Recent Hospitalization

G

Hello, my medical is expiring next month and just this past week, I thought I had chest tightness which came out to musculoskeletal. However, I voluntary requested to be admitted and numerous tests were performed. In the CT Scan for Chest with contrast, they identified two, less than 25% occlusion in the LAD.

All blood work came out normal with just a slight elevated of bilirubin 1.2.

How do I go about this since medical is expiring next month?

Report it to you AME at that routine visit and have the records. He likely will issue the med certificate. The FAA may want the records

As Lou mentioned, definitely go back and get all the records you can. Films, readings, admission and discharge notes, cafeteria menu, the doctor’s golf score that day, everything.

Better to have more than what the FAA asks for and not need to send something than be short a key item, on a rapidly disappearing deadline, and a doctor or hospital department who can’t be bothered.

Thank you. I had been planning to let medical expire as I thought more testing would be needed for the AME/FAA. However, I am waiting to hear back next Wednesday from the cardiologist on the game plan and possibly a stress test may be ordered.

Is atorvastatin okay for a medical?

I highly appreciate the responses.

Report what the found,
So don’t say visited ER for chest Pains/Tightness.
Say visited ER for Pulled Muscle.
For example.

For example. For the occlusions I would consult and an expert AME Like Dr. Bruce just to be sure you understand will happen before you submit the medical application.

Thank you. I had been planning to let medical expire as I thought more testing would be needed for the AME/FAA. However, I am waiting to hear back next Wednesday from the cardiologist on the game plan and possibly a stress test may be ordered.

Is atorvastatin okay for a medical?

I highly appreciate the responses.
Atorvastatin is fine...

A stress test is ordered? A statin drug? As i have said: 'I can help ... with the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!'. Sounds like there is more to this than revealed.

However, I voluntary requested to be admitted and numerous tests were performed.
I didn't know you could request a hospital admission and CT scans. My non-professional suggestion would be to wait until you're done with the testing and you have a diagnosis (or non-diagnosis) because you're going to have to report all these visits.

A stress test is ordered? A statin drug? As i have said: 'I can help ... with the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!'. Sounds like there is more to this than revealed.

This was stated by my wife who spoke with the assistant. The internal medicine dr prescribed me the statin as my cholesterol was at 112 and the dr recommended it to be under 100 and that the statin is a low dose of 10 mg.

Only the LAD have the 2, less than 25%.

I didn't know you could request a hospital admission and CT scans. My non-professional suggestion would be to wait until you're done with the testing and you have a diagnosis (or non-diagnosis) because you're going to have to report all these visits.

As I met the ER doctor, she explained ekg and blood work came back normal except for my BP which was through the roof due to my extreme nervousness of the situation. She explained that the hospital would admire me should I choose to have further evaluation which I obliged.

I appreciate your suggestion. Thank you!

Based on what you have told us, you did not have a Basic Med disqualifying cardiac event as defined. So is there a reason you need to have an FAA medical rather than changing to Basic Med?

These are the disqualifying Basic Med cardiac events:
"(3) A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
(i) Myocardial infarction;
(ii) Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
(iii) Cardiac valve replacement; or
(iv) Heart replacement.

This could be between you and your internist.
Jon

Based on what you have told us, you did not have a Basic Med disqualifying cardiac event as defined. So is there a reason you need to have an FAA medical rather than changing to Basic Med?

These are the disqualifying Basic Med cardiac events:
"(3) A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
(i) Myocardial infarction;
(ii) Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
(iii) Cardiac valve replacement; or
(iv) Heart replacement.

This could be between you and your internist.
Jon

Thank you. No, while I was aware of basic Med, I did not know basic Med would be the same as 3rd class medical, just the requirements of flying are different.

Thank you to everyone!

I noticed item 18 on the form "Admission to hospital" does that mean actual admission. I know hospitals do not classify a ER visit as an admission they consider it outpatient.

I noticed item 18 on the form "Admission to hospital" does that mean actual admission. I know hospitals do not classify a ER visit as an admission they consider it outpatient.

Yes, it means actual admission to the hospital. Never read anything into a government form that isn't there.

Yes, it means actual admission to the hospital. Never read anything into a government form that isn't there.

How does anyone get any information of hospital visits when they were kids like 45 years ago? Both my parents have passed on, my doctor at that time passed away 30 years ago I don't even remember his name. The hospital was demolished in the 1990s and a hotel was built there. I guess just do the best you can huh what you can remember?

The standard is "to the best of your knowledge". Reasonably-attainable information. Don't intentionally hide information, but you are under no obligation to assume something was worse/more serious than it actually was.

If one had chest pain and they go to the ER. The ER determines there is no issue with the heart maybe they find it was acid reflux from eating spicy food, and one was never admitted officially it was outpatient according to hospital standards then why would one have to list it on that form under item 18? If you were told to follow up with a cardiologist who did a stress test and found nothing wrong but was more then 10 years ago none of this would need to be disclosed I'm assuming since it exceeds 3 years which was the limit for doctors seen.

The OP he claims he was "voluntary admitted" I suspect that is not the case. Just visiting the ER doesn't mean your admitted they do run all those test. Blood work, EKG, hours of observation run blood work again still it's considered outpatient. In my case they gave me some kind of lidocaine liquid to drink which instantly removed the pain that determined the pain was caused by acid reflux. They still did all the blood work check the heart since I had a family history of heart diseases I've never had high cholesterol like they did.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back