recommenations for handheld radio

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
looking for a handheld radio as backup. any recommendations? see a lot of them that boasts ILS approach and bla bla bla ... don't know how useful they are in reality

ILS on a handheld is expensive and probably useless. Major products are Icom and Yaesu and Sportys. All do the same.

Get one that takes regular batteries and throw an extra set in your flight bag. You will never remember to charge it and Murphy's law (no offese @murphey) :D states it will die when you need it most.

Yep, alkalines are the key to emergency use. I can tell you about the NORDO approach into IAD done when the handheld (Not mine) had a dead nicad pack.

It's going to be pretty hard to use a handheld in a plane while also flying the plane unless you have the headset interface for it.

I've got a Yaesu (well Vertex Standard). It's OK, but not the greatest thing in th world. My ancient SPorty's A300 that I bought from the classified section here for next to nothing is really handy. It's sitting on my desk right now (my window looks over the runway) and I use it to give a call to the passing aircraft from time to time.

Yaesu FTA-230 has worked well for me. Menu options are hard to remember so I made a cheat sheet. Have an extra antenna on the plane I plug it into if needed.

so Sporty's have http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/av...s-sp-400-handheld-nav-com-aviation-radio.html
which has a bunch of stuff like NAV/ Localizer CDI and stuff like that, which in reality might never come handy unless I loose all instruments in IMC, even then I don't know how good it actually is under such conditions.

Yaesu starts from 200 and goes to 380 with similar features like Sporty's

ICOM has one at 200, basic with internal battery that I am not too fond of

I have an ICOM with the nav function. I've played with it on the ground. It's not that useful in the air, although, I suppose in a pinch it's better than nothing if you're lost.

A GPS is much better than handheld radio nav function. The first handheld radio I owned had nav function. After it mysteriously disappeared the second handheld I bought does not have a nav function even though it meant buying new adapters for headset and external antenna.

Of course now some kindhearted, enlightened soul will argue that GPS will be unavailable when needed...it is poa afterall.

Cheapest. End of story. Check e-Bay, as a used one is fine, as is last year's model.

You're a VFR pilot. You're going to use pilotage in the event of comms failure, not a VOR or ILS.

Then, check the weather during every preflight using your handheld, and you will always know it works.

Be aware that the range of these things is often a lot less than the installed avionics.

Hell, I even use mine to find ELTs. It works almost as well as the purpose-built equipment, provided I'm within a mile or so. Detune and body shadow.

yaesu is still the best and the 230 is still available on amazon I use it as my primary com with mounted antenna, ptt, intercom, a 2 dc nc headphones it comes with a lot of the goodies

Having had a com failure and used both...the two features that I want in any handheld:

Headset adapter
Rechargeable but with a spare AA tray. I keep the tray and fresh AA batteries in my flight bag which are also backups for my ANR headset.

I have an Icom A24 which includes VOR (the A6 is the same without VOR). It works fine for my needs and I'm happy with it, but if you plan to use it with a headset you MUST also use an external antenna, otherwise RF feedback will make it impossible to transmit. The VOR function works, but if you plan to use it in an emergency you better learn to use it in advance... it's not at all the same as a standard VOR. Like most modern electronics, the programmers put lots of "gee whiz" functionality in it that only a programmer could figure out how to use.

if you plan to use it with a headset you MUST also use an external antenna, otherwise RF feedback will make it impossible to transmit

Really? You can't just move the antenna a few inches away?

The rubber ducky antenna is ok for reception, but sucks for transmission (BTDT). Second the notion to get a headset adapter.

I modify all my hand held electronics to use LiPo batteries\charger (radio control plane sources) and add a USB connector so I can plug in a whopping big extra battery pack if necessary.
Works great.
When I remember to actually pack it.

Anyone use the Yaesu FTA 550? Only $200 or so.

I use Yaesu radios in my ham shack, and so far I've been happy with them. The menus are a bit cryptic, but programming with a PC is simple.

Really? You can't just move the antenna a few inches away?

Really. It has to be several feet away from the mike wires at least, on an extension cable.

Really. It has to be several feet away from the mike wires at least, on an extension cable.

Maybe on your radio but that is not a universal problem. When I used mine with my headset adapter in flight I had zero problems transmitting and receiving without any extension and HH unit was on my lap so I could hit the Tx button...so there is that.

