Recommend some good books on weather.

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
Since I am an engineer i like to have a technical understanding of everything, which means I hate memorizing (which hurts more than it helps in many situations). I am looking for a book that can help me understand aviation weather without having too many silly mnemonics or other tricks for remembering weather phenomena. I came across this book while browsing.

Does anyone around here have any recommended books on this topic??

Thanks!

I can only make one recommentation:

Do not but Aviation Weather by Jeppesen. It was wrong, it was full of incorrect information, and it was purely, hands down, written by someone who doesn't understand weather.

I'm reading "Understanding the Sky" by Dennis Pagen right now.

Pretty good so far

I have that one. It's not bad but not as impressive as I hoped when I shelled out for it.

The Jepp book aviation weather is another that's pretty good but like most Jepp books the "information density" is a bit low and the price is a bit high.

One that Scott Dennstaedt recommended: Weather Forecasting Handbook by Tim Vasquez is very technical, hard to read, and full of very good information. Be careful what you ask for.

Joe

I can only make one recommentation:

Do not but Aviation Weather by Jeppesen. It was wrong, it was full of incorrect information, and it was purely, hands down, written by someone who doesn't understand weather.
Nick,

That's the first time I've heard that. Do you have any specifics?

Joe

I always enjoyed the Aviation Weather book. you don't need to become a meteorologist, and I thought that the FAA book did a fine job of explaining the basics with good illustrations that even a pilot could understand.

Understanding weather first requires that you can visualize the weather, and that is the part that we all really struggle with.

Nick,

That's the first time I've heard that. Do you have any specifics?

Joe

Wait until I get home tonight. I'll pull out the book and find examples of great weather knowledge like the safest part of the thunderstorm to penetrate is right under under the anvil top.

Its not that bad, but its bad enough. I'll find stuff...

Note that this is not the "Aviation Weather" by Jeppesen that Nick was complaining about!

Ahhh...didn't realize they were different!

I think the FAA version is fine, but I'm no weather expert, either.

Trapper John

p.s. I always liked Dick Collins' weather articles in Flying. I suppose they're available in book form somewhere...

Along with the FAA's Aviation Weather (AC 00-06A) to learn about the weather itself, you might also want Aviation Weather Services (AC 00-45F) to learn about interpreting weather reports, forecasts, and charts. Plenty cheap, plenty practical.

lots of good responses, thanks. I probably should have clarified that i wont be doing any real weather flying since i will only be getting VFR certified (though who knows what the future holds). Should i still know what's in those books for VFR flying?

I have a copy of C. Donald Ahrens' "Meteorology Today -- An Introduction to Weather, Climate, and the Environment -- Sixth Edition".

I purchased it after attending one of Scott D's seminars. I forget where I picked it up--but it's a great book. Read the reviews on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Meteorology-Today-Introduction-Environment-InfoTrac/dp/0534397719

The Preface says it "is written for college-level students taking an introductory course on the atmospheric environment. The main purpose of the text is to convey meteorological concepts in a visual and practical manner, while simultaneously providing students with a comprehensive background in basic meteorology."

I think it does that quite well.

Back