Recap and Video - First Stage 2 Flight re Pilotage

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
Here’s a video of my first "Stage 2" flight lesson re pilotage, mistakes and all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6w-UxtaNQ

We flew a round-trip circuit in the Los Angeles basin, staying above the ceilings of some delta class airspace and below the floors of the LAX bravo shelves.

I played around with Adobe Premiere’s “Write-On” effect to animate our flight path onto a TAC. Goofy, but fun to try…

On most of my Stage 1 lessons, we made a sharp left after a 190 departure to fly on a 080 heading to the El Toro practice area located to the east of the airport. But today, I did my first "Mesa 220" departure toward the coast, flew west along the coastlines of Huntington Beach, Long Beach, and San Pedro to the Vincent Thomas bridge, turned north and flew along the 110 freeway to the 91 freeway, turned east and flew along the 91 to Fullerton/Disneyland, and then returned to John Wayne via Mile Square Park. I even did my first tower crossing to join the left traffic pattern for runway 19L. No blimps were harmed in the filming of this video.

So, the "firsts" for me on this flight include:
  • Contacting clearance delivery for a “departure” as opposed to a “local”
  • Dealing with departure
  • Flying to the west of the airport
  • Seeing Huntington Beach, Long Beach, Seal Beach, etc., from the air
  • Dialing in a VOR and figuring out which radial I’m on
  • Determining the length of a nearby airport's longest runway from my chart while in flight (but didn’t quite do it right)
  • Staying in touch with SoCal Approach during the entire flight
  • Flying below bravo shelves
  • Seeing a blimp pointed at me while in the air (it was quite a bit lower)
  • Getting ATIS from the controller (I was expecting to temporarily change frequency, but he just gave it to us)
  • Flying through the Disney TFR (which is perfectly ok, I'm told, so long as you’re in communication with ATC)
  • Crossing over the tower and runway 19R, from the west, to join left traffic for 19L

Couple of dumb questions: Since SoCal Approach stayed with us during our entire loop around the LA area, is that the same as “flight following?” And, after we reached our initially cleared destination (Long Beach Practice Area) and advised them of our intent to fly around LA, could they have declined to stay with us?

Congratulations! I've flown in and out of KSNA dozens of times over the years and miss that good old "turn right heading 220, maintain VFR at or below 2,400." Brought back some good memories.

Here's my take on the answers to your questions:

Yes, your time with SoCal approach was essentially VFR flight following.

Yes, SoCal could have dumped you as long as you were outside class B or C airspace. I've heard them dump VFR GA guys that were acting like idiots (missing radio calls, busting altitudes, etc.). But you would have had to re-establish radio contact with them prior to re-entering KSNA's class C airspace.

Nice flight, looked like fun. And I thought your drawing of the flight path on the TAC was pretty cool.

Learning to fly in that busy, complicated airspace will serve you very well.

Wow...what a great video! Keep up the good work. Is that the famous LA smog I hear about?

Nice job. I operated out of LAX (CGASLA)for four years and never got tired of motoring along the coastline north or south. Some great scenery and really professional ATC crew. Keep it up!!

I'm really liking your videos! Thanks for posting. I must admit I'm not familiar with the type of plane you are flying. Looks pretty nice though! Congrats on the progress.

I'm jealous! I'm pre-solo, and the farthest I've gone from my home airport is 18NM (and only once, after my CFI and I were worn out from 4 weeks of pattern and ground reference work). Add in that I basically live in cow country, with zero exciting things to look at out the windows, and I'm really wishing I was there with you!

Great video, great piloting, and overall great job!

I'm really liking your videos! Thanks for posting. I must admit I'm not familiar with the type of plane you are flying. Looks pretty nice though! Congrats on the progress.

Thanks! The videos are fun to make and they really help me retain my infrequent training.

The plane is an Evektor Sportstar, an LSA made by a company in the Czech Republic. It's a fun, relatively inexpensive, and responsive ride, but it's a little plane. Someday downstream, with PPL in hand, I would like to get some time in a Cessna 172 and Diamond Star DA40.

Thanks! The videos are fun to make and they really help me retain my infrequent training.

The plane is an Evektor Sportstar, an LSA made by a company in the Czech Republic. It's a fun, relatively inexpensive, and responsive ride, but it's a little plane. Someday downstream, with PPL in hand, I would like to get some time in a Cessna 172 and Diamond Star DA40.

Nice- yeah it does look small but luckily it looks like your CFI is also small. I noticed it seems to really rocket off the runway on takeoff. I fly a 172 and they don't climb so fast. At least in your videos it looks like your at 500ft in about 10 seconds! Never flew a DA40 but they look sportier than the 172.

Good work. I guess you can also say the sport star really "jumps" off the runway.

I'm jealous! I'm pre-solo, and the farthest I've gone from my home airport is 18NM (and only once, after my CFI and I were worn out from 4 weeks of pattern and ground reference work). Add in that I basically live in cow country, with zero exciting things to look at out the windows, and I'm really wishing I was there with you!

Great video, great piloting, and overall great job!

Actually, to me, your rural part of the world sounds equally beautiful.

I'm barely past my pre-solo days, but I'm loving the new challenges. Can't wait to "go somewhere."

Back