I can see how that "COULD" be a problem but is is certainly not a "MUST" have an external antenna.

It sounds like the headset has a bad ground to the radio.

I have the Sporty's SP-400. Use it with the headset adapter, no problem. It really works best with the antenna pointing straight up. So, I'm usually holding it away from me anyway. Haven't really used the full ILS display.

I've got three handhelds (one's dead now) and none had the problem you described. An external antenna does improve range dramatically, especially when transmitting.

It's a well known problem with certain Icom radios (A6 & A24). I'm told that some DC headsets have filtering or something that prevents the problem, but most don't.

Maybe on your radio but that is not a universal problem. When I used mine with my headset adapter in flight I had zero problems transmitting and receiving without any extension and HH unit was on my lap so I could hit the Tx button...so there is that.

I can see how that "COULD" be a problem but is is certainly not a "MUST" have an external antenna.

I have an Icom A6. Mostly I use it on the field cruising in the golf cart. Battery life has been fair. I have three batteries and they get used regularly since my copilot always has it on while she's working. (office in the hangar)

Got mine used on e-bay but it looks like Sporty's will give you new with all the adapters for ~$250.

Sorry to dig up an old post. But hand helds with bluetooth... does this mean I can use them to transmit and receive with my Bose A20s? Or should I just get the sportys pj2 pj2+ so I can just plug them in?

Thanks

I would get one with a big display, dynamic memory, and easy to use. If you need the manual to use it, it is probably too complicated for the cockpit.

I have an Icon A20. I had a belly whip installed and run to a coax connector on the bottom edge of the panel. I had a connection cable that I kept in a side pocket. I also had a headset adapter. It worked and the range was OK, as I remember.

Get one that takes regular batteries and throw an extra set in your flight bag. You will never remember to charge it and Murphy's law (no offese @murphey) :D states it will die when you need it most.

So there I was… hand helding with Icom hanging from antenna cord coming out of defunct Narco slot. Tested, seemed good…

10 miles out, turn on, get ATIS, check in with tower at 7 miles, report a 3 mile base. Roger…

Key mic at 3 miles, batteries give out… oh gawd.

Trim all out of whack (was ferrying plane to gulf shores to work on it there where I work), I’m pulling radio apart to put in new AA batteries. I’m circling, trying to not crash with my knees, batteries spilling everywhere… I was howling at the mess I’d made of this evolution.

Finally get it all back together, tower is trying get me, “we see ya circling” (plus or minus 500’ starting at 1000 feet), egad.

Get this mess all straightened out, cleared to land, “next left call ground”. Roger.

Let the radio hang from the cord again as I wrestled the next left, radio apparently not well plugged back into antenna, it falls off… here we go again…

I like @Shawn’s idea of a whole spare tray ready to go. Just sayin.

Work bought me an Icom A25C to carry in the pickup. It's a little pricey, but it receives and transmits very nicely, and the big screen is hard to dislike.

The features I want in my next handheld....
basically no features. I want it simple...no programming, no scanning, no memory
just a frequency knob, a volume knob, and a squelch knob
and I like the idea of no headset adapter required, just jacks to plug in a headset.
simple

I have an old Icom radio in my old aviation box. Haven't used it in years, forgot the model. Has a built in VOR receiver. I used to carry it around in my flight bag along with headset adapter and a spare battery tray...but every once in a while I'd pull it out to get atis or whatever on the ramp...and I'd have to pull out the manual to remind myself how to get it into the correct mode. It's just push button keypad as I recall.... that is overcomplicated with shift and function keys for different things. It would be fine if you used it all the time....but for an emergency kit it's a stupid design

I have the old-style iComm... Ic-A3 and have had it for 33 years, it has been abused (survived a rainstorm sitting on the wing all night), and still works great. I would probably go with iComm again for a new one, even though they no longer support the one I have.

The guy at West Marine told me a while back when I was looking for a new marine handheld, that Yaesu and Standard Horizon are the same company now.. If this is the case, Yaesu may be a good radio. I beat the "you know what" out of a Standard Horizon HX-255 marine radio for many years until one day she snapped off the lanyard and is now "sleeping with the fishes."

