recommend ifr gps for the following eq...

comancheflyer30

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dsc45shooter
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a cheap way to add an ifr approach gps with the following equipment. Id like to reuse as much as I can to save money and lower the cost of install.

kx155 with g/s to a ki 209
kx165 to a ki 202
stec 50 slaved to dg and ki 209....do not have a gpss roll steer converter installed

I will be removing a king adf and putting the gps in its place. Could pull one of the king nav/comms and sell it if needed.

Can I reuse either indicator with a garmin 430 (non waas) if I add an annunciator? If not, would a GI 206 connect with the stec 50 already connected to the ki 209?

What about sticking with a kln 89b, 90, or 94? Im pretty sure I can mate them up with the ki 202 so the stec 50 connection is not disturbed, right?

any ideas on a cheap setup that still allows me to keep the stec 50 connected would be appreciated. I can do the roll steering later.

You need the KI209A if you want to mate it to a GPS.

I just put a used GX50 in my Twin Bo for around $2k total, though I did virtually all of the install work myself, with my A&P/IA inspecting and handling the FSDO paperwork to get the AFMS approved. Happy to discuss the project if you like. A stand-alone GPS, with no NAV or COM, is actually a relatively simple thing to install. Even easier if you get one that can use an indicator/annunciator combo so that no switching is needed.

You need the KI209A if you want to mate it to a GPS.

I just put a used GX50 in my Twin Bo for around $2k total, though I did virtually all of the install work myself, with my A&P/IA inspecting and handling the FSDO paperwork to get the AFMS approved. Happy to discuss the project if you like. A stand-alone GPS, with no NAV or COM, is actually a relatively simple thing to install. Even easier if you get one that can use an indicator/annunciator combo so that no switching is needed.

I'm just finishing the paperwork for my GX55 IFR install. Would be happy to hear your experiences with the paperwork. (I've got the AFMS all done based on the template, and I have the annunciator/CDI required in the installation manual).

I'm just finishing the paperwork for my GX55 IFR install. Would be happy to hear your experiences with the paperwork. (I've got the AFMS all done based on the template, and I have the annunciator/CDI required in the installation manual).

I'll pass them along as soon as I know the results. I literally finished my install over the weekend. My A&P signed it off and has the 337s in his hands. Not sure if he's submitted to the FSDO just yet.

I bought a kln 90b and a matching annunciator all for under $600. Shop quoted me around 3500 for install. Not bad considering ifr approach capable purchase and install for less than the purchase of a g430.

You can use both indicators with a GNS430. If you go with a KLN 89/94, you in fact need to replace the KI209 indicator with a KI209A. Cheapest option would be to keep both the KI209 and KI202 indicators and connect the KLN89/94 to the KI202. You than lack the advisory vertical guidance as well as well as the option to let the autopilot follow the GPS track.

I bought a kln 90b and a matching annunciator all for under $600. Shop quoted me around 3500 for install. Not bad considering ifr approach capable purchase and install for less than the purchase of a g430.

Keep in mind that the 90b has some database size issues, and it's also somewhat difficult to do database updates on (the remote dataports don't work well, and you have to remove the unit to access the datacard. Just make sure you understand those issues before you spend $3500 on labor. FWIW, $3500 in labor does seem pretty high to me, given how simple that unit should be to install. That's roughly 35 hours of labor. I'd expect that amount to install a 430 or 430W, but those are much more complex and interface with the audio panel.

I'll second the 89B value, BUT my display is about shot (second one in nearly 20 years) and was told new displays were not being built by one shop, and another said Bendix/King shows displays on 'backorder' until possibly April. Buying a KLN94 for a slide in replacement was discouraged b/c they do not even make display replacements for that model. BTW, does anyone have experience with Bennett Avionics in Conn? Have no experience with them. They are the ones that said displays are back-ordered, and will install when available. Bevan Rabell said no more... which have had very good experience with other work.

I received the 90b and noticed the direct to button has lost some of its rebound after pressing. Anyone ever buy a replacement switch and solder it in place? I had intended to update the data card/box online with a cable. Hopefully it will work

I had a KLN 94 for many years. It did the job well although not a fancy screen. I moved up to WAAS but I still think the 94 was a great piece of equipment. Screen can be a problem so guard against that as best you can.

I received the 90b and noticed the direct to button has lost some of its rebound after pressing. Anyone ever buy a replacement switch and solder it in place? I had intended to update the data card/box online with a cable. Hopefully it will work

Check the manual. In order for the remote data port to work the unit may need a software update and chip. :yes: Don't ask me how I know..:goofy:

Personally, I would drop a little more coin on this project. I would rather spend the money making my plane avionics one generation old (GNS430W) than two or three gens old. Those Garmin 50/55/60 boxes are glorified boat anchors, as are the BendixKing 89/99/94s. With all due respect to those who fly behind them, of course. The only people who think putting in a Garmin/Apollo 55 is a good idea are the ones trying to sell it to you.

I've been seeing non WAAS 430s for sale recently for $3500ish. But, just like the rest of the legacy gear, Garmin no longer supports them. If it breaks, it's a $3500 WAAS upgrade from Garmin.

If that's out of budget, I'd really stay away from installing anything. Get a portable and a RAM mount instead. Your dollar spent will be far more useful.

I know you want an IFR approach capable unit, but with what your looking at, you are really ****ing your money away. Like buying stock in a company that's already in bankruptcy proceedings.

Have you thought about what you're doing for ADS-B? I would think about that before installing the 90B...:yes:

Back