Reccomendations for an airport at Branson, MO

IceDown

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
IceDown
I'm heading to Branson this weekend and was looking at the available airports. Any suggestions on which one to pop in on?

My favorite is Branson West , FWB There are no landing fees and minimal parking fees. They met my plane with the rental car, a bottle of cold water for each of us, and quickly tied down the plane for me. I have used them 3 times and they have been great each time.

Point lookout every time. It's right in town. The kids are waterskiing less than an hour after touchdown.

Point Lookout is the closest. I found everything I needed there. Branson West is the new, privately built multi-million airport. It has regular passenger airline service. I have no experience with it for GA aircraft.

Point Lookout is the closest. I found everything I needed there. Branson West is the new, privately built multi-million airport. It has regular passenger airline service. I have no experience with it for GA aircraft.

KBBG is the airport that is South of Branson(not Branson West). I believe that KBBG is where the commercial service is at this time. KBBG will waive the landing and parking fees with a minimum fuel purchase. According to the website, it may be from 5-100 gallons depending on type. I did go there for a PiperSport/SportCruiser get together and it was very accommodating as well.

No, Branson "is the new, privately built multi-million airport. It has regular passenger airline service." and it's not very GA friendly. Branson WEST, OTOH, is about the same age but out on THE WEST end of town (hence the name).

I NEVER liked point lookout when I lived in the area (from 99 to 08). Back then it was run by the college, (i think that's no longer the case). They had landings fees, lazy kids in the FBO, etc.

I've heard and experienced nothing but good about Branson West.

But the larger question is...

Why would anyone in their right mind (under 80 and who doesn't wear black wrap around sunglasses) be going to Branson?

Last edited:
Why would anyone in their right mind (under 80 and who doesn't wear black wrap around sunglasses) be going to Branson?

1. It's a free trip. All I have to do is get there.
2. We have an exchange student that loves riding horses so we are taking her to the stampede.

Thanks for all the input. I'll probably give Point Lookout a try.

Last edited:
I just got back a few weeks ago.
I wanted to go to Branson West, but they had no cars available.

Downtown (Point Lookout) was close. They can't waive the $10/night parking fee. They were friendly, no issues.
They used to have airline service there, so Avis is right there in the terminal. Make your car reservation and call ahead, they'll have it waiting for you.

clearly there is nothing for younger people to do in branson. You can see how much our kids hate it. It may look like they are running to get in the plane to go but really they must just want to get it over with.

Attachments

• kids hate branson 1.jpg
    kids hate branson 1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 18
  • kids hate branson 2.jpg
    kids hate branson 2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 18
My wife and I went to Branson about seven times, spaced about a year apart, and never even considered going to a show. There is a ton of stuff to do there that has nothing to do with tour buses.

Tim Winters, I normally agree with you, but not on this one. I think you must have made a wrong turn on hwy 76.

By the way, Dick's 5 and 10, in old Branson has some incredible aviation art, each one signed by the pilot that the art depicts. It's free to come in and browse.

From their website: Dick’s Oldtime 5 & 10 features over 100 aviation prints, primarily from WWII, which are autographed by the pilots and crew associated with the aircraft. Various prints with autographs include the Black Sheep Squadron, the Flying Tigers, the Memphis Belle, the Enola Gay and many more. Dick’s has one of the best private collections of autographed aviation prints in the country. This collection is ever expanding as several new prints are added each year.

http://dicksoldtime5and10.com/collections/#aviation

Last edited:
Tim Winters, I normally agree with you, but not on this one. I think you must have made a wrong turn on hwy 76.
Yeah, I'm admittedly jaded. I was with a very large Springfield construction company back in the 80s and 90s. We built a lot of the stuff in Branson. Roy Clark's (Lodge of the Ozarks), the "red roof mall", Shoji's, The Osmonds, Charlie Pride, Dixie Stampede, etc., etc., etc. I was FORCED to go to many of the shows after the "theatres" opened. Ugggh.

I was also quite saddened by the "tearing the mountains down while the town got high" syndrome. It used to be a beautiful area. Tablerock used to have visibility to 60' or 70" for the scuba contingent. Not any more, you're lucky if you get 10'

Also back then, there were no building regulations to speak of in the area. On many projects we picked up our building permit and Certificate of Occupancy on the same day. We were a quality contractor and didn't cut corners, but there were many fly-by-nights in that area at the time (because there were no controls) and there are a LOT of buildings in Branson that you wouldn't catch me stepping foot in.

Lastly, Branson's boom brought in all kinds of "bad money" from out of state. There were more people out to screw you in that town than there were honest ones. We (the construction company) got screwed our share of times. Sure, Missouri has pretty good lien laws but it's the old blood/turnip story. We actually wound up owning one theater for a while.

If you're coming for the lake experience more than the "Branson" experience, then I might suggest Bull Shoals or Norfolk. They're much cleaner and Mountain Home, AR or Gaston's could be used for "base". Mountain Home is a great town. It's not your typical Arkansas Hillbilly town...it's been populated by refugees from Northern Illinois for years...like since the early 70s. It's a very clean town.

Back