So there I was… hand helding with Icom hanging from antenna cord coming out of defunct Narco slot. Tested, seemed good…

10 miles out, turn on, get ATIS, check in with tower at 7 miles, report a 3 mile base. Roger…

Key mic at 3 miles, batteries give out… oh gawd.

Trim all out of whack (was ferrying plane to gulf shores to work on it there where I work), I’m pulling radio apart to put in new AA batteries. I’m circling, trying to not crash with my knees, batteries spilling everywhere… I was howling at the mess I’d made of this evolution.

Finally get it all back together, tower is trying get me, “we see ya circling” (plus or minus 500’ starting at 1000 feet), egad.

Get this mess all straightened out, cleared to land, “next left call ground”. Roger.

Let the radio hang from the cord again as I wrestled the next left, radio apparently not well plugged back into antenna, it falls off… here we go again…

Here's my poor-man's solution to your dilemma:

upload_2023-6-9_16-28-1.png

My Yaesu handheld is mounted to a bracket that's velcro'd to the panel. Connections to an external antenna and to my audio panel (as COM2) are on the panel with the Yaesu plugged into them. The radio is powered from an adapter plugged into the plane's cig lighter, but it has a tray with non-rechargeable lithium batteries installed (and replaced regularly). It works fine as a backup radio, and if I lose all electrical power it will keep right on working off the internal batteries. There's a headset adapter stored on the sun visor so I can plug in my headset directly when the audio panel isn't powered.

My only difficulty with this rig is that the Yaesu's squelch isn't strong enough. When I'm at altitude and tuned to a shared frequency (123.05 is shared with four or five airports in the area) the squelch is almost always opened by some distant station, so there's static much of the time. More nuisance than a real problem, and it works fine for getting AWOS or pattern communications. I mostly use it for listening to AWOS.

The features I want in my next handheld....
basically no features. I want it simple...no programming, no scanning, no memory
just a frequency knob, a volume knob, and a squelch knob
and I like the idea of no headset adapter required, just jacks to plug in a headset.
simple

I have an old Icom radio in my old aviation box. Haven't used it in years, forgot the model. Has a built in VOR receiver. I used to carry it around in my flight bag along with headset adapter and a spare battery tray...but every once in a while I'd pull it out to get atis or whatever on the ramp...and I'd have to pull out the manual to remind myself how to get it into the correct mode. It's just push button keypad as I recall.... that is overcomplicated with shift and function keys for different things. It would be fine if you used it all the time....but for an emergency kit it's a stupid design

So basically you want a Prick 77. Oh, actually those can't communicate with modern radios.

Sports that accepts headset plug works for me.

for total loss of power scenario Imc imma gonna be pic on my phone or iPad using ff

So basically you want a Prick 77. Oh, actually those can't communicate with modern radios.
PRC-77s still work fine on unencrypted FM, but they can't transmit and receive the aviation bands. And, while they're portable, they're not a "handheld."

I've got an older Icom A-22 that sits either on the table next to my desk or on the bench at the airport. I carried it for a long time but never have needed it. It has VOR/CDI mode that I used years ago (mostly for backup to the now ancient GPS that I had). It can be run on plane power with the battery case removed (small & lightweight) and I've considered wiring it in as a backup but have never gotten around to it ...

PRC-77s still work fine on unencrypted FM, but they can't transmit and receive the aviation bands. And, while they're portable, they're not a "handheld."

Weren't those phased out a couple decades ago?

I mostly use it for listening to AWOS.

Just curious if you've tried using your cell phone to get the AWOS in flight.

It usually works for me, with a phone connected to headset by Bluetooth. Just look up the airport info on Foreflight, and the phone number is right there. Touch it, and listen to the AWOS, with no static even at a considerable distance.

Just curious if you've tried using your cell phone to get the AWOS in flight.

It usually works for me, with a phone connected to headset by Bluetooth. Just look up the airport info on Foreflight, and the phone number is right there. Touch it, and listen to the AWOS, with no static even at a considerable distance.

Haven’t tried that yet, but it sounds good if I have cell coverage.

It depends on your altitude whether your cell phone works or not. And even then, it can be spotty. I get text messages sometimes in the teens, but other times there is no signal.

Contrarian here - I got tired of hauling the thing around and gave it to a friend.

Back