Recently read books - Tumult in the Clouds

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Recently read this...

Tumult in the Clouds, by James Goodson. Biographical account of the author's involvement as a fighter pilot in WWII. From the back cover ...

"Starting out flying Spitfires for 416 (Canadian) Squadron and then for an RAF Eagle Squadron, Goodson transfered over to the Thunderbolts and Mustangs of the Fourth Fighter Group with the US joined the war. Mixing it up with the Luftwaffe's very best pilots on bombing runs into the heart of Germany, Goodson scored thirty kills. But the 'King of Strafers' finally got shot down trying to attack a German rocket plane. Captured by the Gestapo and only hours away from execution, he managed to buy himself more time-and was movded to Berlin, just as Allied bombers besieged the city...

With breathtaking descriptions of aeriel dogfights and vivid portraits of the men who fought, Tumult in the Clouds is a dramatic, gripping story of courage and sacrifice-and a stunningly personal account of war."

I found this to be a well-written and very engaging book - well worth the time. Good descriptions of flying, maneuvers, engagements, development of tactics and the "make it up as you go" situations found in the early part of the war. Finishes off with very interesting stories of unusual (at least to me) situations as a POW.

I can mail this book around if anyone is interested. Email me your address, or post here if you want to read this.

Back