Received special issuance with unattainable request??

Pilotparent

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pilotparent
Ok, I realize that in the grand scheme, this is not a huge deal but I’m very confused and not sure what to do. My son got a special issuance medical certificate due to taking an SSRI during his teen years. We jumped through the hoops, saw an AMAZING Neuropsychologist in SLC who gave him his 16 hours of tests, her name is Dr. Sugerman, by the way..AMAZING! Anyway, part of the special issuance is to see a Psychiatrist 1 time a month from September to December at which time we need to send In the 4 months of reports as well as a report from the instructor pilot. Here is the 2 issues....finding a psychiatrist in Utah and the second is the special issuance expires December 31, 2019 and the reports need to be sent 60 days prior to the expiration .His reports must include the report from December and 60 days prior would be October 31, therefore making their requests not possible. When he called he was told that his certificate would lapse in coverage if it was not sent in with enough time to examine it and make a decision . Hummmm??? Also, is a tele psychiatrist acceptable?

Last edited:
Since he was issued a SSRI SI, I assume he has a HIMS-AME. Your questions should be directed to that doctor. Also, your son may have to travel to see doctors for the duration of the SI. No telepsychiatry, though such a thing exists, will not work with the FAA.

Is he planning to fly for a living?
Yes. He is.
Since he was issued a SSRI SI, I assume he has a HIMS-AME. Your questions should be directed to that doctor. Also, your son may have to travel to see doctors for the duration of the SI. No telepsychiatry, though such a thing exists, will not work with the FAA.

Thank you for this info. We are not opposed to travel but it is proving difficult with his class schedule and flight schedule. My main concern is the timeline of the required documents. I will contact the AME . Thanks!!

Ok, I realize that in the grand scheme, this is not a huge deal but I’m very confused and not sure what to do. My son got a special issuance medical certificate due to taking an SSRI during his teen years. We jumped through the hoops, saw an AMAZING Neuropsychologist in SLC who gave him his 16 hours of tests, her name is Dr. Sugerman, by the way..AMAZING! Anyway, part of the special issuance is to see a Psychiatrist 1 time a month from September to December at which time we need to send In the 4 months of reports as well as a report from the instructor pilot. Here is the 2 issues....finding a psychiatrist in Utah and the second is the special issuance expires December 31, 2019 and the reports need to be sent 60 days prior to the expiration .His reports must include the report from December and 60 days prior would be October 31, therefore making their requests not possible. When he called he was told that his certificate would lapse in coverage if it was not sent in with enough time to examine it and make a decision . Hummmm??? Also, is a tele psychiatrist acceptable?

What date did you submit in December 2018? I was December 16 and hoping for a response soon. Thanks.

We submitted the initial report and got an SI within weeks, it’s the follow up reports that’s are odd. They want them 60 days prior to the expiration date of the SI, which is Dec . 31, 2019, but they must include Setpember, October , November and December reports from the BCP, making it impossible to meet the either 60 day prior to expiration date AND to include the December report. We are going to have to refer this back to the HIIMS AME.

We submitted the initial report and got an SI within weeks, it’s the follow up reports that’s are odd. They want them 60 days prior to the expiration date of the SI, which is Dec . 31, 2019, but they must include Setpember, October , November and December reports from the BCP, making it impossible to meet the either 60 day prior to expiration date AND to include the December report. We are going to have to refer this back to the HIIMS AME.
I am convinced, over 30 years as a contractor for the DOD and DOT, that there's a GS-2 sitting in the basement of the Pentagon whose sole purpose is to select deadlines based on calendars designed to make it incredibly inconvenient, almost impossible, to meet the deadlines. I've had contractual due dates on the Friday after Turkey Day, Dec 31, Dec 26, Jan 2, and so on.

They, like all of us make mistakes. The folks in certification can clear this up, but it is usually the AME, in this case the HIMS-AME's job.

I am convinced, over 30 years as a contractor for the DOD and DOT, that there's a GS-2 sitting in the basement of the Pentagon whose sole purpose is to select deadlines based on calendars designed to make it incredibly inconvenient, almost impossible, to meet the deadlines. I've had contractual due dates on the Friday after Turkey Day, Dec 31, Dec 26, Jan 2, and so on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back