nominally ten days, but they'll give you credit on the fee if you finish ahead of time if you have prior experience. I got a couple of days off for good behavior.
The fee is a daily rate, so even without prior experience, if you're good enough to accelerate through the program, you get the unused days' money back at the end.

As for sandals/flip-flops on your feet, that won't bother me a bit, but by PIC rules, I will be "neatly attired" (which isn't as formal as it used to be). ;)

bunnyslippers.jpg

Think Chris Knight wardrobe styling...

Up to you, but I can think of a number of comfort and safety reasons not to go barefoot on the ramp and in the plane. As for sandals/flip-flops on your feet, that won't bother me a bit, but by PIC rules, I will be "neatly attired" (which isn't as formal as it used to be). ;)

Just make sure you wash your feet.....:D

Thanks to each of you for your great advice. After visiting the PIC website, I received a call from Donn and am planning to call him shortly.

Back